What did you do on your 70 series today? (40 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I finally installed LED bulbs for Odd Iron.
Interior? I ordered some about a month ago and they got lost in the 'winter storms' down south...USPS says they're still on their way, but in the meantime he sent out another order on Monday and they're out for delivery today.

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when they swap out the flat fenders for the newer style front end? Flat fenders like a 40 has so much more style.
From the side view, it looks like a 60 series, which also is a good looking vehicle.

Narrow vs wide nose, I prefer the narrow nose. But I'll gladly take a wide nose if it comes with a 1VD-FTE engine... which I think was the whole reason for the wide nose.

The wide nose addition completely makes sense if the frame has also been modified for an larger engine. I wonder if that HDJ73 also has the frame modified or it was just an exterior face lift to make it look newer?

The 73/74 never came as a wide nose from the factory, correct?

The wide nose addition completely makes sense if the frame has also been modified for an larger engine. I wonder if that HDJ73 also has the frame modified or it was just an exterior face lift to make it look newer?

Correct.

@FJ73Texas Whether the larger engine (and turbo) can fit between the frame rails is one factor. The wide nose also increases frontal area.... which increases radiator cooling capacity. I have nothing from Toyota that says that but if you look at the Jeep JT 3.0 Turbo Diesel vs 3.6 Gas motor, the Turbo Diesel has a LOWER towing capacity by 1150 lbs purely because of radiator cooling capacity. If only there was a wide nose Gladiator. ;)

Nothing like a new IP from Toyota...

Pure deliciousness.

C946AFDB-2417-4FAE-AD8D-A637B49848BE.jpeg
82040827-5DE1-430C-90B6-9446A9B9E853.jpeg
F6320F58-3E58-4E44-9BFE-D379F20B567C.jpeg

According to the ad it looks like it's just the body thats changed.

chassis sandblasted and repainted, current model V8 79 series front guards and bonnet

32hqj4saw6xf17yoan95qsnnb.jpg

If I happened to win the lottery, I'd be taking a chance on getting this here for sure.

Interior? I ordered some about a month ago and they got lost in the 'winter storms' down south...USPS says they're still on their way, but in the meantime he sent out another order on Monday and they're out for delivery today.
They aim to please. 😀

Am I the only one that gets annoyed when they swap out the flat fenders for the newer style front end? Flat fenders like a 40 has so much more style.

Style is subjective.
I've always preferred the wide nose.
Reminds me of a bigger 3rd Gen 4Runner which got me into 4WD rigs and was one of my favorite vehicles owning.

Style is subjective.
Reminds me of a bigger 3rd Gen 4Runner which got me into 4WD rigs and was one of my favorite vehicles owning.
Style is indeed subjective, and I appreciate how Toyota blends the body lines of the trucks they build across the years and models. Initially I preferred the looks of the narrow nose 70 series over the wide nose cruisers, but I have grown fond of the wide body style, and think they resemble 60 series lines more than 80s in side profile. It's interesting how my eye has evolved to see how they all interrelate and I now see the 80 series body contours in my 99 Tacoma. They are all pretty freaking cool.

Style is subjective.
Well I agree style is subjective, I would also say that the Land Cruiser has been progressively loosing style with every model. They originally stood out from the rest of the line up Toyota was producing but each model seemed to blend in more and more with the rest of the vehicles Toyota produced. I don't think the "wide" 70 series are bad looking, but I do see the early Tacoma headlight style being used on them which is kinda "meh". Plus they are still making the new ones, flat fenders not so much.

It's all good though, I get annoyed when people swap Defender front ends on Series Rovers :D

Got some cool mail today courtesy of Rob at @ Odd Iron Offroad. Waiting for gaskets from Toyota and my next day off that doesn't involve a COVID vaccine or snow to install. Already sitting on new seats, seals, and nuts. Will be sending my cores back to Odd Iron in case any 13BT owners are due.

Planning on a new turbo and intercooler situation this summer to stop the smoke! And increase that uphill POWAH. My new commute is a good 30 miles with a 2500' elevation change and the engine has been loving it.

IMG_6187.jpg

Last edited:
I have committed to new paint for the BJ73 today. It is from Spain and had some minor rust perforation that was repaired with only lightweight filler and no rust converter treatment. After a few years it has started to bubble out a little in a few places. I did some repair grinding out the bubbled rust, treating with rust converter, and beginning repair with a waterproof hard polyester resin fiber reinforced filler as a base and only using lightweight filler to smooth it out. It is white which shows dirt terribly. I had excellant results spraying rustoleum white thinned with naptha from a HVLP detail gun doing spot repairs. Zero "orange peel" and no runs, but color is not quite a match. I'm going to go slow and easy doing a panel at a time over the course of a week using "XO rust" which is a enamel similar to rustoleum, but with better adhesion, rust protection, and color match tintable. I'll attempt to match toyota "olive brown" 653. It will show dirt much less, plus it blends in a bit in the woods. I have painted from the first body crease down to the rockers with textured bedliner to hide some imperfect bodywork and make future damage less difficult to blend/repair. I'll paint olive over this. I thought about going satin instead of gloss paint, but I'm going to do gloss. I can knock of the shine with a gray/black pad on a orbital if I decide I want it satin or matte.......I'll post some pics when it's done.

Well I agree style is subjective, I would also say that the Land Cruiser has been progressively loosing style with every model. They originally stood out from the rest of the line up Toyota was producing but each model seemed to blend in more and more with the rest of the vehicles Toyota produced. I don't think the "wide" 70 series are bad looking, but I do see the early Tacoma headlight style being used on them which is kinda "meh". Plus they are still making the new ones, flat fenders not so much.

It's all good though, I get annoyed when people swap Defender front ends on Series Rovers :D

Since we're all in the 70-Series forum, I'd say the 70 stands out among the rest of the Toyota line-up regardless of the classic flat fender or wide nose. You won't mistake a 79/78/77 for anything other than a 70-Series. A pre-facelift 200 can easily be mistaken for a Sequoia from the rear or a 4th Gen 4Runner from the front (or a Honda Pilot).

Since we're all in the 70-Series forum, I'd say the 70 stands out among the rest of the Toyota line-up regardless of the classic flat fender or wide nose. You won't mistake a 79/78/77 for anything other than a 70-Series. A pre-facelift 200 can easily be mistaken for a Sequoia from the rear or a 4th Gen 4Runner from the front (or a Honda Pilot).
Not a day goes by that someone doesn’t want to take a closer look at my 70 Series when I’m in town. I suspect that would not be the case if I was driving a 200 Series or a 4Runner. Even the Jeep guys wave. 😀
As far as the narrow nose / wide nose discussion goes, I think it would be somewhat boring if everyone’s Cruiser looked alike.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go through all the trouble to change a narrow nose to wide nose or have someone do it for me either. The narrow nose has grown on me more and more.

To me, the benefit isn't really there but like Tony said...it is all subjective.

I know a lot of people do it because the front end parts are easily accessible from Canada and such at the moment but it would seem to be cost prohibitive using new off the shelf parts from Toyota.

<snip> but it would seem to be cost prohibitive using new off the shelf parts from Toyota.

That statement kinda applies to anything you do to the truck. :lol:

The "jeep" thing happens to me a lot also but not so much with the HZJ77. It happened a lot more with the PZJ70. I often thought about one of those "Not A Jeep" stickers but there are just too many Jeep owners in Texas that would probably get offended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom