What did you do on your 70 series today? (50 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like both styles as well. Given the opportunity I wouldn't mind swapping my Prado front end for the new wide nose, it would probably put an end to people asking if it's an Isuzu!

You can't make everyone happy right? LOL
When I drove Pajeros, everyone asked how I liked my Suzukis? :) Now that my daily is a Prado 90, folks ask how long I've had my pajero? :cool: Not sure what they'll call the big HZJ once it comes out into the sunlight... probably a suburban?

Anyways, another vote cast for the narrow nose/wide fenders. Just something about that long tapered front...

I get complements on my BJ73 about 2-3 times a week when I drive it daily. People admire rugged simplicity. So many people in the US wish they could buy a new 4wd that was rugged, simple(easy to repair without extra features to break), and not priced so high that you're afraid to take it off road. It also says something about the driver owner in that you have the confidence to buy/build/repair/maintain a 25+ year old imported vehicle that you often have to search to get parts for....This sort of thing doesn't go out of style no matter what the body variation. Alot of people are disallusioned with the high cost and complexity of newer vehicles that seem to be designed to support dealer service centers. How many times have you tried to work on a newer vehicle only to feel the desire to slap the crap out of some engineer who designed it? I rarely ever feel that way about my BJ73. Boxy with alot of windows and good visibility so I can see whats around me and avoid crashing into it as opposed to thick pillars stuffed with airbags to protect me in the crash that happens because I can no longer see the vehicles around me very well. Yep 70's are stylish forever for those who know and will be for more people in the future.

Prior to discovering the 70 Series, I owned a number of old Series Land Rovers. (1960’s models). To this day when I do something stupid I blame it on years of being exposed to gear oil fumes. 😁

I get complements on my BJ73 about 2-3 times a week when I drive it daily. People admire rugged simplicity. So many people in the US wish they could buy a new 4wd that was rugged, simple(easy to repair without extra features to break), and not priced so high that you're afraid to take it off road. It also says something about the driver owner in that you have the confidence to buy/build/repair/maintain a 25+ year old imported vehicle that you often have to search to get parts for....This sort of thing doesn't go out of style no matter what the body variation. Alot of people are disallusioned with the high cost and complexity of newer vehicles that seem to be designed to support dealer service centers. How many times have you tried to work on a newer vehicle only to feel the desire to slap the crap out of some engineer who designed it? I rarely ever feel that way about my BJ73. Boxy with alot of windows and good visibility so I can see whats around me and avoid crashing into it as opposed to thick pillars stuffed with airbags to protect me in the crash that happens because I can no longer see the vehicles around me very well. Yep 70's are stylish forever for those who know and will be for more people in the future.
well said

He got me off the line but I was closing in at a 1/4 mile. :lol:

134E9308-CDAF-4C1A-9522-2CB276DA6507.jpeg

He got me off the line but I was closing in at a 1/4 mile. :lol:

View attachment 2604320
True story. A buddy of mine back in the late 80s beat a loud mouth kid in a mustang stoplight to stoplight dragrace with his 1/2 ton chevy 4X4. How is this possible? Chevy had a mildly modified 350(Holley 4bbl and intake, headers, dual exhaust) 31X10.5 all terrains. He put in in 4wd and low range stoplights were only about 400ft apart. His 0-40mph time on pavement with big tires in 4wd were so quick the mustang couldn't catch it in that short distance.(keep in mind this was a mid 80's mustang with about 200hp and much smaller tires than todays version).

I have committed to new paint for the BJ73 today. It is from Spain and had some minor rust perforation that was repaired with only lightweight filler and no rust converter treatment. After a few years it has started to bubble out a little in a few places. I did some repair grinding out the bubbled rust, treating with rust converter, and beginning repair with a waterproof hard polyester resin fiber reinforced filler as a base and only using lightweight filler to smooth it out. It is white which shows dirt terribly. I had excellant results spraying rustoleum white thinned with naptha from a HVLP detail gun doing spot repairs. Zero "orange peel" and no runs, but color is not quite a match. I'm going to go slow and easy doing a panel at a time over the course of a week using "XO rust" which is a enamel similar to rustoleum, but with better adhesion, rust protection, and color match tintable. I'll attempt to match toyota "olive brown" 653. It will show dirt much less, plus it blends in a bit in the woods. I have painted from the first body crease down to the rockers with textured bedliner to hide some imperfect bodywork and make future damage less difficult to blend/repair. I'll paint olive over this. I thought about going satin instead of gloss paint, but I'm going to do gloss. I can knock of the shine with a gray/black pad on a orbital if I decide I want it satin or matte.......I'll post some pics when it's done.
Got my paint today. I went with Olive 637 instead of 653. I printed a pic of the color from a toyota brochure at walgreens photoshop and then had the truevalue hardware scan it to formulate the color match tint in their "XO rust" brand. It's pretty close. Maybe just a hair darker. XO rust is intended to paint on bare metal with or without primer. I'm going to rough out the white paint with 220 grit on a orbital and use bondo "glazing putty" on chips/scratches and paint right over the old paint. I bought a gallon which is more than necessary so if I have imperfections I can sand them out and spot them later. I'll paint the door jambs to match, but I might leave the interior white as it's brighter..Not sure yet.

I hope to avoid the pitfall of filling, sanding, refilling, sanding in the endless quest to get it perfect. I want it to look good from 30ft away.

A sunny day since quite a while.
Took BJ for a round trip to some local castles and monasteries near Cologne. Northrhine Westphalia is one of the densest populatedf federal states in Germany. Every gathering of more than 3 trees is apparently protected as a nature reserve. No offroading at all, except for a few offroad parks and a bit of greenlaning (which actually is illegal). So, one needs to go different style here to enjoy your Landcruiser.
20210306_140150.jpg
20210306_133752.jpg
20210306_131806.jpg

I was in Austin this morning and got the infamous "jeep" comment in a parking lot which almost made me bust out laughing because of the recent comments in this thread.

Also on the way home on I-35 had two different people roll down windows and snap photos of the cruiser. What I was hoping to see is other land cruiser eye candy but nothing to see during my short time there in the morning.

I never get the "jeep" thing? I guess it's because it says Land Cruiser on the roof rather large on the 73 series. I would see it being a problem on one without it. I do get the "jeep" when I am driving the fj45 or Series Land Rover.

It's hard not to get noticed driving an imported vehicle it's not really what I was taking about earlier in this thread though. Not really sure how it turned into that, guess everyone got a little defensive. Don't worry 70 series are cool 🤣 I was mostly talking about the loss of style from say the 40/55 series to the 200 series which doesn't look all that different to a Sequoia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom