What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (56 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would take that exact truck today for $29k! lol. Sounds like you have had some sweet rides.

inflation.jpeg

Inflation.

My first brand new 4WD was a 1974 Dodge Power Wagon. 3/4 ton, 360 V8, dual 25 gallon tanks, A/C, locking hubs, Adventurer Sport package. $5,338.00 out the door.

I've got an 04 Tacoma TRD I'd let go for half that.

My dad sold his 98 Tacoma SR5, RWD, extended cab, manual 130k miles for $6000.
I think he paid $11k new or somewhere around there.

I would take that exact truck today for $29k! lol. Sounds like you have had some sweet rides.

View attachment 1831619

New vehicles:
1974 W200 Dodge Power Wagon.
1977 Toyota Celica RA29 Liftback.
1979 Toyota RN42 SR5 long bed pickup.
1980 Toyota RN47 4WD long bed pickup.
1984 Toyota RN65 SR5 Xtracab 4WD pickup.
1986 Subaru BRAT.
1989 Dodge/Cummins W350 one ton 4WD truck (still have).
1993 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 (still have).

Used vehicles:
1985 Toyota Celica Supra (never shoulda let that one go).
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T S/E 440 Magnum (still have).
1985 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban with a 4 speed manual trans (rare cool truck, shoulda kept).
1988 Toyota BJ74 Land Cruiser (still have).
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6 speed manual (still and will always have).
2012 Toyota Rav4 base 4WD 4 cylinder (still have and a wonderful appliance).

Not including my wife's rides.

Dropped the 80 off at the dealership for an oil change. A couple years ago, I decided that I'm very likely an 80 series lifer. Looked at f250s, tundras, 200 series, 4 runners, Tacomas, etc at the time. They just don't make em like they used to. Saw this Tacoma Pro today, which contains a whopping 15% Japanese parts for $60,000!View attachment 1831437View attachment 1831438

WTF!?!?!?!?

That thing will blow a ujoint in 30k miles! Pile of poo for 60k!!!

Someone will pay it, thats why they do it. Blame your fellow consumers. High demand/low supply vehicles always end up priced like this.

The wife and I have been looking for a new rig to replace her Accord after it was totaled in the accident. The 2019 4Runner Pro is 52K, used 4Runner Pros' in cement that are 2-3 years old are going for the same price as a new one, limited edition and limited colors cause this BS.

New vehicles:
1974 W200 Dodge Power Wagon.
1977 Toyota Celica RA29 Liftback.
1979 Toyota RN42 SR5 long bed pickup.
1980 Toyota RN47 4WD long bed pickup.
1984 Toyota RN65 SR5 Xtracab 4WD pickup.
1986 Subaru BRAT.
1989 Dodge/Cummins W350 one ton 4WD truck (still have).
1993 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 (still have).

Used vehicles:
1985 Toyota Celica Supra (never shoulda let that one go).
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T S/E 440 Magnum (still have).
1985 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban with a 4 speed manual trans (rare cool truck, shoulda kept).
1988 Toyota BJ74 Land Cruiser (still have).
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 6 speed manual (still and will always have).
2012 Toyota Rav4 base 4WD 4 cylinder (still have and a wonderful appliance).

Not including my wife's rides.

Sorry, the brat wins. :hillbilly: I have been in love with these since I was a little kid and saw the jump seat in the bed. Take that, NHTSA!

4720113476_6458cedeae_b.jpg

I actually considered a new TRD Tacoma and 4Runner before I got smart about the 80. 2019 Land Cruiser would be the only car I’d dump my 80 for atm and even then I can see myself regretting the decision.

Tacoma sat really weird. It’s as if you’re sitting on the floor with knees up a bit. Rode like any other modern car. Soft and smooth. Non-J vin turned me off.

4Runner was a real contender. I like the cozier size of the interior. Much more nimble and smoother, quieter than my 80 in retrospect. Even for a ‘19 Toyota still doesn’t offer LED low beams and a smart key. Similar ride quality as the Tacoma.

Decided neither are nearly as special as a clean 80. Neither look nearly as awesome. The big upside is the TRD’s very slow depreciation rate for a new car. It’s crazy how valued Tacomas are in the used market.

I actually considered a new TRD Tacoma and 4Runner before I got smart about the 80. 2019 Land Cruiser would be the only car I’d dump my 80 for atm and even then I can see myself regretting the decision.

Tacoma sat really weird. It’s as if you’re sitting on the floor with knees up a bit. Rode like any other modern car. Soft and smooth. Non-J vin turned me off.

4Runner was a real contender. I like the cozier size of the interior. Much more nimble and smoother, quieter than my 80 in retrospect. Even for a ‘19 Toyota still doesn’t offer LED low beams and a smart key. Similar ride quality as the Tacoma.

Decided neither are nearly as special as a clean 80. Neither look nearly as awesome. The big upside is the TRD’s very slow depreciation rate for a new car. It’s crazy how valued Tacomas are in the used market.

5th gen 4Runners come with a smart key in Ltd. trim, FYI. But they still don't come with things like blind spot sensors, heated steering wheel, the factory headlights were awful (upgrades have resolved that nicely), and a few other things I was surprised to find weren't standard equipment on a vehicle at that price point. It is very nice to drive though.

5th gen 4Runners come with a smart key in Ltd. trim, FYI. But they still don't come with things like blind spot sensors, heated steering wheel, the factory headlights were awful (upgrades have resolved that nicely), and a few other things I was surprised to find weren't standard equipment on a vehicle at that price point. It is very nice to drive though.

Yes, yes. I was just referring to the TRD Pro. Limited model sits in my blind spot and will remain so.

Rock auto for 9011 bulbs (use for both low and high beam). Cheap and effective, requires slight modification to the bulb to make it fit.

View attachment 1830445

I went with the 9011s as my first attempt to improve the headlights on my '97 and haven't worried about taking further steps since. I'm sure there are higher output/performance options but for the night driving I've done so far these in stock housings have performed well and the price/ease of install is great for a truck that will have other more pressing issues for a long time yet. This setup also makes it cheaper to buy spares if desired or easier to find replacement bulbs off the shelf than some headlight setups would.

So you guys are running the 9011s in the low beams, without doing anything else, and no one is getting angry at you on the road?

So you guys are running the 9011s in the low beams, without doing anything else, and no one is getting angry at you on the road?

Shouldn't need to aim the headlights any differently as its still a halogen bulb in a housing designed for halogen bulbs, just enjoy the 1.5X light output.

Shouldn't need to aim the headlights any differently as its still a halogen bulb in a housing designed for halogen bulbs, just enjoy the 1.5X light output.

Much appreciated.

4runners and GX are still made in Japan while rest of Toyota lineups are heading to Mexico. Don’t get Tacoma!!!!! Even local drive line place won’t install Toyota Ujoints anymore because they think they are junk! I had to show them mine were made in Japan before they were willing to install them.

I'm running the HIR 9011's in high and low beams and nobody ever flashes me in Low.

Another instance of “check your nutz”...

Client brings truck up from NYC for an inspection...

Client takes train home to NYC... cause I sure as sheeeeit was not letting him go home with missing studs and nuts. They are unfortunately sheared off in the knuckle.

View attachment 1828688

Whenever I see this sort of thing and think about how i pull over and refuse to drive if I hear a strange noise . . . . I should prbably relax more.

Installed some electrical goodies in the #80series last week. Used @wits.end #quarterpanelmount to hold a 1000w sine wave inverter, 8in powered subwoofer, CTEK solar controller, and fuse block. Paired the sub with a new Sony headunit thats does Apple CarPlay or Android integration. We are pretty stoked for our drive to Baja this winter.

D6262DC0-4500-4F74-B509-1DC6A0A70CF8.jpeg
1BEECDE1-FE30-42E1-A686-31394124855A.jpeg
9670B929-843E-4A08-B38A-0B8AF204AE22.jpeg

@yjeff

Great looking installs.

What size cable did you run for the inverter/sub and how long was the run (from engine compartment house/deep cycle battery I assume)? Have you tested the inverter at high load and is it working well with the cable size you have it on?

I've got a powered sub and 1kw inverter that I am considering installing in the rear quarter panel but don't know if I want to run the large cable required by the inverter since a smaller cable for just the sub would be easier to run. My research points to 2/0 cable being appropriate for the 1kw inverter which is pretty big to snake through to the rear I assume. I'm interested in your experiences and with how much you can run on that inverter without running into low voltage issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom