What did you do on your 70 series today? (44 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to installing my speaker pods from @c2dfj45. I copied his idea of using 80 series grilles, super happy with the way they turned out.

The PO had 6x9 holes cut into the quarter trim panels already (I probably wouldn't have done that myself), so I found some 6x9 grilles from a Camry that seemed to be a "close-enough" gray. I like the look more than the black covers that came with the JBLs I bought.

Will put some more detailed info into the @c2dfj45 Speaker Pods thread.

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Finally got around to installing my speaker pods from @c2dfj45. I copied his idea of using 80 series grilles, super happy with the way they turned out.

The PO had 6x9 holes cut into the quarter trim panels already (I probably wouldn't have done that myself), so I found some 6x9 grilles from a Camry that seemed to be a "close-enough" gray. I like the look more than the black covers that came with the JBLs I bought.

Will put some more detailed info into the @c2dfj45 Speaker Pods thread.

View attachment 2372739
View attachment 2372746

The pods look great! The OEM 80 grille really looks good.

Dig the rear setup too!

Dropped oil pan and removed pistons on BJ73. 2cnd ring broken on pistons 1,2, and 3. Top ring on 3 pinched/stuck causing failure(80PSI on compression check)...Trying to ID pistons MK1-1 MK 2 etc. with little luck now. Will order pistons, rings, rod bearings in the next few days.

1HDTFT swap is completed and first test drive done , not that much power difference notable right now compared to my 1HZT with intercooler but it does feel a lot smoother and happier 😉

3” exhaust all the way to the back with a magnaflow muffler gives it the right soundtrack.

custom ac lines are planned for today.
C1596A45-3F96-4E1F-891D-F6F3989E0AC7.jpeg
241B3340-0E96-4A04-B64E-940E78F5435E.jpeg
D9F87EBA-93C4-4376-A261-BE25FC2271D7.jpeg

Hello,

Are those GrandTrek AT3?

Just curious.

Juan

Hello,

Are those GrandTrek AT3?

Just curious.

Juan

Yeah but those were the tires coming off. Japanese made Dunlops. 31X10.5X15

Spare was an older Bridgestone tire. All were on the 77 when I got it.

Hello,

Thanks.

I understand both Bridgestone and Dunlop are OEM Toyota.

My 71 had Bridgestone Dueler HTs when I bought it; at some point I did consider Dueler ATs to replace them.

What size tires did you put in your 77?

Juan

I understand both Bridgestone and Dunlop are OEM Toyota.

My 71 had Bridgestone Dueler HTs when I bought it; at some point I did consider Dueler ATs to replace them.

What size tires did you put in your 77?

Bridgestone Dueler and Dunlop are OEM tires on Tundra and Tacoma.

Although the Dunlops being made by Goodyear here in the states is kind of an odd situation now due to a "divorce" between Goodyear and Sumitomo/Falken. Kind of an agreement during the "divorce" that Goodyear will continue to manufacture Dunlops for Sumitomo until Toyota no longer requires them for OEM market such as the Tundra. That is how I understand it anyways.

I ended up going with a 33X10.5X15 since I had the OME lift installed. BFG AT

They did not want to mount it on the OEM 15X7 wheel so I had to fight them a little but they finally caved in. We will see how they hold up.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks .

Nice coincidence. I just put the same tires in Chance, my 73, which has aftermarket 15x7 wheels.

The tire guys installed them, no arguments. They did want me to buy MTs, though, but these are overkill for my intended uses. I stuck to my guns and went with the ATs.

So far, they are holding up. They are really quiet, in my opinion. Chance behaves much better with them. I think your 77 will be the same.

This reminds me that I have yet to write a post about the tire change in this thread, pictures included.

Enjoy your BFGs. I am enjoying mine.

Juan

Last edited:
Much love for Mr. Halle.

Funny you bring up Bruce. I actually met him and shook his hand when he visited the store I worked at and (no offense to him)...my first thought was wow....he is so short in person.

But yeah he ran a tight ship and great business that continues to strive today. He made it a point to shake everyone's hand at every store he got to visit no matter what they do there.

Funny you bring up Bruce. I actually met him and shook his hand when he visited the store I worked at and (no offense to him)...my first thought was wow....he is so short in person.

But yeah he ran a tight ship and great business that continues to strive today. He made it a point to shake everyone's hand at every store he got to visit no matter what they do there.
He was an outstanding person, went above and beyond for his people. I’ve never met him but I known his grand daughters pretty well.

Went up to the CO/NM border in search of trout fishing but got skunked so came back down to the Chama outside Abiquiu and found a chill spot to camp out at. This is the first time my girlfriend had camped in the Troopy since we got it.

Trying to play it safe with pandemic and NM still being locked down despite all the tourists ignoring laws - they especially don't obey the burn bans. I don't understand the mindset of visiting another state and running the risk of burning it all down or ruining it for the locals.

Anyway, no fish but had a couple of fun days on the river. Coming out of a steep and rutted double track, the 75 wouldn't kick out of 4H back to 2H. Tried everything. Rocking it, reversing then shifting, jacked up the front, spun the wheels, pushed it in reverse. It was so badly bound that I had to drop the front driveshaft to get home. Fun times.

Mud-2.jpg

Mud-1.jpg

Mud-2.jpg

Chama-39.jpg

Hello,

After a long delay, I finally moved from 33x12.5x15 MTs to skinny tires with my 73 Series.

My mechanic got me a good deal on BF Goodrich ATs.

20200714_1.JPG

Chance behaves a lot better with these tires. Ride is smoother and quieter. And no more rubbing.

20200714_2.JPG

Juan

Hello,

A milestone of sorts.

A couple weeks ago Chance turned 25, as per the VIN number. Old enough to go to the US.

20200714_3.JPG

Of those 25, five years with me. Working on it and driving it are two of the things that keep me sane.

Time flies when you have fun.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom