What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What kit did you use for the LED bulbs?

Unfortunately mine started to leak oil all over the driveway. The oil pressure sensor on the oil filter housing cracked, simple fix for $14 @ 133,000mi.
I got these for hi beams:
Amazon.com: 80W All-in-One 360° LED Headlights - Cool White 6000K 6K - High Beam - Super White - 8,000 Lm - 9005 / HB3: Automotive

And these for lows: Amazon.com: JDM ASTAR G2 8000 Lumens Extremely Bright CSP Chips H11 H8 H9 LED Headlights, Xenon White: Automotive

So far they seem fine but only a couple months with them. They're slightly brighter than halogen so not a huge improvement in driving visibility but they do look neat, so they satisfy my vanity a bit.

Recently - new floor mats, camping trip (first real offroad since the lift/tires - did great, has a few squeaks/groans I need to figure out but darn happy with crawling around performance!).

@GXLee - ordered aprons, thx for that update, mine are all missing and camping 2 weeks ago definitely revealed the need (water/mud).

@Nothinghead - did you have the dealer do your trans fluid swap? On my to-do-list, sounds like you're glad you did it. Cost? (if you don't mind sharing...)

@Nothinghead - did you have the dealer do your trans fluid swap? On my to-do-list, sounds like you're glad you did it. Cost? (if you don't mind sharing...)

My local Lexus dealership wanted $450 for the tranny service. The Toyota dealer one town over swapped the fluid and cleaned the screen for $200. He said they looked into "flushing" transmissions but found there was a noticeable rate of damage that happened in the process so they don't do that any more; just drain and refill. I'm very glad to have done it but now I need to change fluid in the other three gear boxes prior to taking our airstream on a 3,000 mile journey through the Canadian Rockies.

I changed out the greenish, Chinese LED (Amazon)running lights with amberish Chinese LEDs(Aliexpress).
The new LED is on the left(passenger) side.
APC_0006.jpg
image.jpg

I had to bake the housings at 250° F for ten minutes to melt the butyl rubber seal and disassemble the housing to get the bulb cover off so the longer led would fit.

Front Runner Slimline II installed and running boards removed.

IMG_0076.JPG

@Lc80series That rack looks great- what size FR rack is that? And would you mind taking a few pics in the light from the top so we can see how far it extends? Thx!
@Lc80series That rack looks great- what size FR rack is that? And would you mind taking a few pics in the light from the top so we can see how far it extends? Thx!
Thanks

Here's a link on it.
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...foot-rail-mount-front-runner-slimline-ii.html
Purchased from Sierra Expeditions. Of course it's night time now but I'll post up some daytime pics for reference soon...

Installed some LEDs into the rear reflector location. Simple and cheap- and I really like the extra visibility especially during breaking. They flash with turn signals as well.

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0915.JPG

Very cool! Write up? Pics and links to parts?
Sure thing! Purchased on Amazon: Amazon.com: Mihaz Auto LED Rear Bumper Light Led Reflector Brake Running Lights Red Lens DC 12V for 09-12 Toyota Camry,LE 2012 Lexus ISF(2008),GX470(03-09),RX300 JHRB-2: Automotive And install was basic- remove the existing reflectors (one screw and "tilt" out), and install these in their place. I decided to wire into the trailer wiring as I already had the LED hitch cover plugged in. Used positaps and shrink tubing to the hitch wiring "extension" cable that I've been using between the 9 to 4-pin converter and hitch plug. That way if I screwed up, then nothing permanent damaged. Black wires together to ground, red wires together to driving/brake lights, and white wires separately to right and left turn signals. Here's a pic of the positaps, hope that helps!

IMG_0917.JPG

DS CV boot decided to have a small tear and it was leaking and flinging grease everywhere. Pulled both CV axles off and rebooted and regreased with OEM boots/grease. Used the pfran clamps with the new boots.

For pulling off the CV axle from the car I found it a lot easier to use a "CV noose". The idea is from the FJC forum and it's to wrap a cable around the inner axle and then on the other end of the cable use a heavy object to act like a slide hammer to pop out the CV axle. Works a lot easier then trying to pry from the notches on the inner CV housing and I didn't want to pry on the lip as it's pretty fragile.

Also replaced the seal where the outer CV mates up with the hub and where the inner CV mates up with the differential.

Overall process is pretty easy just time consuming:
  1. Drain diff fluid (optional if you jack one side high enough)
  2. Jack one side up
  3. Remove wheels
  4. Remove 17mm nut for swaybar end link
  5. Remove cotter pin and 19mm nut for tie rod
  6. Remove (2) 19mm bolts holding LCA to hub
  7. Remove dust grease cap
  8. Remove cotter pin and cap
  9. Remove 35mm axle nut
  10. Remove 6mm hex bolt and wheel sensor (opposite side of brake caliper)
  11. Now you should be able to remove the tie rod and sway bar end link from hub assembly. For tie rod if it's stuck on there put the nut back on reverse and until its flat with the bolt and hammer it until it pops.
  12. Once everything is removed you can pull the hub and swing it out of the way. I had to lightly tap the end of the CV axle to free it from the hub.
  13. Now you need to remove the CV axle, I did the "CV noose" methods others just pry on the axle.
  14. Once the CV axle is out you can swap in a new or in my case I rebooted and regreased the axle.
  15. I also replaced the seals where the inner axle goes into the diff and where the outer axle mates with the hub.
  16. Installation is reverse order. The open end of the c-clip on the inner axle should be towards the ground. I took a pry bar and hammer and popped in the CV using the notches on the housing.

Some good links I found:
DIY instructions: How To Replace An FJ Cruiser Front Drive Shaft | Off-Road Adventure
CV noose method example:
Disassembly of CV (you need to remove the star if you want to reboot):

IMG_20170108_192322.jpg

image.jpg
Finally got the dash replaced under warranty. Waited approximately 1 year...;)

I'm still in line lol

Wow. I applied for my dash, got it in and installed with use of a new 2016 gx460 for 3 days for free and a free tank of gas and detailed. From the time they looked at it to done was less then 2 weeks. Could not say anything better about the Lexus dealership here in Wichita, amazing customer service.

Bought lift from Metal Tech today - Pro Cell Foam. Installation occurs this weekend in the cold garage! I am sure the compressor will thank me for the lift

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom