What did you do on your 70 series today? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pulled the rear third member on the BJ73 to address what I thought was a worn out pinion bearing and bad seal. Pinion nut was loose. I'm guessing previous owner hit a rock or something and crushed the crushwasher a bit, but then there was slack. I Snugged it down to a better preload, reset backlash from .015 to .007 and installed a new pinion seal. I had some slack in the driveline and a little vibration at highway speed from the pinion wobble. Hopefully she'll be tight and smooth now.............Spartan locker goes in on reassembly tomorrow.

What I did with my 70 series the other day was drive it to work (like most days), but I did hit a milestone:

IMG_7636.JPG

Picked a heck of a day for it, too:

IMG_7638.JPG

Mostly finished my front winch bumper install today. The mounting holes in the bumper were to far forward..
I drilled new ones. The control box would not fit behind the grill so I mounted it on the bumper in front of the winch. Over all I think it came out looking very nice.
885F0F1D-A9E0-4D14-A331-55D1D41083B2.jpeg
B32E366F-4687-4624-9777-DBCCC5452EE6.jpeg
BE22D57C-4271-48F8-B603-FC817F7819D8.jpeg

Are you able to get periodic specific (appropriate part numbers) wiring stuff for your vintage 70? I would love to do the same to mine

Well, I try to keep it all Toyota or supplier group companies when I can; unfortunately most of the connectors are discontinued from Toyota but available from places like Eastern Beaver, etc., in Sumitumo and Yazaki form.

Installed a spartan locker in the rear end. It functions as expected. Jerky if you're on the throttle turning tight on pavement. It will chrip the inside tire accelerating while turning from a stop. Traction is greatly improved....Install was a bit of a puzzle with the Cclip axles and the "spring plunger holding pins" supplied to aid assembly being too long to rotate/fit in the carrier. Had to snip them off short to get it in and rotate around.

Pulled the rear third member on the BJ73 to address what I thought was a worn out pinion bearing and bad seal. Pinion nut was loose. I'm guessing previous owner hit a rock or something and crushed the crushwasher a bit, but then there was slack. I Snugged it down to a better preload, reset backlash from .015 to .007 and installed a new pinion seal. I had some slack in the driveline and a little vibration at highway speed from the pinion wobble. Hopefully she'll be tight and smooth now.............Spartan locker goes in on reassembly tomorrow.
Tightening up the Pinion nut to increase preload/reduce pinion wobble and tightening up the adjusters in the rearend to reduce backlash worked wonders! Driveshaft wobble/vibration is gone. Driveline slack is almost eliminated. Makes it feel like a much newer truck.

Mounted my Auberins EGT gauge into a blank I made for the radio din using leftover black HDPE.

Worked a little more on the bolt on sliders I'm building for my 73. I ran out of gas on a Saturday so I have to wait until Monday to buy more gas to finish welding.

96DC980A-DCD3-4C2E-84F5-6A88D01F40BF.jpeg

New OEM harness clamps to keep things elegant.

11A3DBEC-847A-4078-9EA5-EADC4AB4044A.jpeg

New battery trays and brackets...

D9FB035E-E02B-4BF3-8E59-E7776E02A5E4.jpeg

Using a glow plug relay from later 24v trucks. A more compact form vs. the original. Mounts the same on the battery tray bracket, terminals the same but the connectors are different. Splice and away we go.

46BFC1E2-9FF4-4AC7-A8BA-85250EB63219.jpeg
EF5A4F98-8262-44FC-BFA5-51727E897787.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom