What did you do on your 70 series today? (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to fixing some damage I did a while back in Uwharrie. Kissed a rock with the right rocker panel denting it upwards a bit and partially crushing my exhaust tubing where it went underneath the factory exhaust hanger protruding from the frame. I also mashed my Expedient skid plate into contact with the transfer case some engine vibes have been going directly to the frame making noise for some time.

I removed the 6-ft piece of flex pipe that was smashed. I cut the factory exhaust hanger off the frame with the sawzall. This allowed me to push the new flex pipe a good two inches upward and out of the way. The exhaust no longer protrudes below the rocker panel like it does on most bj-73s. It doesn't vibrate against the floor and it doesn't get my floor mats too hot. This will make room for me to figure out how to fabricate Rock sliders and attachments that will go below the exhaust and rocker panel.

Unbolted to makeshift skid plate and the truck is now much quieter. Need to make a new better skid plate for the T-case now.

The Rock sliders may not be exactly Rock sliders but more of rocker panel armor to prevent smashing in of the rocker panel and affecting door closure. If I made straight up strong Rock sliders it would affect my ground clearance which is actually quite good.

First pick new pipe installed and low-hanging exhaust hanger removed. Second pick from side of truck showing the exhaust no longer hangs lower than the rocker panel. The third pic shows the original exhaust hanger that got in the way....... I do know flex pipe isn't optimum and it will likely rust/break away in 2 years. I ended up with five free 6-ft pieces so it has become my snorkel the majority of my exhaust and other things as well. Make use of it till it's gone. One day I'll pay 200 bucks for an exhaust shop to make me a proper pipe.

View attachment 2718659

View attachment 2718660

View attachment 2718662

That's a better price than I got for an exhaust quote. Stopped by a shop real quick. $700+ without muffler for exhaust quote to go to 2.5" o_O

That's a better price than I got for an exhaust quote. Stopped by a shop real quick. $700+ without muffler for exhaust quote to go to 2.5" o_O
I pulled that number out of the air and meant it only for the "down out and back in pipe". 3 flanges and 3 bends on about 8 feet of pipe probably about 1.5 hours of work to make it good enough out of standard 2.25" aluminized exhaust tubing. Not mandrel bent wrinkle free tig welded stainless or anything of the sort...That's also me going to a reasonable local shop I know in work clothes with dirty hands and cut knuckles and the old pipe removed and ready to put in a new piece.........

I'll put up a pic when the rocker panel guards are done.

Front fenders are available from US Toyota dealers.
Any chance you know if the front fender is available new with flare mounts? -90K15 is more expensive, and states a specific tire width, I’m hoping that means it's provisioned w/ flare mounts...? In all the diagrams I've checked, can't seem to find anything that specifically calls out what’s different between these two PNs.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 14.13.26.png

I paid $335 for 2.5" and no muffler a few years ago. Steel has more than doubled since then though. I'm getting my FJ55 exhaust done today and they quoted $220, if they don't have to replace the muffler, which they shouldn't since it's just a few years old and I hardly ever drive it.

I paid $335 for 2.5" and no muffler a few years ago. Steel has more than doubled since then though. I'm getting my FJ55 exhaust done today and they quoted $220, if they don't have to replace the muffler, which they shouldn't since it's just a few years old and I hardly ever drive it.

Thats more of what I was expecting, like $350_$450ish without muffler. $700+ to start seemed like a lot. I need to find a different shop, this was a mom and pop who I like to support but, that takes a lot of money from my bike part list :rofl:

You can prolly find a better price,, but metal prices are almost as nuts as lumber.

Last edited:
Hooked up a keyless entry box I've had sitting around for a while. It was one of those small projects that keeps getting put off because there are bigger fish to fry. When I took the door card off, I was surprised to discover a little cubby hole in the vapor barrier that fit the control box perfectly. Spent more time than expected trying to match up the instructions for the control box with the wiring diagram for the door locking system, but my solution seems to be working.
Keyless1.jpg

Keyless2.jpg

Happy Canada Day to all my fellow 70 series canuck owners.
IMG_20210701_153628397.jpg

Getting ready for a trip with my brother... Nowhere remote, just a chance to get away for a few days. This morning I set up a 12v batt in the back to run the fridge. My 24->12v converter is set up to charge the aux batt when engine is running. This is proof of concept right now, and everything is manually switched but i want to see how it works before I do anything more permanent.

Hooked up a keyless entry box I've had sitting around for a while. It was one of those small projects that keeps getting put off because there are bigger fish to fry. When I took the door card off, I was surprised to discover a little cubby hole in the vapor barrier that fit the control box perfectly. Spent more time than expected trying to match up the instructions for the control box with the wiring diagram for the door locking system, but my solution seems to be working.
View attachment 2718944
View attachment 2718945
That is really good would you post the model used and a wiring diagram please. Graeme

I completed my camping setup with an awning.
20210702_193720.jpg

Welting channel riveted under the gutter.
20210702_193927.jpg

I also installed a power center and fusebox in the lower compartment of the arm rest.
Socket , voltmeter and 2xUSB. Another 2xUSB sits on the right side near the rear door. All with switched.
20210702_203429.jpg

I took the rig on a 550km trip into The Netherlands last weekend. Ran sweet. No issues. Let's see what to do this weekend. 😀
Cheers Ralf

Finished my first rocker guard yesterday. 1x3x.125" rectangular tubing. Attached to the frame with welded 1 inch pipe and braced at angles with 3/16 bar stock. Goal was to protect the rockers from Rock damage due to mistakes while off-roading while not decreasing my ground clearance. I'm not going to call them Rock sliders because they don't protrude far enough to protect the doors and I wouldn't intentionally put the weight of the entire vehicle on one and skid it over a rock.
IMG_20210703_123701.jpg

IMG_20210703_123720.jpg

IMG_20210703_123645.jpg

Loaded it down (overloaded) with IKs, bikes, bbq, 3 coolers and the kitchen sink for the 4th weekend. I need new springs...
IMG_20210702_190357641.jpg

Saw this late model 40 this a.m. in the parking lot at the trailhead. Montana plate # 'FJ40'
IMG_20210703_072322166.jpg
IMG_20210703_072332722.jpg

Last edited:

Just completed a 14,500-kilometer cross-country journey from the Atlantic Coast to the Pacific and everywhere in between in my 1987 BJ75 that I slapped a $50 junkyard turbo onto 2 weeks prior. Nothing broke... Only had to pull out a wrench for fuel adjustment depending on altitude, that's Toyota for you. I'll make a thread soon with all the photos/videos and a day-by-day rundown of what happened.

EDS_0156.jpg
temp_image_for_default_share-3.jpg
EDS_0299.jpg
EDS_0421.jpg
EDS_0342.jpg

Only had to pull out a wrench for fuel adjustment depending on altitude
I hope to be in the Rockies in 10days or so.
I’d like to know more about your altitude adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom