What did you do on your 70 series today? (43 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lol...sorry @FJBen I am just as guilty adding stuff other people probably don't like. My post wasn't meant to offend. I forget who has snorkels or doesn't so I will just stay quiet going forward about them on the forum. 🤐

I see my share of apocalypse ready vehicles in San Antonio with rotopax type accessories every day. A lot of 4runners are set up this way at Toyota plant parking lot and never have a speck of dirt on them every time I see them which is every day. Hell of a daily commute vehicle.

no offense taken at all. :beer: Ive never put a snorkel on a vehicle, they have always been on them when I get them.
This made me laugh out loud when you replied.

guilty of useless dorkel violation. 8^)

--r

I have a set of the hood/windscreen block clamps. I know I will never install them.
Anybody want them for Use or for Show?

Haven’t driven the 70 Series much lately but today was “haul off the trash” day. 😊
6FB4E8A0-2D0A-491D-8182-9AD50D75B2E8.jpeg

The speedometer graphic was revised and redone in adobe illustrator. It looks a lot better than the original one I did awhile back which I did in a different way and not very good. I plan to start working on 180kmh version later.

CaptureSpeedo2.JPG

CaptureSpeedo3.JPG

The speedometer graphic was revised and redone in adobe illustrator. It looks a lot better than the original one I did awhile back which I did in a different way and not very good. I plan to start working on 180kmh version later.

View attachment 2893313

View attachment 2893340

Wait, so you are saying my 1st gen @FJ73Texas overlay is inferior? All this time I thought I was ahead of curve! :) Thanks for working on these, I love mine! 👍👍👍🤙

overlay_05.jpg

overlay_06.jpg

I guess it sounds like that from what I typed but you just got the first batch of when I attempted to make the overlays. I just felt I could have done better so I made version 2. I know it may not be worth the trouble to you but if you want to try out version 2 and compare...I will send you one. What you are using now actually still looks very good though. From what I remember you don't have to remove the needle in your case.

Last edited:
I guess it sounds like that from what I typed but you just got the first batch of when I attempted to make the overlays. I just felt I could have done better so I made version 2. I know it may not be worth the trouble to you but if you want to try out version 2 and compare...I will send you one. What you are using now actually still looks very good though. From what I remember you don't have to remove the needle in your case.

I think mine is sweet as, looks great and was only joking about it being inferior. I'm surprised you went back to messing with these since you couldn't use the first ones you created.

You remember correctly, I did not remove the needle, and it would be pretty easy to swap it out with a new one. Since I have that funny tab that separates the odometer from the trip odometer I cut the overlay so it could go around the needle base; the tab hides the cut. I can barely see it and I know it's there. It really is an awesome "upgrade".

I'm surprised you went back to messing with these since you couldn't use the first ones you created.

Couple of people asked for one so I decided to redo the graphic at the same time. but yes I do wish I could use one myself.

What svsisu said, my overlay is great!

I suppose I can see a second generation with cleaner lines and blacker blacks, but dang, I'm super happy to have the one I have.

Wash day today.
Then took roof off so I can trim the ceiling with some car builders heat guard and carpet.
Also polished my snorkel in anticipation of some rain and worked out where I can install some rotopax for maximum impact.
😉 @FJ73Texas

0F4877A3-9193-4CBF-BEB6-6CB1E35EA7D3.jpeg

5C8EF098-2759-4671-BC46-7C1F663F629A.jpeg

Pulled out the vinyl floor today to see what the PO left behind under it...
1. A layer of cotton recycling stuff as isolation and sound dampening. Humid. To be removed.
2. Pieces from a camping mattress.
The floor panel showed the expected bridle asphalt sound deadner. Removed it...
Diagnosis:
Driver footwell: OK. Some surface rust spots under that asphalt stuff. No problem.

Passenger footwell: Not so well. An area is heavily rusted, with a hole. The drain hole has trippled in size. PO had covered it with plaster. :-(
I need to find somebody to weld in some patches..
View attachment 2833313
View attachment 2833314
The vinyl floor is torn. I'm tempted to get it replaced, but I must first use my budget to fix the floorplan undercoating.
Cheers
Ralf
I eventually got my passenger footwell welded. 😀 Thank you, Darius. Nice work.
20220115_121833.jpg

Next is coating (in and under) and butyl sound deadner to replaced the removed asphalt stuff.
Next big job then is removing and preserving the tank as well as replacing the rusty filler neck octopus.
In March it will go for body cavity- and underbody preservation. All coating needs to be completed before they flood the rig with FluidFilm and Mike Sanders.
Cheers
Ralf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom