What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (65 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Added some Amber pro style grill LEDs and fog / spot lights to my new trail gear bumper

624E49E1-A1C8-4261-A46D-4275E154513A.jpeg

03F22F14-7B34-4480-8AAC-82036008A719.jpeg

3D9EC825-C74B-46F5-9B3D-870C6B192C2D.jpeg

28666196-3519-48BB-B3B2-EC53858DAF20.jpeg

94CFB3AE-DC4A-4F70-A058-4280ED6CAFD9.jpeg

Wheeled some muddy tracks in the Mammut Park here in germany. Decided that I had to follow the 2 short Lada Niva's. Got stuck in a mud hole. Flooded the truck up to the seats. Killed the alternator. Flooded all light housings.
Drove back 180mls without any working electrics.
God bless that rediculous slow 1hz engine that needs nothing except diesel and oil. Will post more pictures as soon as I get them as well a short video of the trails.

View attachment 2135541

View attachment 2135542

View attachment 2135543
Your frame and all of the body cavities will be filled with mud most likely if it was submurged.

any idea what kind of weight thats all clocking??
not sure yet as I haven’t put it on a scale but it’s lighter than the Cummins for sure.

Spend sunday to remove the carpet and seats to clean the inside of the flooded HZJ. Had some time left to remove the headlights, parking lights and turn signals. I was suprised how much water and mud was inside those housings. I am happy to have all of them brand new in stock and will replace them next weekend. If anybody is intrested how to remove headlights and grille, I made a video of that. Can be helpful if you have to change bulbs too. Hope you guys enjoy it. I also plan on making the new headlights "watersafe" as well as installing breathers.

New wheels, went with armory rims because they negate the need for spacers. and finally got 2nd red winch installed and working. and now Im out the door heading south to potts mtn, and Uwharrie.
DSCN2319.JPG
DSCN2325.JPG
DSCN2320.JPG
DSCN2321.JPG

So overall from last road trip I did
300M axles RCV all around from Ozark overland outfitters (best price)
aisin locking hubs with 300M inserts Slee
marlin crawler in a new TC I totally rebuilt acuator and all bearings,races etc and a Mark adaptor PT spool
totally replaced entire braking system MC to pads ALL OEM expcept for EBC rotors
So time to see if it all works as it should.

This is pretty darn close to the tipping point ;). Without the yellow strap, if you went about 6"higher with the forks it would be possible to manually push it over onto its side. Great access to the underside though..:)

View attachment 2133281
So, what angle do you think that is on one of those $15 tip-o-meter guages that a lot of us have stuck somewhere inside our cockpit?? 25 - 30 degrees?

Stock Land Cruiser, 50 degrees I would bet. All bets are off with modifications.

The calculation to figure it out is:

Angle = tan^-1 ((track width/2)/height of center of gravity))

So, what angle do you think that is on one of those $15 tip-o-meter guages that a lot of us have stuck somewhere inside our cockpit?? 25 - 30 degrees?

Last edited:
It took a lot of french words, pipe wrench and section of the floor jack handle to finally loosen the drag link and re-centered my steering wheel. Now I just need to figure out why my whole car shakes and shimmies at certain speed, could be the tires so will go in for a balance soon.

felt really sad since I saw the thread about Kevin/Tools’ passing. Used many tips from him especially around the front axle. I know we don’t live forever but still felt sad and little empty working on my 80 today.

It took a lot of french words, pipe wrench and section of the floor jack handle to finally loosen the drag link and re-centered my steering wheel. Now I just need to figure out why my whole car shakes and shimmies at certain speed, could be the tires so will go in for a balance soon.

felt really sad since I saw the thread about Kevin/Tools’ passing. Used many tips from him especially around the front axle. I know we don’t live forever but still felt sad and little empty working on my 80 today.

Well, that's good to hear that the drag link adjustment fixed your steering wheel issue. That is a bit strange though it happened in the first place after the Surf n Turf. Could you see if the tube was bent at all? It may have just bent a hair. Not a big deal obviously.

Also I know you're a full time member here, but did you check your 4 lower knuckle nuts to ensure they weren't backing off?

Well, that's good to hear that the drag link adjustment fixed your steering wheel issue. That is a bit strange though it happened in the first place after the Surf n Turf. Could you see if the tube was bent at all? It may have just bent a hair. Not a big deal obviously.

Also I know you're a full time member here, but did you check your 4 lower knuckle nuts to ensure they weren't backing off?

I was really puzzled myself that the steering wheel went really off centered with that one good hit. I was under it multiple times with a straight edge trying to figured out what got bent but found everything in good order. One of the first thing I check was the knuckle studs because I had a broken stud not that long ago and they seem to be tight so this whole thing had me scratching my head. Part of the reason it took so long for me to work on the drag link is because I was certain that something had to be broken. :crybaby:

I was talking to a buddy mine who has a Jeep and he said he had similar problems before he got hydro assist where after every wheeling trip his steering wheel was off and had to be adjusted. Nothing was broken and he doesn’t know why it does it every time but just happens so I’m hoping there is some sort “fuse” mechanism in the 80 that goes es a little inside of the steering box and Once set off I just need the drag link adjusted.

Last edited:
Swapped a knock sensor. Then suffered through search disfunction chasing a PO758 with no success yet. Passed the first two FSM tests but hoping its not a solenoid. Easy repair till you have to drop the IPOR skid. Doh.

Oh yeah, Why does it always rain on the days you have avail for wrenching?

I was talking to a buddy mine who has a Jeeo and he said he had similar problems before he got hydro assist where after every wheeling trip his steering wheel was off and had to be adjusted. Nothing was broken and he doesn’t know why it does it every time but just happens so I’m hoping there is some sort “fuse” mechanism in the 80 that goes es a little inside of the steering box and Once set off I just need the drag link adjusted.

Having had a steering box apart for a reseal, I can tell you there is nothing in there that isn't solid. Any chance you twisted the sector (output) shaft? A little twist will be very noticeable at the steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom