What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Joeshark , @Springs505 - please share your impressions of the PowerStop rotors/new pads. I stumbled across a "Tundra" brake upgrade for the GX, would like to hear how this goes for you guys as I'll probably look for a larger rotor/pad combo at some point. Thanks in advance...

Me - completing my LED installs from PFRAN. Slight mix-up with my order that he's helping correct - great guy to work with.

Full suspension and sliders were ordered a few days back from MetalTech (thx again @DanKunz for the help!!), should be here this Wednesday. Hoping to install on 11/12, lining up some helping hands.....

I used powerstop as well and I have nothing but great things to say. I've been using them for about 14 years now and on 7 different vehicles.

On a different not, what I did today was remove the radiator for a new denso and started on the valve stem seal replacement. Not too difficult, VERY time consuming and tedious. The radiator was leaking intermittently and I could see the remnants of coolant on the seam on the metal and plastic. Also, a pic of the inside of the valve cover. Not too shabby for a rig with 210k on the ticker. So far I got one cylinder done (4 seals). I hope to get this bank done and buttoned up tom and get at least one cylinder done on the DS tom.

IMG_9909.JPG

IMG_9907.JPG

IMG_9908.JPG

IMG_9911.JPG

Today - I drove to work and back.....I know, exciting.

BUT - suspension and sliders were waiting for me on my front porch when I got home - WOOHOO!!!

upload_2016-11-2_22-1-54.png

@Joeshark , @Springs505 - please share your impressions of the PowerStop rotors/new pads.

I received the PowerStop Z23 front+rear brake kit, part#K2422, from Amazon late last week and installed yesterday. My initial impressions are positive:
  • The kit included everything I would expect: replacement springs/shims, rubber boots, and lubricant.
  • The rotors are nicely coated on nearly all surfaces. From my first impression, I would not expect to see rust on the rotors for a long time.
  • Each rotor has some milling in one area of the circumference, showing that there was an effort to balance each rotor.
  • Everything fit well. Other than a few stuck bolts that I experienced, total time to install should be around 3 hours.
  • I followed the break-in procedure and noticed that there was an obvious "hot odor" during the first steps, which the instructions say is normal. No unusual noises were heard during break-in and brakes felt as responsive as I would normally expect.
I will try to post some longer-term impressions later on. Here are a few shots of the installed parts: Front rotor installed, rear rotor during install, and milling/balancing on one of the rear rotors.
20161105_160606_resized.jpg
20161105_160522_resized.jpg
20161105_163501_resized.jpg

Been running power stop up front for about a year now and get are awesome. Out some ceramic pads on and they so better than the ebc stuff pad

So far so good with the full install of rotors and pads from power stop . Did the recommended break in like springs505 did . Initially I was getting a little grinding when almost at full stop , between 2mph to 0, but went away after a day or so. Everything is good , stops well & smooth .

Pulled the DS running board off cuz the metal brackets that hold the lights in place succumbed to the Midwest salt. I was also a little upset someone hasn't detailed the plastic clip removal process a little bit more. Hoping to have the running boards back on next weekend with new metal brackets in place.

Someone just posted a YouTube video a week or two ago. And I have mentioned that it is a violent procedure but none of the clips appear to break during removal.
It really isn't supposed to be violent. I used two small flat head screwdrivers to depress the barbs that held the clips in place. I did break the first clip when I tried to use the grease monkey "pry til you die" method, but once I was able to see what was required to get them out , I used my method and no more damage occured.

@Joeshark , @Springs505 , @DanKunz - thx for the feedback against the PowerStops. Are these bigger than stock? Any improved feel over stock (which feels non-linear and soft to me)? Anyone know of any comparos with these and Tundra bigger rotors/pads?

I did a similar upgrade on my '92 FJ80 a couple years ago (93+ rotors, 100-series pads). Huge improvement, hoping the same is possible here.

Rotors do absolutely nothing to make your truck stop better, a blank rotor is all you need. Pads (compound) and fluid are what you modify if you want your brakes to actually perform 'better'.

It really isn't supposed to be violent. I used two small flat head screwdrivers to depress the barbs that held the clips in place. I did break the first clip when I tried to use the grease monkey "pry til you die" method, but once I was able to see what was required to get them out , I used my method and no more damage occured.
I unbolted the brackets and then performed the procedure in the FSM entitled "Bruce Lee kung fu judo kick" to them and also didn't break a single clip.

Installed some light bars onto the GX this weekend. A 40" up top and 2 x 12" next to the fogs. The idea for the top bar install came from mudder Wildyoats who also kindly sold me some custom brackets. Didn't end up using his brackets on account of my light bar being slightly too long, but they worked perfectly for the lower light bar install. Switches worked out well too after some careful dremeling. Thx everyone for the inspiration!

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

Including a few pics showing the progression low beam, high beam, lower LEDs then upper LED bar. It's incredible how much light these put out!

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0688.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

image.jpg

I like the stealth mounting in the bumper, and are you using the factory cross bars to mount the 40" bar?

Which roof box is that.....it looks MASSIVE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom