What did you do on your 70 series today? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the quest to track down my 65mph+ vibration, I just put in a new pinion flange. Looking forward to test driving it tonight.

View attachment 3616546
I have been chasing the same. Only things not been replaced are the wheels, which might be happening soon.

yuup

Yes I do, installed along with the Dobinson suspension. In my case I'm pretty sure its coming from the rear end. It's in the driveline, not the tcase or driveshaft or apparently the dang pinion flange. I have new wheels and newish tires, balanced and rotated. Out-of-balance drums? Pinion bearing? Rear wheel bearing? I can't feel any play but process of elimination is sending me there.

Last edited:
Replaced that cracked CV mentioned in my last post. Nice to finally have 4WD capability!

Also replaced my missing jack and took kit with a Hiace kit for a fraction of the cost of cruiser bits. Not complete enough for a massive journey, but will at least let me deal with a puncture.

I'm now finally dealing with my flogged PTO Winch universal joints. The circlips that keep the UJs together, as well as the roll pin that connect the shaft to the winch itself were extremely stuck in place. Required lots of beating things with a hammer, lots of CRC, lots of cursing.
1000009804.jpg

Last edited:
Just placed an order for a few tidbits on Megazip for my 77. They are offering a 20% discount code (GLD20) for the next 20 hours if anyone has been sitting on the fence needing something. Basically paid for the ride from Japan.

Just placed an order for a few tidbits on Megazip for my 77. They are offering a 20% discount code (GLD20) for the next 20 hours if anyone has been sitting on the fence needing something. Basically paid for the ride from Japan.
They always have a promo going on 😉

I’m rebuilding the rear sliding windows on the Troopy. First try was the brut strength kill the knees and back method. This time I’m using the “Arm Jack” method. It’s so easy I’m looking to fly somewhere and replace windows on other people’s troopies!!! Best $39.99 I’ve ever spent. It will make you want to refurbish those rubbers.

IMG_5375.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

I’m rebuilding the rear sliding windows on the Troopy.
Could you explain what you're doing, specifically the kit you're using? The rear sliding window rubbers and metal insert frames on mine BJ70 are absolutely flogged, and definitely leaking when it rains.

Mine is just a solid mild steel rod.
Not sure if Toyota changed the situation between models, or if a previous owner has "upgraded" your sheer pin... But they are designed as a mechanical fuse to prevent damage to your driveline or winch. If it's been made any stronger than normal, it won't carry out this function

The factory shear pin is a solid rod that is basically a 10 amp fuse in a 15 amp circuit.

Could you explain what you're doing, specifically the kit you're using? The rear sliding window rubbers and metal insert frames on mine BJ70 are absolutely flogged, and definitely leaking when it rains.
I am keeping the frames (metal) and all the glass. I have taken out the glass and removed the latches. Then scraped off the black sticker where the latch mounts. I ordered "bailey channel" online. I tinted the glass with 5% tint (the darkest). I will reinstall the four windows after i use Poppy's Patina to clearcoat the troopy. The frames aand glass were a big save for me. I painted everything with flat black rustoleum. the arm jacks are so perfect for this job. It's been a treat working on the troopy.

Fixed a pile of electrical stuff that was annoyingly working whenever it felt like it. break lights and fuel gauges etc. After multiple times pulling wiring etc out I finally found the fuel gauges didn't work because the little screws holding the plastic electrical circuit in place must have had a poor connection

The factory shear pin is a solid rod that is basically a 10 amp fuse in a 15 amp circuit.
Exactly right. I enlarged the hole to the nearest SAE fractional diameter then made some “custom” pins.

Got the PTO winch shaft out. Initially tried to beat the universal joints apart with 2 sockets (imperial ones, since I love them a bit less) and a 3lb hammer:
1714199613264.png

...but they wouldn't separate for love nor money.

Decided I was done asking nicely, took a trip to work and made use of the hydraulic press.
1714199458932.png

Yes I do, installed along with the Dobinson suspension. In my case I'm pretty sure its coming from the rear end. It's in the driveline, not the tcase or driveshaft or apparently the dang pinion flange. I have new wheels and newish tires, balanced and rotated. Out-of-balance drums? Pinion bearing? Rear wheel bearing? I can't feel any play but process of elimination is sending me there.
Des it have a lift, and / or is the diff pinion angle correct? The 2" lift kit i put in mine resulted in a vibration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom