What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the stealth mounting in the bumper, and are you using the factory cross bars to mount the 40" bar?

Which roof box is that.....it looks MASSIVE!
Thank you- I was really pleased how nicely the lower bars fit into those openings and stealth was the goal on both installs. I was going to use some brackets to mount the top light between the crossbars, but my 40" light ended up being 41.5" long and wouldn't fit between the bars. I opted to remove the plastic covers from the roof rack "feet" and attached the light bar brackets directly to them. Then some dremeling on the plastic covers and they popped back on with a little persuasion. Here's an up close pic of the chopped cover. Should have taken a picture of the mounts before installing the covers but once they snapped back on I didn't want to remove them again. And the box is the Yakima Skybox Lo- it does look huge in those pictures but is actually quite low profile from the side. Makes me feel like I have a hard shell RTT on top. :)

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_4406.JPG

Icon should be done making my custom front jounce so if they show up this week it heads to the shop!

rewired my iPhone connection to my head unit with an Apple cord to see if that fixes some minor problems.
Hook up a 10amp inline fuse to the rear power/USB outlet.
Also did a temp install on my new ARB 50qt fridge, until I get the slider for it, coming later this week.

A pair of updated SPC ball joints arrived in the mail today, hopefully they last longer than the old ones. I can't recommend the SPC/Light Racing upper control arms, they are far from reliable and need replacement parts like bushings and ball joints long before they should.

Installed some light bars onto the GX this weekend. A 40" up top and 2 x 12" next to the fogs. The idea for the top bar install came from mudder Wildyoats who also kindly sold me some custom brackets. Didn't end up using his brackets on account of my light bar being slightly too long, but they worked perfectly for the lower light bar install. Switches worked out well too after some careful dremeling. Thx everyone for the inspiration!

That's a pretty low key installation of the top and bottom LEDs. How much room was behind the bumper for the 2x12"? Seems like lots of room back there? What brand LEDs did you go with?

That's a pretty low key installation of the top and bottom LEDs. How much room was behind the bumper for the 2x12"? Seems like lots of room back there? What brand LEDs did you go with?
I'd say there was a good 8-10" total, but there were a few hoses that limited some of the area to about 5" depth (hope that makes sense). Got the lights on amazon: Topcarlight 12 - Inch 72W Cree Led Light Bar, 24 Piece Amazon.com: Topcarlight 12 – Inch 72W Cree Led Light Bar, 24 Piece: Automotive

Replaced the missing fender aprons today- feeling much better about the foul weather coming now that the engine is a little better protected. Went with the AutoDIYStuff aprons for $32 and they seem like they'll last another 90k. They even included new push clips so the install was a snap (pun intended). Inner Fender Aprons - Automotive DIY Stuff

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

hmmmm...I wonder why you missing fender liners? Those big ole' KO2's have anything to do with that? haha

I am learning a few things about my GX and driving in snow:

1) Snow likes to get packed in the wheels.
2) The running boards hold a very large amount of packed snow
3) The mud flap area of the running boards right behind the front tires isn't larger enough to catch all the road debris, and a lot of it lands up on the step portion of the running boards. Both front and rear lights are covered in 3-4" of ice.
5) The flat portion of the rear bumper holds snow/ice pretty well. I don't think Lexus understood this very well as the rear door is pretty close to the flat portion of the rear bumper, and ice buildup will cause some issues.

I need to fab up larger mud flaps for the front tires. Saw some at the local farm supply store, might have to wait for a warm day to mount them.

A pair of updated SPC ball joints arrived in the mail today, hopefully they last longer than the old ones. I can't recommend the SPC/Light Racing upper control arms, they are far from reliable and need replacement parts like bushings and ball joints long before they should.

How long did yours last? I have a set that haven't been installed yet.

ordered fender aprons today

@JLee Do your ball joints have a grease zerk? If they do they are supposed to be a better, updated design from what I have.

@JLee Do your ball joints have a grease zerk? If they do they are supposed to be a better, updated design from what I have.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I'll have to check when I go retrieve the GX in the spring (it's at my house in AZ but I'm in NJ now).

@GXLee which led light bar did you use for the roof?
I used this one from Amazon: Amazon.com: Nilight 41Inch 200W Single Row LED Work Light Spot Flood Combo Light Bar Fog Driving Lamp off road led lights - 2 Style Mounting Brackets ,2 years Warranty: Automotive

However keep in mind it's about 3/4"-1" too long to fit between the roof rack bars, so I had to mod the covers on the front to allow for the extra length. I also had to trim the mounting brackets to work in that space. Doing it over I would have tried to find a bar that was 39" wide but that was difficult at the same price point.

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

is it blocking your sunroof?

I used this one from Amazon: Amazon.com: Nilight 41Inch 200W Single Row LED Work Light Spot Flood Combo Light Bar Fog Driving Lamp off road led lights - 2 Style Mounting Brackets ,2 years Warranty: Automotive

However keep in mind it's about 3/4"-1" too long to fit between the roof rack bars, so I had to mod the covers on the front to allow for the extra length. I also had to trim the mounting brackets to work in that space. Doing it over I would have tried to find a bar that was 39" wide but that was difficult at the same price point.

View attachment 1369573

View attachment 1369574

Nice observation! Yes it was originally preventing the tilt up function of the sunroof, but I've since drilled new holes about 1.5" further back and moved the bar towards the rear. Now I can tilt up in addition to using as normal.

Transmission fluid change and LED low and high beam bulbs. Feels and looks a lot tighter and fresher than 11 years and 150,000 miles.

What kit did you use for the LED bulbs?

Unfortunately mine started to leak oil all over the driveway. The oil pressure sensor on the oil filter housing cracked, simple fix for $14 @ 133,000mi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom