What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (84 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keen on knowing how you adapted the front into white and amber turn signals.
@Dissent I would also like a bit more info on how you integrated the turn signals into the corner marker. I know it's been discussed before and the bulbs can simply be switched; but integration is the best solution.

I have clear (Depo) valence signal housings that I would like to use for cob LED daytime running lights; so the turn signals have to move (and are way better in the corners anyway). Thanks

The very first model I did was buying a harness that split the valance light harness into valance/corner parking/ARB bumper lights. I can't remember who sold those but I'd search for "ARB turn signal harness". Those LED switchbacks took care of the white/amber work. My 80 is also an LX so my corners came clear instead of amber.

Next is to put on clear valance lenses and another set of switchback bulbs. Alternatively, I still have the ARB intended connector rattling in the fender and it may go to a mirror signal setup.

The very first model I did was buying a harness that split the valance light harness into valance/corner parking/ARB bumper lights. I can't remember who sold those but I'd search for "ARB turn signal harness". Those LED switchbacks took care of the white/amber work. My 80 is also an LX so my corners came clear instead of amber.

Next is to put on clear valance lenses and another set of switchback bulbs. Alternatively, I still have the ARB intended connector rattling in the fender and it may go to a mirror signal setup.

Definitely something I want to pursue

I remember that mod from long ago and that the "wiring offering" worked out for some and for others it was a headache (in terms of delivery). Perhaps my memory is off.

I was hoping for a previously unknown and more elegant solution.

I got my wheels blasted and dropped off at the powder coated. I can’t wait to get them back.

455772C2-AC3F-4AF3-9E82-1A1775FCD86E.jpeg

I remember that mod from long ago and that the "wiring offering" worked out for some and for others it was a headache (in terms of delivery). Perhaps my memory is off.

I was hoping for a previously unknown and more elegant solution.
Mine was low drama, I plugged it in and had instantly went from 2x to 4x front signals with an extra harness in the fender. I just looked it up and I bought it from IW which doesn't have it on their web site any longer. I'll pull it out and take some pics of it. It's just a "Y" off the original plug which then goes to 3x different plugs. Not too complicated, just need to source the sockets. I love the mod though. The front blinkers were fine but there's ZERO indication from the side that you are turning. I always liked the VW's and the offerings in the JDM marker for the 80 with the signal light on the fender and was planning to reproduce something like it but now I found these 3" phosphor switchback LEDs: Universal HDR Single Color/Switchback Strips and I want to rig them up on/in/under the side mirrors.

This forces me again to revisit running more wires into the door which I've been putting off since buying my YodaTEQ Mirror Light Mounts 5 years ago! I finally decided I WILL (one day) pull the fenders, drill a couple of holes and install new door jamb wire looms I bought from Jegs Electric Life 4301-70-011: Rubber Door Loom 5/8" Inner Diameter | JEGS but I keep putting it off because I really don't want to pull the fenders. My daughter is prodding me to put on a dorkel and has offered to help IF I install the dorkel. :p IF I actually move forward with the signals, I'll also add a puddle light and 2x lights to the door (spots) and (flood-ditch light). However, now that I've seen my corner light in bright white, I may have to rethink those ditch lights! :D

I got my wheels blasted and dropped off at the powder coater I can’t wait to get them back.
Wow, Those look nice bare. I'd love to have my chrome blasted off and powdered in gunmetal.

Thanks that’s what I’m going with. the color is called anthracite but it’s a flat gun metalish color with a little metal flake in it. I should have them back next week.
Nice, definitely post up pics when they are done.

Civilized St. Valentine's dinner.

I got my wheels blasted and dropped off at the powder coater I can’t wait to get them back.

Look into paint vs powder. The baking procedure for powdercoating can be bad for wheels. Not sure it'd matter for 80 wheels but in the fast car world its best to avoid. Most broken race/track/fast DD wheels break post powdercoat.

They also have a low temp powder now. PPG's low temp powder can cure 275-300F.

Look into paint vs powder. The baking procedure for powdercoating can be bad for wheels. Not sure it'd matter for 80 wheels but in the fast car world its best to avoid. Most broken race/track/fast DD wheels break post powdercoat.

started disassembling a steering box for an 80 series i am going to reseal and put in mine,then do it again
and this was a bust,sector shaft twisted significant scoring on the inside,and what fluid was inside was burnt,not sure what happened to that caused this.maybe the vehicle it was on dropped all the fluid due to a busted line and someone drove.......not sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom