What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (101 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the ladies (girlfriend and dog) out on a fun trip to Fish Lake in central Utah. Awesome place, some really fun roads to explore. Will be going back again for sure.

IMG_7393.JPG

Got a good reminder about carrying a fire extinguisher at all times. Not just to save your truck, but your surroundings as well. The van below caught on fire and lit the surrounding hillsides in the North Cascades on fire. Only one road in and out in this area. We were one of the first ones to arrive and had to wait hours while local FD went to work. By the time they were calling in helicopters to dump water, they finally decided to clear a path and get us out of there.

If these guys had a fire extinguisher on hand they might have contained this thing enough at the start to stop it from getting as bad as it did.

Note to self: Driving a 20 year old incendiary device through remote, hard to reach areas dense with flammables without a fire extinguisher on hand is a BAD idea.

open

IMG_20180715_153700.jpg

IMG_20180715_154954.jpg

@RFB regretfully not me, haven't been to moab in a decade, but maybe this is a sign I will go to CM next year!

have followed your thread great build. also bought Kings recently thanks in part to some of your feedback (I think that was you)
your right down the roadever want to do some trails hit me up lots of great class 6 roads up here

Rear bumper on...
20180716_121717.jpg

Working on reducing underhood temps on my 80. Weather temps have been hot lately, mid 90's for the past 10 days or so which makes it a bit more apparent. My coolant temps haven't been terrible but have been between 190*-199*F most of the time on the highway. I've been driving Parley's canyon here in Utah a lot lately and climbing the canyon the coolant temps have been as high as 213*. Given the conditions it's not necessarily out of the norm but still warmer than I want it to be. Intake temps have been around 140*F even with the snorkel.

Here's some context of the rest of the cooling system stuff. HG replaced 2 years ago, new OEM radiator installed at the same time. Blue hub fan clutch with 30K oil.

Anyway, the plan is to increase airflow through the engine bay and vent some of the heat to get temps down. As I said, the truck seems to be cooling adequately for the conditions so this is something I've wanted to experiment with for a while. I've added a hood scoop to increase pressure inside the engine bay and I plan to add a couple of vents to let the air escape and hopefully drop the temps in the engine bay. I'm still looking for the vents I want to use, but I got the scoop portion done over the weekend.

The scoop is from Ebay and is meant for a 2011 Mustang. I needed to modify it for what I'm doing. First off the bottom needed to be sanded to fit flush to the 80 hood. This was designed as a cosmetic piece so it wasn't a "real" scoop and the inlet was blocked, so I cut that out to open it up. It's a thick, sturdy polymer and I have no concerns about the scoop itself holding up. It's currently attached with HD 3M double sided tape meant for body mouldings. Seems very strong. I could pick up the hood by the scoop so I don't think it's coming off anytime soon.

I'm sure someone will ask about water getting into the engine bay. I put a 1/2" rubber lip all the way around both openings in the hood and another all the way across the width of the opening about halfway back under the scoop. It's still possible that some water could get in but I think this will stop 99% of the water that would run across the hood from getting through the holes.

I know not everyone will like this mod, that's ok. Looking for function and don't mind a bit of experimenting. If it becomes a problem, I can always cover up the the holes (leaving the scoop in place) and solve any issues if this somehow makes temps worse. Or I can replace the hood pretty easily. So far it seems to be helping and coolant temps haven't been above 195*.

IMG_3961 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_3957 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_3975 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_3974 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_3960 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_3969 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_3971 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_3973 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Working on reducing underhood temps on my 80. Weather temps have been hot lately, mid 90's for the past 10 days or so which makes it a bit more apparent. My coolant temps haven't been terrible but have been between 190*-199*F most of the time on the highway. I've been driving Parley's canyon here in Utah a lot lately and climbing the canyon the coolant temps have been as high as 213*. Given the conditions it's not necessarily out of the norm but still warmer than I want it to be. Intake temps have been around 140*F even with the snorkel.

Here's some context of the rest of the cooling system stuff. HG replaced 2 years ago, new OEM radiator installed at the same time. Blue hub fan clutch with 30K oil.

Anyway, the plan is to increase airflow through the engine bay and vent some of the heat to get temps down. As I said, the truck seems to be cooling adequately for the conditions so this is something I've wanted to experiment with for a while. I've added a hood scoop to increase pressure inside the engine bay and I plan to add a couple of vents to let the air escape and hopefully drop the temps in the engine bay. I'm still looking for the vents I want to use, but I got the scoop portion done over the weekend.

The scoop is from Ebay and is meant for a 2011 Mustang. I needed to modify it for what I'm doing. First off the bottom needed to be sanded to fit flush to the 80 hood. This was designed as a cosmetic piece so it wasn't a "real" scoop and the inlet was blocked, so I cut that out to open it up. It's a thick, sturdy polymer and I have no concerns about the scoop itself holding up. It's currently attached with HD 3M double sided tape meant for body mouldings. Seems very strong. I could pick up the hood by the scoop so I don't think it's coming off anytime soon.

I'm sure someone will ask about water getting into the engine bay. I put a 1/2" rubber lip all the way around both openings in the hood and another all the way across the width of the opening about halfway back under the scoop. It's still possible that some water could get in but I think this will stop 99% of the water that would run across the hood from getting through the holes.

I know not everyone will like this mod, that's ok. Looking for function and don't mind a bit of experimenting. If it becomes a problem, I can always cover up the the holes (leaving the scoop in place) and solve any issues if this somehow makes temps worse. Or I can replace the hood pretty easily. So far it seems to be helping and coolant temps haven't been above 195*.

Looks very nice

Looks very nice
it is perfect size i will probably use same one but i m going to face it backward sinc i have V8 engine and way bigger fan and i need to move the air out of engine bay i like the mustang scoop for its size

did you get it new or used , for some reason i cant find one like that

Last edited:
it is perfect size i will probably use same one but i m going to face it backward sinc i have V8 engine and way bigger fan and i need to move the air out of engine bay i like the mustang scoop for its size

did you get it new or used , for some reason i cant find one like that
I bought it new. I was really hoping to find a 79 Series hood and weld in the scoop section to the 80 hood but they're just too hard to find in the US. The Tacoma and 4Runner scoops are too narrow IMO and this one seemed to have about the right proportions.

That has to add at least 50HP. :) Great job looks clean.

Update on my hood scoop mod...Today was the first chance I've had to get it out on the highway. Before the mod I was seeing engine temps of 195-199* typically on the highway with spikes above 200* when pushing the truck or climbing hills. On my 30 mile drive this morning with ambient temps at 85* the engine never got above 190*. That's a good sign. I'll check it again this afternoon when ambient temps are supposed to be 97* but even without adding vents the scoop seems to have had a very positive effect on engine compartment temps.

I drove across the Great Divide Basin in southern WY, searching for CDT hikers to give them food, drink, and shade. It was about 100 miles of two track like this. This is exactly what I love my Land Cruiser for: any road on the map, I can probably drive it without knowing exactly what I am going to come up against. Most of it was super easy nice cruising, but there were some steep washes and hills to go over that would have stopped a lot of vehicles.

IMG_20180708_165254_353.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom