What did you do on your 70 series today? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice one!

Sure some of the folks in this thread may have some questions for ya:

This works a charm

3rdstmetal-40.jpg

3rdstmetal-41.jpg

LeafPeepCDT-31.jpg

Last edited:
I should add that to rearrange the pins of the kit connectors to line up with the pins of the HZJ77 connectors for tail/stop/turn, it helped me to understand the 3-2 taillight converter that was hardwired into the kit.

View attachment 2694175

etrailer was nice enough to let me know what model was used in the kit: Tekonsha | 119130 | Taillight Converter - https://www.tekonsha.com/product/119130_taillight-converter
Not sure it applies to you but it probably applies to someone out there. I used a 3-2 converter on my bj-73 with a resistor on the ground wire to drop the voltage down from 24 volts. It still did not hold up the converter burned out. Currently I have tail lights only on the trailer, drive conservatively and not in traffic when towing.

Took these 2 out to the Toyota Beach Bash today........seems to be a pretty regular event now. There were a dizzying amount of Tacomas and 4Runners.

20210605_144742_1.jpeg

20210605_150432.jpeg

20210605_150843.jpeg

Not sure it applies to you but it probably applies to someone out there. I used a 3-2 converter on my bj-73 with a resistor on the ground wire to drop the voltage down from 24 volts. It still did not hold up the converter burned out. Currently I have tail lights only on the trailer, drive conservatively and not in traffic when towing.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. While everything is working good now I was brainstorming how to drop the voltage some to avoid this long term. I am trying to avoid a janky mess of wires as much as possible.

I finished the wiring of the kaymar led pods and tapped them into the etrailer adapter I mentioned a few posts back. Everything works well (turn, stop, backup, and tail). I also added odd iron led lights but had to take them back out because of turn signal hyper flashing. I know it is a common issue that is easily fixed but that will be another day.

C44F72A0-2975-4777-A86B-E1CB13920A2F.jpeg

My cat has seemed to take a liking to the rear cargo mat while watching me.

ED9C46A1-B8A4-485A-8784-7FD784647524.jpeg

I finished the wiring of the kaymar led pods and tapped them into the etrailer adapter I mentioned a few posts back. Everything works well (turn, stop, backup, and tail). I also added odd iron led lights but had to take them back out because of turn signal hyper flashing. I know it is a common issue that is easily fixed but that will be another day.

View attachment 2695708

My cat has seemed to take a liking to the rear cargo mat while watching me.

View attachment 2695712
Rob has the flashers in stock. Just give him a shout. 😊

A friend stopped by to help me get the kaymar bumper on the HZJ77 since it was too heavy for me to lift alone and insert bolts at the same time. After that hurdle, it was pretty easy to complete the rest.

Thank you to @joekatana for making these available.

@divemedic thread about installing this bumper is very helpful and recommended if you will tackle this job yourself on a HZJ77.

74BD2E13-91AC-4C4C-ABD5-3D578EA3FD90.jpeg

Last edited:
I referred Bill to Ujoints in ABQ. They did all of my driveshaft work when I lived in NM.
Thanks for that recco, @Onur. Actually, I wound up working with Santa Fe Auto Machine here in town. The rear is totally new (all Spicer) and the front was salvageable except for the slip yoke.
Eric at SFAM is excellent.

I referred Bill to Ujoints in ABQ. They did all of my driveshaft work when I lived in NM.
They did my Ujoints on the LX back in the ABQ days

How do the Spicer joints hold up with the 70 series? I know when people tried to use them on the 80 series they didn't last very long.

Purchased a trailer wiring kit off etrailer that uses the exact same male/female connectors to the combination lights for a different Toyota vehicle. I did have to re-pin the connectors so they properly match up with the HZJ77 connector pin locations for brake, tail, and turn signals. I tested everything after re-pinning the connectors and hooked it up....and it worked perfectly.

What is nice about this kit is that I can now tap into the wires of of the wiring kit rather than butchering and splicing the factory OEM harness for the bumper lights, The 4-pin trailer connector can also be easily adapted to 7-pin trailer connector as well but that is a project for another day.

View attachment 2693972

View attachment 2693974

View attachment 2693975
That's a great find! One interesting thing is that when I was doing my lights, the LH turn signal was also in that RH rear corner, so I was able to get all connections in one place. But as you said it wasn't made for this vehicle so that makes sense. Love having plugs to use instead of tapping.

That's a great find! One interesting thing is that when I was doing my lights, the LH turn signal was also in that RH rear corner, so I was able to get all connections in one place. But as you said it wasn't made for this vehicle so that makes sense. Love having plugs to use instead of tapping.

Yeah I found that out too which didn’t make any sense to me. lol By then I had already adapted the etrailer harness adapter and tapped into that itself. There was no cutting of the oem harness anywhere so I am happy with that. Plus I have a 4 pin trailer plug I can use for the time being if I want to.

If your boss would stop sending so many 1A orders, I would have more time to stay home (Or take vacation) and play with the cruiser. ;)

Last edited:
My rear tank never had the “stinky fuel” decal but that oversight has now been corrected. 😊
D4540025-15A1-4A86-954B-19393B2290C2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• LDRF
Back
Top Bottom