What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (111 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been running a Labs rear with no swingout and the spare inside. Got a little tired of the room the spare was taking up so snagged a used Wilco Hitchgate Solo this morning. The original owner modified it for high clearance bumpers so it worked out perfect. Pretty happy with it so far.

WILCO Solo.jpg

Been running a Labs rear with no swingout and the spare inside. Got a little tired of the room the spare was taking up so snagged a used Wilco Hitchgate Solo this morning. The original owner modified it for high clearance bumpers so it worked out perfect. Pretty happy with it so far.

View attachment 1912099
So whatcha gonna do with the interior carrier? I could use one if you're parting ways...

So whatcha gonna do with the interior carrier? I could use one if you're parting ways...

That was part of the issue, I never really had one. Just strapped to an ARB drawer.

It was buy one from Phil or find an alternative. Didn't want to put it on top, didn't want to modify the labs rear, so went with a used Wilco that kinda just fell in my lap.

Just added this to the stable. 1996, One owner, Locked.

So, Az got a ton of snow, and as many city dwellers did, we drove to it. Snow brings out the stupid in many people and then it shows, cause they are stuck. At 5:00 I pulled out a jeep who thought he could pull out this suburban.....

Well, suburban had slid off the road kinda into a edge of a wash, i thought it would be no big deal to pull him out, 3.5hrs later I figured out i was wrong.

Guy had a 2yo, 4yo and his wife in it, no jackets or cold weather gear. Stock suburban with street tires on 20” wheels, open diffs.

So we got to digging and started pulling on him in my 1995 tlc with 4.88’s, lockers and 37’s. He kept sliding down the hill although i was getting him closer to the road(1/4 mile away). After getting him halfway back but slid down the embankment farther, i started to think I wouldn’t be able to do it alone. So a f250 tried to help, nearly got stuck 2x himself, a trd 4runner tried and did better than the ferd, but not enought to waste my time.

Finally i figured i could go past him, yank his front end up the trail, and i did. Then got past him again to spin him 180*, which i did. Then yanked his ass(ice started to form on packed snow making it hard to walk or drive on. But i could dig through and into the dirt, these falken mt’s are pretty damn nice.

At 8:30 i finally got him to the road without breaking anything on his or my ride. Aired up and drove home. Its hard to beat a 80 series and someone too dumb to quit trying. I’m exhausted.

Suburban was listing about 15* and at one point on only 3 tires, almost slid down into a 15-20’ deep concrete culvert. Kinda like a mini bridge.

Half way out

As im trying to yank this fat pig out, these dumb broads are in my way and taking selfies. Fml

Half way out

So, Az got a ton of snow, and as many city dwellers did, we drove to it. Snow brings out the stupid in many people and then it shows, cause they are stuck. At 5:00 I pulled out a jeep who thought he could pull out this suburban.....

Well, suburban had slid off the road kinda into a edge of a wash, i thought it would be no big deal to pull him out, 3.5hrs later I figured out i was wrong.

Guy had a 2yo, 4yo and his wife in it, no jackets or cold weather gear. Stock suburban with street tires on 20” wheels, open diffs.

So we got to digging and started pulling on him in my 1995 tlc with 4.88’s, lockers and 37’s. He kept sliding down the hill although i was getting him closer to the road(1/4 mile away). After getting him halfway back but slid down the embankment farther, i started to think I wouldn’t be able to do it alone. So a f250 tried to help, nearly got stuck 2x himself, a trd 4runner tried and did better than the ferd, but not enought to waste my time.

Finally i figured i could go past him, yank his front end up the trail, and i did. Then got past him again to spin him 180*, which i did. Then yanked his ass(ice started to form on packed snow making it hard to walk or drive on. But i could dig through and into the dirt, these falken mt’s are pretty damn nice.

At 8:30 i finally got him to the road without breaking anything on his or my ride. Aired up and drove home. Its hard to beat a 80 series and someone too dumb to quit trying. I’m exhausted.

View attachment 1912387
Suburban was listing about 15* and at one point on only 3 tires, almost slid down into a 15-20’ deep concrete culvert. Kinda like a mini bridge.

View attachment 1912388

View attachment 1912389
Half way out

View attachment 1912390As im trying to yank this fat pig out, these dumb broads are in my way and taking selfies. Fml

View attachment 1912391
Half way out

The wife and I went up north as well yesterday. We got about 20-25 miles south of Payson. We did not venture off road due to her back but did get out and play in the snow. Our s***zu was not too happy when he sank in the snow and his penis/balls were resting on the snow.

The wife and I went up north as well yesterday. We got about 20-25 miles south of Payson. We did not venture off road due to her back but did get out and play in the snow. Our s***zu was not too happy when he sank in the snow and his penis/balls were resting on the snow.
s***, thats how far we were, roughly. We stopped at sunflower then went up to the next road which i think is 19 miles from payson.

s***, thats how far we were, roughly. We stopped at sunflower then went up to the next road which i think is 19 miles from payson.

The plan was to stop at Sunflower but it appeared out of nowhere and we kept going. I think we used the upper Sycamore Creek turn off. We were up there from 330-till about 5 pm.

How did the LC pull the hills with 4.88s? I definitely need to re-gear after driving those hills with stock gears and 35's.

The plan was to stop at Sunflower but it appeared out of nowhere and we kept going. I think we used the upper Sycamore Creek turn off. We were up there from 330-till about 5 pm.

How did the LC pull the hills with 4.88s? I definitely need to re-gear after driving those hills with stock gears and 35's.
Thats where we were!!!!

Spent some quality time this weekend implementing some much needed maintenance items. Cooling system had been s*** going up hills. Often had to stop to let it cool once the scan guage read 225 F degrees.

Started Fri and wrapped it all up by Sunday. Actual work time ~ 8 hours. Afew headaches along the way - drilling out 4 out of 7 screw on the oil pump cover, pulling the radiator out without removing the battery box to name but afew. Initially, I'd thought the crank bolt would be the worst of them all, but given the fact that I had the radiator out, getting the impact wrench in there made it a breeze.

End results: Immediate rewards project. Cooler temps on hill climbs, better sounds from the engine bay, no more oil drips on the garage floor.

Front brakes, the 91 FJ80 was pulling hard to passenger and had a bad shimmy and was generally unpleasant to drive... soooo I found both front wheel bearings were loose, driver side was in good condition with no signs of a leaky oil seal, passenger side was a little worse, slight oil penetration. When taking it apart I found the preload nut was finger loose. Cleaned it all up and packed it with fresh grease. Tightened it to spec per the FSM, put on the new rotors, rebuilt the passenger side brake caliper (yes i rebuild them cause $12.00 is a lot less than $60.00) new OEM pads and Rotors. Blead the system (to include the master cylinder). Took her out and bedded the new rotors and pads in. Performed a few test stops and she is locking up hard! All the chatter about the FJ80 having bad brakes is nonsense. I have a loaded 1991 with bumpers, 35" Wrangler MTR's and she tips the scales empty at 6000lbs and she stops on a dime after a refresh of the brake system. Still haven't even replaced the rear drums.

Now to address the haters:
Yes I need to replace the wheel bearings
Yes I need to rebuild the front axles
Yes there are many things I could have done while in there
So why didn't I?
Simple answer, she needs new birfs... not this very second but before the end of spring. She is also getting 5.29 gears.
So when the members get pulled to have the new gears installed and she is going to be out of commission I plan to rebuild the front axles with new birfs and EVERYTHING (except front brakes).

2ui7ct.jpg

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

Finished and installed my half drawer system. It is nice to have all my tools contained, at easy access, and no rattles heard while driving 👍.

I ended up using 3/4" plywood for the entire project and, though heavy, I am pleased with the result. I debated back and forth over the ball bearling slide/no slide design and I am glad I opted for slides (34" 9308E Accuride lock in/lock out). I have ~ 200lbs of parts/tools/fluids in the drawer and I cant imagine trying to open that to full extension with UHMW strips.

Initial mockup and gluing of external cabinet. Wing to the side will eventually hold auxiliary battery for solar charging system.

Interior drawer made with dado channels every 3" to make adjustable compartments with removable dividers. Drawer endplate with no hardware drawer pulls.

Drawer is anchored in 5 points. 4 points bolted to the 3rd row seat floor anchors, and the 5th point is the 3rd row seatbelt anchor point in the floor. Another reason behind the 3/4" material is I want it to have enough structural integrity to hold up in an accident or rollover. All panel connections are screwed and glued.

Drawer installed - closed. One of the benefits of building it yourself is that you can tailor finishes to your liking. Coating is stain (Ipswich pine) and then polyurethane. Top will eventually be carpeted and I am considering putting some vintage Land Cruiser ads on the drawer face and sealing them in with a few coats of polyurethane.

Drawer installed - open. Spare parts, fluids, first aid, tools, emergency food, and survival supplies at the ready. I am trying out the concept of "tool rolls" as opposed to boxes for the first time. Certainly rattles less :). We'll see how I like them.

Next step is the air compressor, inverter, fridge, solar power cabinet that will sit on top of the drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom