What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went to the Everglades for some fresh water fishing with the kids......
IMG_1625.JPG

Just watched Badland Off Road Adventures give Mike Brewer a lesson in driving in a bright red FZJ80 on Wheeler Dealers. Mike and Ed were building a HUMVEE camper. Pretty cool. Was reading MUD at the time, after checking in om our LX450 project.

Just saw this episode tonight and was really surprised to see that 80.....it's at 32:10

Took her out for some wheeling this weekend. Such a tank.

View attachment 1409937

View attachment 1409938

View attachment 1409939

I think most people who don't live here have no idea how challenging and potentially dangerous the caliche hills in Texas are. You can easily roll your vehicle because wheel slippage is so severe in caliche. Getting up the hill through the rocks/gravel that constantly roll under your wheels is bad enought but the tops of the hills have 3 to 5 foot caps as shown in these photos. Slide backwards off of one of these and you may be in for a long sideways roll down a steep hill. What doesn't show in these photos is that most of these trails have severe erosion and very deep ruts so you are contantly getting wheels in the air in addition to climbing very steep loose gravel.

I added lockers to my truck not for what I ran into in New Mexico, Colorado and Utah but what I regularly wheel on in the Texas hill country.

These hills are white knuckle rides without lockers. After 13 years of scary climbs and near rolls, I added lockers in 2010 and have never again failed to top a hill like this.

I scared the hell out of my brother-in-law who is retired, lives in Helena and wheels in the Montana mountains nearly every day by taking him up one of these heavily rutted, steep, loose caliche hills with the big caps at the top. He didn't think we'd make it but the old Landcruiser came through like it was no challenge. It was just a nice slow steady climb all the way over the top while in low and 3-way locked.

The big axles and drive shafts on a Landcruiser are crucial in terrain like this because of the stress the deep ruts and slippage put on the drive train. It is very easy to break a birf so I am always thankful I have new ones.

I followed a guy in a large brand new 4x4 pickup with a seriously high lift up a hill like this during hunting season and he nearly rolled his rig several times largely because he didn't have lockers. His truck was consistently kicking out large boulders which created unnecessary bouncing and the fact he kept getting wheels in the air due to the deep ruts would cause him to turn sideways. Just when I thought he would give up, back down and let me winch him up the hill, he made it up.

Well, after three years of sitting in a cabinet in the garage I "finally" installed the new fuel filter. I also, replaced the master cylinder; and removed, painted and reinstalled the brake vacuum booster.

TIP: With the master cylinder and brake vacuum booster removed, the fuel filter is much more accessible and it's a perfect time to replaced it.

Learned one way toyota is far better than GM.. Exhaust manifold hardware.

Now trying to figure out how to remove the broken extractor.. plug welding is high on the list.

Broken extractor.jpeg

Learned one way toyota is far better than GM.. Exhaust manifold hardware.

Now trying to figure out how to remove the broken extractor.. plug welding is high on the list.

View attachment 1410588
A dremel tool and a small, ball shaped rotory file coupled with a lot of patience would work. But you may be interested in a tool called Rescue Bit. I learned of these recently and have not bought or used one yet but I think they would be worth trying out and possibly adding to my tool kit. They are obtainable in a left hand twist, which can help with broken bolt/stud removal. Good luck.

Headed South again with the usual suspects, gas, water, food & beer.........:bounce:

The Beauty & The Beast
DSCF3742.JPG

The West is the Best.....heading to the ruins of Mons Porphyrites Quarry Temple
DSCF3747.JPG

Mons Porphyrites Quarry Temple AD 18, precision stone working (see slab bottom right). A busted knee wouldn't allow for the 3 hour hike up the mountain to take pics of the quarry and the purple stone, but here is a brief story of it........... What makes imperial porphyry so precious and rare is that it is found at only one place on earth, atop a 1600-meter (mile-high) mountain in the eastern province of Egypt. The Romans named the site Mons Porphyrites, or Porphyry Mountain, and the Arabs today call it Jabal Abu Dukhan, or Smoky Mountain. In the year 18, in Egypt, a Roman legionnaire named Caius Cominius Leugas found a type of stone he had never seen before. It was purple, flecked with white crystals and very fine-grained. The latter characteristic made it excellent for carving, and it became an imperial prerogative to quarry it, to build or sculpt with it, or even to possess it. This stone soon came to symbolize the nature of rulership itself. We call it imperial porphyry.

The Romans used this porphyry for the Pantheon's inlaid panels, for the togas in the sculpted portraiture of their emperors, and for the monolithic pillars of Baalbek's Temple of Heliopolis in Lebanon. Today there are at least 134 porphyry columns in buildings around Rome, all reused from imperial times, and countless altars, basins and other objects.
DSCF3760.JPG

Sweet and Sour landscape
DSCF3778.JPG

Down To Earth camping
DSCF3792.JPG

Headed South again with the usual suspects, gas, water, food & beer.........:bounce:

The Beauty & The Beast
View attachment 1410627
The West is the Best.....heading to the ruins of Mons Porphyrites Quarry Temple
View attachment 1410630
Mons Porphyrites Quarry Temple AD 18, precision stone working (see slab bottom right). A busted knee wouldn't allow for the 3 hour hike up the mountain to take pics of the quarry and the purple stone, but here is a brief story of it........... What makes imperial porphyry so precious and rare is that it is found at only one place on earth, atop a 1600-meter (mile-high) mountain in the eastern province of Egypt. The Romans named the site Mons Porphyrites, or Porphyry Mountain, and the Arabs today call it Jabal Abu Dukhan, or Smoky Mountain. In the year 18, in Egypt, a Roman legionnaire named Caius Cominius Leugas found a type of stone he had never seen before. It was purple, flecked with white crystals and very fine-grained. The latter characteristic made it excellent for carving, and it became an imperial prerogative to quarry it, to build or sculpt with it, or even to possess it. This stone soon came to symbolize the nature of rulership itself. We call it imperial porphyry.

The Romans used this porphyry for the Pantheon's inlaid panels, for the togas in the sculpted portraiture of their emperors, and for the monolithic pillars of Baalbek's Temple of Heliopolis in Lebanon. Today there are at least 134 porphyry columns in buildings around Rome, all reused from imperial times, and countless altars, basins and other objects.
View attachment 1410647
Sweet and Sour landscape
View attachment 1410657

Down To Earth camping
View attachment 1410662

Thanks for the pics and history!!

That sweet and sour landscape is cool ;)

Are they finding red granite in that area as well?...it was popular for pillars as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom