What did you do on your 70 series today? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After billowing plumes of exhaust when cold-starting the 75 when temps have dipped into the 30s, I installed one of these in the lower radiator hose. We had just north of freezing temps last night, so I plugged it in for about two hours this morning and the Cruiser fired right up. No smoke, no sputtering down the block, it blew hot air immediately and aside from letting the gear oil warm up a bit drove like I had just finished driving it. Highly recommended. I'm going to get a timer and have it run each morning from 6-8am.

My hope is I'll be able to run this off our 1200W Renogy / Sine Wave home battery when camping too, since most of our spots are at 10,000'. Nothing ruins peace and quiet like rough cold starts. I think if this is a 500w device we'll be able to run it for 1.5 hours to help out without draining the house battery (which charges right back up once the truck is on anyway).

View attachment 2450238

I would like to do that as well, I just hate draining/filling the 70 series back up with antifreeze....

Rear bilsteins, and made a Dawes device for boost fun. Testing out the Dawes, will change the hose around and make it look better

View attachment 2449901
View attachment 2449900

Tell me about your tire !

1601424709680.png

I would like to do that as well, I just hate draining/filling the 70 series back up with antifreeze....

Yeah and I JUST replaced the radiator two weeks ago. Fun times.

Had new OME suspension and shocks installed last week.
Front: CS007F, with 60009 Sport Shocks,
Rear: CS017A/B, with 60062 Sport Shocks.
Removed rust and dirt from the frame section and hangers and applied rust protection coating.
Wheelalingment was done today. Will go for inspection by authorities (TÜV) tomorrow.
Keep fingers crossed the inspector approves it (Germany is very strict when it comes to vehicle mods).
Old springs where saggy with just a fingers space between axle and frame bumps. The vehicle came up a real lot now.

20200927_145417.jpg

20200926_141834.jpg

What rust protection coating did you use?

What rust protection coating did you use?
The frame is quite good. Just some surface rust. Removed it with a wire brush on drill. 1x rust converter, then 2 layers Brantho Korrux 3in1.
That stuff is awesome. It takes long to fully set, though. It turns into a very ductile coating that is very resilient to scratches and chipping.
It doesn't give a nice surface. When applied with a roller, it gives an orange skin. When painted with a brush, strokes remain. But on frame and underbody it's great.

Next step on the list is the inside of the frame and body cavities . Will use Fluid Film NAS.
That stuff was designed to protect the inside of floating pontoon and riggs in seawater. It has a very high ability to creep into smallest gaps.
It also settles rust patches and drives water and air out of it, causing the rust to slow or stop.
In our open frames, exposed to water and mud, a permanent treatment with molten wax, complex to apply, (eg Sanders) does not sustain anyway.
Renewing this treatment is easy and affordable.

I ordered some Drifta gullwings back in April and they finally showed up last week. I went with the glass option, which I'll take to the window tint shop next week. Install was easy as, just had to do some prep work over where the Aussie owner had cut masking lines for paint with a knife and caused a bit of surface oxidation. Sanded the frame down and painted three coats of POR15 around the lip. After that, install was a cinch (literally). The window frame is sandwiched around a piece of trim and a backing plate. Super smart install. Other brands require you to drill into the body to mount, which seems dumb. I am going to buy shorter black button head bolts though, as Drifta paints the silver hardware and they are about 1/2" too long. I'll cap the nuts with nylon acorn covers too...

TroopyBuild-12.jpg

TroopyBuild-13.jpg

TroopyBuild-14.jpg

TroopyBuild-15.jpg

I was concerned that there would be inadequate brightness. Thankfully not the case.
1E2C0BF2-6BEC-4A54-AAD3-753DCF479E66.jpeg

Apparently not available here in USA which usually means it is a good product but people in California are afraid of it.

Master or POR15 are plenty good too.

Last edited:
I really like the Master silver stuff. I need to buy some more.
I am not careful enough to prep for POR15 properly, so they tell me.

I really like the Master silver stuff. I need to buy some more.
I am not careful enough to prep for POR15 properly, so they tell me.

Ya know, in the past, I've just roughed up the area with heavy grit sanding block, degreased it, and 2x coats of POR15 and it's lasted for years. I'm going to do the wheel wells on the Troopy in prep for winter with POR15 and usually for that I just clean real well and degrease and lay it down thick.

Picked up my roll cage from powder coat before I put the top back on for winter. I spent a while picking the closest color code and finish from what they had. Also pondered for a while over whether or not to go OEM, or black. I’ve seen a few with black roll cages and they look pretty sweet. Pretty glad I went with OEM now.

Before
4356E040-1F20-477E-A65F-B48BDF0746A5.jpeg

9BDEB7D6-0580-466A-93D3-73B62D1EF3AD.jpeg

After

90CCD689-2AC4-4A17-AE74-7EEC93AAD38C.jpeg

0AA27AE0-525B-43A2-9CDA-7E077E0E77BA.jpeg

Color I used (it was gloss so I had them do a clear satin finish to get closer to OEM). Side note, anyone know what the actual OEM color code is for this?

759C1D3C-D041-463E-A54F-EE99F3E97685.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom