What did you do on your 70 series today? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled the bulbs. Weird, they are 12v and the filaments were broken and sitting on the glass after they got 24v. Glad it's a simple problem. Now I just have to find a USA source for some 24v bulbs for both turn signal and marker lights.

Hello,

Chance's indicators began to act erratically.

I checked for bad grounds, and found a stripped wire. The pervasive legacy of alarm installers. I repaired it, but the problem persisted. The combination switch is fine, and the rest of the wiring was untouched.

The flasher relay turned out to be faulty. It is part 81980-12070, which is discontinued.

202402_01_Relay.jpg

Notice that it has four pins and a rubber cap. The pins had a substance that looked, and felt, like bulb grease. There is an adapter to plug the relay into the three-pin socket.

202402_02_Relay.jpg

202402_03_Relay.jpg

In old age, carbon builds up between the contact plates above the solenoid. As a result, they stick together and interrupt the circuit. A flush with contact cleaner helps a little, but not for long.

202402_04_ Relay.jpg

The replacement part is 81980-32010. It is shorter. It has three pins, unlike 81980-12070. It plugs right in.

202402_05_Relay.jpg

I noticed that the OBD port in the newer model 70 Series is close to the relay block. There is not enough room for the older part to fit. I guess the size change is to make it fit without interfering with the OBD port.

There are two part numbers in this relay. I suppose the lower part number is from Denso, but I may be wrong.

The indicators are now working.

I wonder if there are solid state relays for this application, just like there are solid state voltage regulators for alternators.

Juan

As I continue to rob parts from a RHD to use in my LHD, I needed the lower front center console piece that works with the left hand parking brake. Dan Deery Toyota was surprisingly able to find me this NOS part, in appropriatly dusty packing, and ship it to me for less than 40 bucks!
20240229_174342.jpg

I wonder if there are solid state relays for this application, just like there are solid state voltage regulators for alternators.
I think this one is solid state. Maybe only works with lower amps.

Hello,

I checked for bad grounds, and found a stripped wire. The pervasive legacy of alarm installers. I repaired it, but the problem persisted. The combination switch is fine, and the rest of the wiring was untouched.

The flasher relay turned out to be faulty. It is part 81980-12070, which is discontinued.

View attachment 3570315
Notice that it has four pins and a rubber cap. The pins had a substance that looked, and felt, like bulb grease. There is an adapter to plug the relay into the three-pin socket.

View attachment 3570317
View attachment 3570321

In old age, carbon builds up between the contact plates above the solenoid. As a result, they stick together and interrupt the circuit. A flush with contact cleaner helps a little, but not for long.

View attachment 3570324

The replacement part is 81980-32010. It is shorter. It has three pins, unlike 81980-12070. It plugs right in.

View attachment 3570325
I noticed that the OBD port in the newer model 70 Series is close to the relay block. There is not enough room for the older part to fit. I guess the size change is to make it fit without interfering with the OBD port.

There are two part numbers in this relay. I suppose the lower part number is from Denso, but I may be wrong.

Juan
As usual, you're doing it the right way.

Whereas I used a variable speed cheapy off Amazon to counter my hyper flashing led indicators. I did have to wire a pigtail to reverse the connections but otherwise it worked fine. I do keep the original in my Doug's Tub for when the cheapie fails. ;)

Hello,

View attachment 3570315

View attachment 3570317
View attachment 3570321

View attachment 3570324

View attachment 3570325

Juan

Juan, I replaced mine as well Part number changed. New part number: 8198032010 and this worked for me even if shorter I manage to put it in and problem solved

Last edited:
Juan, I replaced mine as well Part number changed. New part number: 8198032010 and this worked for me even if shorter I manage to put it in and problem solved
Hello,

Yes, that is the new/replacement part. It is the one I used. And yes, it plugs right in.

As a confirmation of the electrical test, I tried to plug the faulty relay into a 71 Series. That is how I found out about the change in size, because the old part did not fit there.

I try to test relays on another truck, in order to confirm the multimeter's results. I think it is good practice, and a way to spot/confirm electrical gremlins as well.

Juan

As usual, you're doing it the right way.

Whereas I used a variable speed cheapy off Amazon to counter my hyper flashing led indicators. I did have to wire a pigtail to reverse the connections but otherwise it worked fine. I do keep the original in my Doug's Tub for when the cheapie fails. ;)

Hello,

Thank you for your kind words.

The only incandescent bulbs I keep on my trucks are those of the indicators. My question on the solid-state flasher had to do with using LEDs, as well as long term reliability.

On the other hand, indicators' flashing rate and voltage drop (if any) are a qualitative way to assess the condition of the electrical system, particularly in trucks that use incandescent bulbs like our Cruisers. It is a good starting point for troubleshooting in my book.

Juan

Radiator replacement day for the 77.

Aluminum jobby formed a small lower seam leak and not trusting that BS on the fresh rebuild.

16400-17080 @ my local dealership showed up in two days undamaged and came with all the stuffs. Shiny! Already have an external trans cooler so the MT version radiator worked a champ for me. Also note that I already had the LandTank orange hub tuned fan clutch. Airflow's been pretty damn restricted for awhile.
IMG_9780.JPG

IMG_9782.JPG

So confident that I installed the splash guard originally purchased for the 73. Fits. Used the spacer pucks that were used to space the old AL radiator to provide a gap for the cooler lines. Will upgrade to something stronger eventually.

IMG_9783.JPG

IMG_9784.JPG

Parked next to a fancy decked out Tacoma yesterday. Got a thumbs up from the owner. Five mins later a 100 series (Lexus) pulled up next to me and gave me another.

She must've been proud of herself because this morning she rolled up 285000 kms and after being out in -20°C all day, unplugged, she started smoothly on a single glow.

24 volts for the win!
PXL_20240304_001430998.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom