What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (82 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Johnny Joints work, but don't ride as well as rubber bushes. They will also need to be rebuilt at some point.

They will need to be rebuilt, but bushings will need to be replaced... from what I understand the Johnny Joint is stronger and ride better than a regular heim joint?

No sense in reinventing the wheel ;) Curious what you're ideas are though, Johnny Joints seem like they fit the bill

Nothing protects JJ from the elements. Also Im not aware of anyone making upper and lower arms with joints on both ends with the uppers being adjustable with a jack screw. In the end they will be costly and Im sure not many if any are willing to pay the price but it what my needs are. In the end factory rubber is overall the best in value with "good" performance for most. Im just curious the difference with free movement in term of smoother flex, more flex and longevity.

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”—Frank Zappa.

They will need to be rebuilt, but bushings will need to be replaced... from what I understand the Johnny Joint is stronger and ride better than a regular heim joint?
Not sure about "stronger" but the ride slightly better than heims. They are still a solid part that will not absorb vibrations like Rubber bushings, or even poly bushings. Yes whether bushings or JJ's, even heims, will need replacement. There is no permanent fail proof solution.

Nothing protects JJ from the elements. Also Im not aware of anyone making upper and lower arms with joints on both ends with the uppers being adjustable with a jack screw. In the end they will be costly and Im sure not many if any are willing to pay the price but it what my needs are. In the end factory rubber is overall the best in value with "good" performance for most. Im just curious the difference with free movement in term of smoother flex, more flex and longevity.

“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”—Frank Zappa.
I'm sure you've seen the Trail Tailor arms with the Johnny Joints, but they do have poly bushings in one end so not exactly what you're looking for. However, I couldn't discern any noticeable difference in free movement when comparing the JJ's with my current rubber bushings. I also, net the same amount of travel with both setups. The thing the arms with the JJ's have going for them is that they won't fatigue like a bushing will. I do believe the JJ's is likely more durable and will last a bit longer in high flex use than a bushing. But, as you mentioned they are not sealed and no real protection from the elements which, depending on conditions, could affect longevity. My guess would be that they would hold up fairly well in your location.

I suspect a call to Trail Tailor would beneficial. I suspect that he would be willing to build a set of his arms with JJ's in both ends. His uppers are "on-vehicle" adjustable. Not exactly a "jack screw" design but similar as the poly end is threaded into a bung in the arm as is the JJ so twisting the arm itself will change the length. They have jam nuts in both ends to lock the length. Putting JJ's into both ends of the lowers would give the same "on-vehicle" adjustability.

Hung out at the mall with a cousin!

Starbucks parking lot, the 80's home turf🆒

The curse of mammoth lakes continues for me....

So far whenever I come to mammoth lakes something happens this includes

Pesky heater hose blowout
Power steering pump blowout
Brake pads needs changing
I’m sure there’s more - just can’t remember now..

Now we can add driver side door handle snapping off in my hand this morning!

And now my wipers seems to have stopped working. I didn’t realize they were frozen and tried to activate them - can’t get them to move now - have I ‘fried’ them? New motor?

But - looks good in the snow :)

Easy coast = flat, try coming out west and going from 2500 ft to 10000ft in 25 miles with a boat behind your 3fe.

Yea, I agree the West Coast hills are a LOT steeper (like straight up, and straight down). I drive Dom SC to San Diego, and them hills going into ElCajun Cali are no joke! On the East Coast we have longer grades though, but please don’t think I’m trying to say I’m passing anyone on them grades, I can maintain speed with pedal buried, as long as you know it’s coming and get a “run” on it!:flipoff2:
Then again..... NO Cruiser is passing anything on them grades! I’ll keep my 3FE happily.

Here's some pics of my Innovative Wiring harness to enable the parking lights to also be turn signals. Hope this helps someone looking to reproduce the results.

20190216_175242.jpg

20190216_175405.jpg

20190216_175415.jpg

20190216_175423.jpg

20190216_175003.jpg

Here's some pics of my Innovative Wiring harness to enable the parking lights to also be turn signals. Hope this helps someone looking to reproduce the results.
Where do you get this harness?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom