What did you do on your 70 series today? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota OEM plastic parts are typically so resilient. The snorkel tube on my 80 stayed nice and fresh looking in Abu Dhabi, but my snorkel head faded so quickly. And now I'm getting the same deal on my FJ75's snorkel head.

So what did you use for paint?
Nothing special. Just several coats of Krylon flat black.

On the list to order today...new snorkel head, I don't like the safari style one.
Any particular reason you don’t like your current snorkel head?

Any particular reason you don’t like your current snorkel head?

i have an oem snorkel with a an off brand safari style top. It’s not made to fit together, but someone before me did it anyways. Personally I think it sticks up too high and I like the factory style. It doesn’t fit quite right.
I have no idea the effect on how much air volume it will have and if it will matter on a 13bt :D

i have an oem snorkel with a an off brand safari style top. It’s not made to fit together, but someone before me did it anyways. Personally I think it sticks up too high and I like the factory style. It doesn’t fit quite right.
I have no idea the effect on how much air volume it will have and if it will matter on a 13bt :D
I am sure some smart guy (not me) has determined with style (mushroom or forward facing) cap performs the best. Like everything in life, there may be pluses and minuses to each style.

@WarDamnEagle ..... I posted your requested photos here in case anyone else could benefit from them.
(the rubber strips are 18.5” inside to inside)
D10F1F00-C8CB-4CC9-B121-9C04572557FD.jpeg
3FAF9167-B5EF-4EFE-A544-22BA8B5584F4.jpeg

I am sure some smart guy (not me) has determined with style (mushroom or forward facing) cap performs the best. Like everything in life, there may be pluses and minuses to each style.

My completely uneducated hypotheses on volumetric air change and air flow disturbance from a ram style intake to the 70 series mushroom style on a 13BT is that it probably won't matter one bit. It seems it would flow PLENTY of air for a13BT considering they mount that topper to the to VDJ76's and I'm pretty positive that engine needs a bit more air than the 13bt. :D

After billowing plumes of exhaust when cold-starting the 75 when temps have dipped into the 30s, I installed one of these in the lower radiator hose. We had just north of freezing temps last night, so I plugged it in for about two hours this morning and the Cruiser fired right up. No smoke, no sputtering down the block, it blew hot air immediately and aside from letting the gear oil warm up a bit drove like I had just finished driving it. Highly recommended. I'm going to get a timer and have it run each morning from 6-8am.

My hope is I'll be able to run this off our 1200W Renogy / Sine Wave home battery when camping too, since most of our spots are at 10,000'. Nothing ruins peace and quiet like rough cold starts. I think if this is a 500w device we'll be able to run it for 1.5 hours to help out without draining the house battery (which charges right back up once the truck is on anyway).

View attachment 2450238
Which one did you get? I've not looked at my hoses yet to determine their size, was thinking 1.75" but not sure. I was going to get a block heater, to put in place of one of the freeze plugs, but it looks like a PIA to get it installed with the engine in the vehicle. I tried a magnet-oil pan heater last year, that was a waste of money, it did nothing for cold-starts.

I like the idea of plugging it in to the inverter, let me know how that goes, I've been harassed the last few ski seasons by people following me down from the hill as the truck won't warm up when not under load and if you're following me, it's not pleasant. Maybe I could find a placed to plug in in the ski lot somewhere, if not the inverter might do the trick.

Last edited:
@WarDamnEagle ..... I posted your requested photos here in case anyone else could benefit from them.
(the rubber strips are 18.5” inside to inside)

Thanks! Maybe I'm being a little dense today but you say 18.5" inside to inside but the tape is showing 18.5" over the center line of the bracket. Maybe that's just a coincidence? I'm pretty sure you aren't saying it's 18.5" from the center of the bracket to the pad as that would imply a 40"+ diameter tire.

I marked up a photo that I took last year of a 79 but wasn't thinking about taking measurements at the time. Forgive the crude iPad markup but to be clear, you are saying there is 18.5" in between the pads as I've shown or are you saying 18.5" from the centerline of the inside screws? Either would seem to work with the tires. I have the OEM pads; I assume the pads that you are showing are the same size? Sorry for all the questions but when I start drilling for nutserts I want to be as close as possible. Again; thanks.

1604051309647.jpeg

Thanks! Maybe I'm being a little dense today but you say 18.5" inside to inside but the tape is showing 18.5" over the center line of the bracket. Maybe that's just a coincidence? I'm pretty sure you aren't saying it's 18.5" from the center of the bracket to the pad as that would imply a 40"+ diameter tire.

I marked up a photo that I took last year of a 79 but wasn't thinking about taking measurements at the time. Forgive the crude iPad markup but to be clear, you are saying there is 18.5" in between the pads as I've shown or are you saying 18.5" from the centerline of the inside screws? Either would seem to work with the tires. I have the OEM pads; I assume the pads that you are showing are the same size? Sorry for all the questions but when I start drilling for nutserts I want to be as close as possible. Again; thanks.

View attachment 2481304
Just a coincidence. The 18.5” is based on the rubber tabs.

Which one did you get? I've not looked at my hoses yet to determine their size, was thinking 1.75" but not sure. I was going to get a block heater, to put in place of one of the freeze plugs, but it looks like a PIA to get it installed with the engine in the vehicle. I tried a magnet-oil pan heater last year, that was a waste of money, it did nothing for cold-starts.

I like the idea of plugging it in to the inverter, let me know how that goes, I've been harassed the last few ski seasons by people following me down from the hill as the truck won't warm up when not under load and if you're following me, it's not pleasant. Maybe I could find a placed to plug in in the ski lot somewhere, if not the inverter might do the trick.

I got the 1.5" for the lower radiator hose (also bought a new terrain tamer hose to cut). I usually plug it in when I wake up in the morning and let it run for two hours. It's been 10º at night here this week and it would fire right up without smoke. Just gotta take it easy as the gear oil warms up in everything else.

Unfortunately the National Luna battery pack I have limits the Pure Sine Wave inverters to 600w so the heater tripped the fuse every time. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom