What did you do on your 70 series today? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Installed a larger radiator fan on the BJ73. With a turbo on the 3B I have minor issue with heat buildup at interstate speed (65-70mph) on hot summer days with the AC on. Mud member Well sorted(Well Sorted - https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/well-sorted.121809/) did a cummins 2.8 conversion on a bj70 and had similar problems. He fixed the problem with a larger 17" radiator fan.
I installed a 17" high flow fan without fan clutch today. Had to realign the fan shroud a bit on my already DIY radiator mount for the aftermarket aluminum radiator. I have alot more airflow now. It is very evident how much more air is flowing through when you lean over the engine with the hood open. We'll see what the temp guage says next time I'm on the highway. ...........In the pic the stock fan is on the left.

IMG_20210610_003505.jpg

How often do you guys have these events I’m down in Miami and would love to see some other 70s !
They seem to have them every 3-4 months. Florunna on IG is the guy that puts them on. At least I think that's who puts them on.

Installed a larger radiator fan on the BJ73. With a turbo on the 3B I have minor issue with heat buildup at interstate speed (65-70mph) on hot summer days with the AC on. Mud member Well sorted(Well Sorted - https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/well-sorted.121809/) did a cummins 2.8 conversion on a bj70 and had similar problems. He fixed the problem with a larger 17" radiator fan.
I installed a 17" high flow fan without fan clutch today. Had to realign the fan shroud a bit on my already DIY radiator mount for the aftermarket aluminum radiator. I have alot more airflow now. It is very evident how much more air is flowing through when you lean over the engine with the hood open. We'll see what the temp guage says next time I'm on the highway. ...........In the pic the stock fan is on the left.

View attachment 2699697
Drove the new setup for about 1 hour today. Water temp guage is noticeably cooler. The larger fan without clutch much more of a drag on the engine. EGT's up a bit pushing the bigger fan. I may trim the fan a bit. Air conditioner is noticeably cooler with this fan. My condenser is a bit undersized for the vintage air system I'm using. It is also a bit too close to the radiator. The big fan definately helps there...................One cool sensory effect is that the LC now sounds a bit like a WWII jeep when you have it revved up in the lower gears with the fan whirring away.

In my next experiment I may Fab a new exhaust manifold that flows more freely and go up to a TD05 16G as opposed toa TD04 13T that I have now. I have Zero turbo lag now and a little more lag would not be a issue. More air/boost under load would outweigh any spoolup lag.............It's all a learning experience.

Nothing mechanical …. Thankfully. Spent the day with fellow Cruiserheads riding trails in the Aucilla River WMA. Unbelievable scenery only an hour south of home.
859AF64D-D984-4850-B3C9-5D1408C8F48B.jpeg
87DFA297-56D1-4EED-ADF6-89E0DC8439B2.jpeg
8D043EAD-2F2B-4D54-BFFE-DAFE30EF2904.jpeg

Last edited:
@joekatana it does not look like there are wheel spacers on them, so must be a good offset?
+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom