What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the ole 91 TLC out for a solid 500 mile trek this weekend. Went from Portland to the Painted Hills of Oregon. Took the long route through the north. Prior to this she got a coolant flush. Surprisingly an old 3fe running stock gears and 35’s did amazing! Best part of the trip was my family had an amazing time!

A49DDF19-550E-4548-9F8C-2A45D3DF4289.jpeg

4DE0EFDE-FCA3-4F18-AA58-DD185F0C8D93.jpeg

B895924F-3296-48C9-B782-2486408E27B3.jpeg

Took the ole 91 TLC out for a solid 500 mile trek this weekend. Went from Portland to the Painted Hills of Oregon. Took the long route through the north. Prior to this she got a coolant flush. Surprisingly an old 3fe running stock gears and 35’s did amazing! Best part of the trip was my family had an amazing time! View attachment 1964632View attachment 1964633

View attachment 1964636

View attachment 1964637

View attachment 1964638

Good looking rig, that looks like a fun trip. It's nice when you can focus on the trip and enjoy the surroundings instead of worrying about overheating and blowing a head gasket the entire time like all the folks with the mighty 1fzfe.

I towed mine out to Moab for a week wheeling fun/ Cruise Moab
D28A087A-ECAA-4DE7-A992-F4AE92543B81.jpeg
5A7D0DD5-42CF-4862-B5F5-3E78A6E72509.jpeg

Good looking rig, that looks like a fun trip. It's nice when you can focus on the trip and enjoy the surroundings instead of worrying about overheating and blowing a head gasket the entire time like all the folks with the mighty 1fzfe.
I am feeling for Overland Bound on Instagram today. He lost his motor mid trip this weekend...yes it was a 1fz... there was quite an interest amount of feedback as I was selecting my TLC, a lot of people talking about horsepower and the 3fe’s lack there in but I was able to run stock gears, 35” tires and a loaded rig up and down the cascade mountains this weekend at speeds of 65+- I’m. not sure I would go much faster.

Does that have a temperature relay too or is it just on/off? One could easily be added I guess...

:hmm:

Just On - Off, our PlugNPlay the wiring is meant to be simple and reliable for the DIY guy. The only option is power with the key on or off.

As for custom switching the only limit is ones knowledge.

Took the ole 91 TLC out for a solid 500 mile trek this weekend. Went from Portland to the Painted Hills of Oregon. Took the long route through the north. Prior to this she got a coolant flush. Surprisingly an old 3fe running stock gears and 35’s did amazing! Best part of the trip was my family had an amazing time! View attachment 1964632View attachment 1964633

View attachment 1964636

View attachment 1964637

View attachment 1964638

Those are the 16x10 ET38s right? Look siq!

I am feeling for Overland Bound on Instagram today. He lost his motor mid trip this weekend...yes it was a 1fz... there was quite an interest amount of feedback as I was selecting my TLC, a lot of people talking about horsepower and the 3fe’s lack there in but I was able to run stock gears, 35” tires and a loaded rig up and down the cascade mountains this weekend at speeds of 65+- I’m. not sure I would go much faster.

I think both engines are similarly reliable as long as the cooling systems are kept in good condition, but the 3f-e seems to have a more resilient stock cooling system, although at this age I would trust nothing that’s original so it’s kind of a moot point.

I also have an fj80 on 35s with stock gears and make it around OK.

I think both engines are similarly reliable as long as the cooling systems are kept in good condition, but the 3f-e seems to have a more resilient stock cooling system, although at this age I would trust nothing that’s original so it’s kind of a moot point.

I also have an fj80 on 35s with stock gears and make it around OK.
I would agree with the perspective that anything 27yo needs good maintenance! I am currently working to replace all soft hoses and looking into radiators since, like so many have said, it’s reliable so long as it’s maintained properly!

I think unfortunately the problem with the 1FZ is that it was designed and engineered right at the time the use of asbestos was no longer allowed/practiced in head gasket manufacture and Toyota had not yet figured out how to do head gaskets that were not asbestos. Today you do not see cars with composite gaskets. It is my opinion eventually all the non-asbestos gaskets will fail. I think the later released revision for the 1FZ head gasket will give a longer than 20 year life.

"Nunney, M. J. (1998). Light & Heavy Vehicle Technology. Elsevier. p. 23. ISBN 0-7506-3827-3. Since exposure to asbestos is now recognized as being a health hazard [...] the manufacture of non-asbestos cylinder head gaskets has now become established."

I would agree with the perspective that anything 27yo needs good maintenance! I am currently working to replace all soft hoses and looking into radiators since, like so many have said, it’s reliable so long as it’s maintained properly!

I towed mine out to Moab for a week wheeling fun/ Cruise MoabView attachment 1964816View attachment 1964817

I really like the cutout area of the trailer to use for multiple things: You can use it as a maintenance "lift" or have the storage area for the firewood that stays dry if you park a vehicle above it. The only thing that is MAYBE doesn't help with is the road grime coming up from underneath.

Otherwise, I think that's some of the most innovational use of a trailer I've ever seen!

15x10!s since I have the original brake setup. I just went through the brakes about 2 months ago, new fluid, new rotors, new pads, adjusted everything, new SS brake lines. Stops on a dime!View attachment 1964893View attachment 1964894

Even better! I so wish I could run 15x10s instead of 16x10s on my '97. I consider our D windows here the best looking truck wheels of all time. Insane that they offer ET38s which offers a perfect visual poke/width against the 80 series OEM "widebody" fenders.

Looks dope, man.

56433609137--90DE2DFA-1892-42D9-BBC1-68D6C2573C5C.JPG

If I get off my lazy arse, I need to spec out a set of Rotiforms below, but the widest they go is 9.5" on 16s. Want the same or slightly more aggressive poke than my current steelies which feature the same offset/width as your 15s.

rotiform_brian_g_wagen_on_35s_12223.jpg
rotiform_brian_g_wagen_on_35s_12223.jpg

Last edited:
Even better! I so wish I could run 15x10s instead of 16x10s on my '97. I consider our D windows here the best looking truck wheels of all time. Insane that they offer ET38s which offers a perfect visual poke/width against the 80 series OEM "widebody" fenders.

Looks dope, man.

View attachment 1965164
There’s a reason why they call it DOPE.

I'm in the 3fe boat with my 91' - not a problem to cruise at 75 with 33"x10.5's. Low speed power is no issue either. Nice rig to take to Moab, but now I'm feeling I also need a car trailer to pull my 80 behind my TC. Edit - I had the carpet pulled so I washed it, came out pretty good.

I shouldn't knock the 1fzfe, I drove one with a turbo and it was really fun. Plus I will curse myself and my 3fe might blow up.... Knock on wood not the 1fzfe

I shouldn't knock the 1fzfe, I drove one with a turbo and it was really fun. Plus I will curse myself and my 3fe might blow up.... Knock on wood not the 1fzfe
funny was thinking I was jinxing myself too, by writing how my 3fe is just fine. Yep- knocking on Wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom