What did you do on your 70 series today? (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Retreads are great.....as long as functionality, durability, predictability and safety, are not your concerns.

I'd consider retreads only if that was the only choice I had.

Retreads are great.....as long as functionality, durability, predictability and safety, are not your concerns.

Dan, Obviously you’re not an “animal rights“ kinda guy. Without retreads we wouldn’t have “road gators” and driving along the interstate highways would be so boring. 😊
EE57D267-DB09-40FE-9DBD-105560576A4C.jpeg

Snow! Exactly what we needed in Colorado.
I drove 180 miles on 2 lanes and interstate (truckers!!! ) pretty much in 2wd on my mud terrains. Very impressed with the Yokohama mud terrains.

I was completely unimpressed with the wipers however...time to search on them...they are weak, but seemingly more powerful than the Toyota H diesel :lol:

AE6F5A7A-A0CD-4B81-9EDD-0A08CB1E6E20.jpeg

E3D24946-6CAC-4031-B1FB-2069A456603E.jpeg

If I was putting them on my expensive newer primary highway vehicle and didn't do any research into "modern retreads" I would agree with you. The retread process is supposedly different now from the old recaps of the 60's and 70's. The load, heat, mileage, and extent to which tires are worn out before replaced on a 18wheeler(especially the trailer) running recaps is not comparable to the conditions of use for a light truck/SUV tire. Most people don't run tires on their SUV's till the cords show or they come apart.
All the blowouts in my life have been at highway speed on straight roads. It's never been a scary experience for me. If I did alot of highway driving on curvy mountain roads perhaps I'd be more afraid. Based on my experience, research, and intended use the Extra grips do fine for me and I continue to be impressed in contradiction to what people say about retreads.
The only absolute negative thing I can say about them at this point is that thin extra rubber that squeezes out between joints where the retread is molded to the core creates some extra road noise.

Snow! Exactly what we needed in Colorado.
I drove 180 miles on 2 lanes and interstate (truckers!!! ) pretty much in 2wd on my mud terrains. Very impressed with the Yokohama mud terrains.

I was completely unimpressed with the wipers however...time to search on them...they are weak, but seemingly more powerful than the Toyota H diesel :lol:

Since you mentioned, I've a thing for wipers and being able to see without smears. 400+hrs of seasonal weekend driving to Tahoe previously made it a priority.

I found and bought a bunch of adapters for RHD vehicles to leverage LHD wipers. wink wink.

Send me your address for a set.

Since you mentioned, I've a thing for wipers and being able to see without smears. 400+hrs of seasonal weekend driving to Tahoe previously made it a priority.

I found and bought a bunch of adapters for RHD vehicles to leverage LHD wipers. wink wink.

Send me your address for a set.

Awesome! Thanks PM sent.

The wiper motor might be tired too. I bought a new OEM motor but haven't gotten a chance to replace it yet. Looks like the wiper motor for a 1987 7x is out of production and the replacement requires splicing the wires which shouldn't be too hard.

Yeah, well it's still true. I have had several sets of those s***ty tires and I am truly embarrased to admit that it took me that long to figure out how bad they are. :meh:
Tread separations, tire-pulling, Vibrations, cracking, balance issues....... ad nauseam.

Oh, you can't wear them out. Which is one reason they suck. It makes it miserable while you wait to a point where you can defend replacing them.
Funny enough, I was talking with my tire guy the other day about BFGs....and something came up with how bad they used to be. He said they had huge issues with balancing and vibrations......some of them just couldn't be balanced and would be warrantied out as defective. He said that changed though...they have gotten a lot better. Very rare for them to have warranty issues these days. Not sure what they changed.

The pines in the photos are
084E3FA9-2986-4E5F-A800-D23BA134B84B.jpeg
the largest stand of old-growth longleaf pines, some up to 500 years old, in North America.

Funny enough, I was talking with my tire guy the other day about BFGs....and something came up with how bad they used to be. He said they had huge issues with balancing and vibrations......some of them just couldn't be balanced and would be warrantied out as defective. He said that changed though...they have gotten a lot better. Very rare for them to have warranty issues these days. Not sure what they changed.

Yep, I did a ton of research before buying and I found the same. I think the re-design was ~5 years ago. The rubber formulation was also changed which increased the severe snow performance significantly - a big perk for me here in CO. I love them so far and I’ll be testing them on the slick stuff soon.

Do they periodically fill in the roads? Elevation of the road relative to surrounding ground seems higher in the later pics...
The roads through the plantations don’t see a lot of traffic but the county does on occasion “pull the ditches“ which as it sounds deepens the ditches and cuts the road banks. The dirt that is “pulled” from the ditches is scattered across the roads to aid drainage. Although the ditches are still there in the bottom photo, they have been somewhat overtaken by vegetation. The 3rd photo (over the hood) shows ditches that were recently pulled.
BC473A79-B9CB-4A98-9E91-04939B16B7E9.jpeg

Last edited:
@Honger .... You and your Land Cruiser
2E9B6522-E628-4A5A-97D4-BBE88B6D51C3.jpeg
can ride for hours on roads just like these.

B18E8E6D-F5EF-4908-9B98-E9D15F3DFF2C.jpeg

You know you’re bored when you start repainting faded snorkel tops. 😊View attachment 2479832
Toyota OEM plastic parts are typically so resilient. The snorkel tube on my 80 stayed nice and fresh looking in Abu Dhabi, but my snorkel head faded so quickly. And now I'm getting the same deal on my FJ75's snorkel head.

So what did you use for paint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom