What did you do on your 70 series today? (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Suspension questions for input please…

While I’m working on the Hzj75 fire truck I’m looking at suspension options.
The back springs on this fire truck are thicker then a corn fed heifer and the fronts are pancaked.

State side there is OMemu and dobbisons available. Anyone had any experience with the terrain tamer parabolic’s that they released for the 75s ? Worth it ? Are they available here in the US ?
Obviously I did not get a 75 to be comfortable but if I’m going to redo the springs I’d like to just do it once.
Air bags worth looking at ?
This truck will have a steel trey bed and not ever carry a lot of weight
I’d appreciate any input if anyone is willing to share.
Do we have a terrain tamer distributor here in the US?
I believe @coldtaco had Terrain Tamer parabolics on his HJ75. Cruiser Brothers @orangefj45 are TT dealers here in the US.

I just pulled in my driveway today and saw this...I then went back out and bought a lottery ticket.

IMG_4382.jpg

I've also been working on 24V power to the rear of my cruiser for the compressor and my fridge. Made this panel to fill in the tool compartment hole (the factory plastic cover broke). 24v ciggie lighter on the left for the fridge, 24V anderson plug for my portable Viair compressor on the right.
4B0659E9-DB42-4CA9-9D5D-B98FCE87F266.jpg

I made this bracket for a Cole-Hersee 24V continuous duty solenoid under the hood, which is controlled by a switch in the dash so I can turn the rear power on/off

238B8ADF-D575-4429-955D-2D8887E9EE5E.jpg

Forgot to add a circuit breaker behind the rear panel so it's not quite done yet but it'll be nice to have power at the rear now.

Suspension questions for input please…

While I’m working on the Hzj75 fire truck I’m looking at suspension options.
The back springs on this fire truck are thicker then a corn fed heifer and the fronts are pancaked.

State side there is OMemu and dobbisons available. Anyone had any experience with the terrain tamer parabolic’s that they released for the 75s ? Worth it ? Are they available here in the US ?
Obviously I did not get a 75 to be comfortable but if I’m going to redo the springs I’d like to just do it once.
Air bags worth looking at ?
This truck will have a steel trey bed and not ever carry a lot of weight
I’d appreciate any input if anyone is willing to share.
Do we have a terrain tamer distributor here in the US?
I have OME Dakar medium 2.5" lift on my BJ73. Ride is wonderfully better than the worn out flat stock springs and they flex well off road. After 2 years they have sagged a little. probably lost 3/4" of the lift I had when they were new. My spring droop is limited by the shocks as I have not bought longer shocks yet.

I like to build and try new things, If I keep the BJ73 I may make a 3 link system using airbags and the original springs cut in half to keep the geometry good locating the axle but airbags providing the actual spring. More ground clearance and no shackles/springs hitting rocks.

To be very simple you can add a couple of airbags on the rear to level her out if you load up for camping and want to off road loaded down. Making a simple sway bar disconnect is a great addition for off road. It will increase articulation and ride comfort off road.

If you got a little more time than money you could re-arch your stock springs yourself and remove a few leafs so they're not too stiff.

Some spring manufacturers recommend a "anti inversion shackle" for their springs. If you decide to fabricate and not buy these, tractor supply sells some metal bushings that 2 of them between your shackle plates over your shackle bolt will keep your shackles properly spaced when you crank down the nuts and you won't rip your new bushings by being too tight on your shackle bolts.

One of the final steps to the kaymar re-install. I put the swing out back on (for the right side only). I need to get used to it but I think over time I will find it more handy than an extra step to opening the back. I have a swing out for the left side that also carry spare tire but I am going to see if I can somehow modify it to carry something other than that.

swingout.jpg

Edit: I forgot to mention that the rubber trim for the wings from Kaymar is pretty crappy in my opinion so I am trying some others from McMaster to see how they work.

trim1.jpg
trim2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a swing out for the left side that also carry spare tire but I am going to see if I can somehow modify it to carry something other than that.
I put storage boxes on mine.
boxes

This one I had been putting off for awhile but finally got to it. While the wiring in my HZJ77 was pretty much left alone except for the installation of a 12v/24v converter and a couple of other small things such as a toll road card reader. I removed all of that but the wiring behind the cigarette lighter was pretty hacked up and I had repaired it the best I could at the time.

Fast forward, I finally got my hands on a new cigarette lighter assy and put it in so the wiring is back to OEM state.

Before:
lighter3.jpg

New cigarette assembly unit. P/N: 85500-90K00 24V
lighter2.jpg

After:
lighter1.jpg

I did a weekend trip to the Westerwald hills along the river valleys of Sieg and Nister. Not offroad, but a cultural trip this time.
On Saturday I visited some old castle ruins and some heritage village centers with frame house architecture, as well as a local heritage museum.
Lots of cool and interesting insides (not much Landcruiser pics, though).
20220611_113825.jpg
20220611_114229.jpg

This was my campsite for the night. Next to Nister river:
20220611_175234.jpg
20220612_101207.jpg
20220612_101303.jpg

On Sunday I visited a vintage car show. The event was held as a charity for the victims of the severe floods that devastated the Ahr river valley last year.
There was an overwhelming response of well over 700 vehicles attending. (Edit: figure corrected as per press release).
The venue was a former basalt stone quarry, called Stoeffel-Park, with some really cool vintage industrial buildings on it.
20220612_114048.jpg

The ground however was not all over suitable for normal street cars, and with that many vehicles they ran out of suitable parking places.
So the more capable vehicles got the somewhat more rough spots assigned 😁 I couldn't care less.
20220612_110730.jpg

20220612_112621.jpg
20220612_134957.jpg

There was only one other Landcruiser J7 on the show. Sadly I couldn't make contact as the owner didn't stick around with his vehicle.
Very nicely restored.
20220612_122450.jpg

Other than that I met a BJ46 LWB coming in, when I left.
Very nice and fun weekend 😃

Last edited:
Added some additional LED lighting to the overhead console.
* White for those occasions when I want to find that penny I dropped in the floorboard.
* Green to maintain my night vision when I’m hunting critters before daybreak.
45C89A45-8905-48B5-A6BB-FAC228437156.jpeg
3272DEFE-843B-4DDF-8459-0314CF6F6742.jpeg

Since returning to the Philippines and while driving my LC truck; I have heard an occasional thump sound when going over bumps. Checked the suspension recently after getting the leaks in the fuel tank repaired. Didn't see any problems, but the noise persisted.
Today while checking the oil level I finally found the source of the noise. The battery hold down bolts were each backed out several turns; I snugged down the bolts and the noise was gone.
While I was living in Florida during the COVID outbreak; my brother in law had the battery replaced and the starter rebuilt. I better do a thorough inspection of the engine compartment.

Last edited:
I replaced the seals that were supplied with the kaybar rear bumper (sorry, no closeup before picture but they didn't look good installed to me). I used seals ordered from mcmaster which worked 100 times better. The kaymar seals wouldn't even stay on properly and required glue per instructions.

mcmastercarr seal on left, kaymar seal on the right.....
seals.JPG

After pics...no glue, no mess. Just crimps over the edge.

mcmasterseal2.jpg
mcmasterseal1.jpg

Last edited:
I replaced the seals that were supplied with the kaybar rear bumper (sorry, no closeup before picture but they didn't look good installed to me). I used seals ordered from mcmaster which worked 100 times better. The kaymar seals wouldn't even stay on properly and required glue per instructions.

mcmastercarr seal on left, kaymar seal on the right.....
View attachment 3038517

After pics...no glue, no mess. Just crimps over the edge.

View attachment 3038518 View attachment 3038519
Not sure what I would do at times if there wasn't a McMaster Carr.

Not sure what I would do at times if there wasn't a McMaster Carr.

We say that at work all the time. To me, grainger and fastenal doesn't even come close but I guess it varies on your specific needs.

I remember when I got my very own big yellow McM catalogue back in the day right after I graduated and started my engineering career...it was like getting the Sears Xmas catalogue when I was little.

I remember when I got my very own big yellow McM catalogue back in the day right after I graduated and started my engineering career...it was like getting the Sears Xmas catalogue when I was little.

Up until this year....we had 15 years of those big yellow McMaster Catalogs going back to 2006 or so. We threw them all away during some "pandemic downtime spring cleaning activity"...... but that was before we realized what prices they fetch online. Oh well........

We never use them. Not sure why they continue to send them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom