What did you do on your 70 series today?

Pulled the rear third member on the BJ73 to address what I thought was a worn out pinion bearing and bad seal. Pinion nut was loose. I'm guessing previous owner hit a rock or something and crushed the crushwasher a bit, but then there was slack. I Snugged it down to a better preload, reset backlash from .015 to .007 and installed a new pinion seal. I had some slack in the driveline and a little vibration at highway speed from the pinion wobble. Hopefully she'll be tight and smooth now.............Spartan locker goes in on reassembly tomorrow.

Onur

GOLD Star

Are you able to get periodic specific (appropriate part numbers) wiring stuff for your vintage 70? I would love to do the same to mine
Well, I try to keep it all Toyota or supplier group companies when I can; unfortunately most of the connectors are discontinued from Toyota but available from places like Eastern Beaver, etc., in Sumitumo and Yazaki form.

Installed a spartan locker in the rear end. It functions as expected. Jerky if you're on the throttle turning tight on pavement. It will chrip the inside tire accelerating while turning from a stop. Traction is greatly improved....Install was a bit of a puzzle with the Cclip axles and the "spring plunger holding pins" supplied to aid assembly being too long to rotate/fit in the carrier. Had to snip them off short to get it in and rotate around.

Pulled the rear third member on the BJ73 to address what I thought was a worn out pinion bearing and bad seal. Pinion nut was loose. I'm guessing previous owner hit a rock or something and crushed the crushwasher a bit, but then there was slack. I Snugged it down to a better preload, reset backlash from .015 to .007 and installed a new pinion seal. I had some slack in the driveline and a little vibration at highway speed from the pinion wobble. Hopefully she'll be tight and smooth now.............Spartan locker goes in on reassembly tomorrow.
Tightening up the Pinion nut to increase preload/reduce pinion wobble and tightening up the adjusters in the rearend to reduce backlash worked wonders! Driveshaft wobble/vibration is gone. Driveline slack is almost eliminated. Makes it feel like a much newer truck.

Mounted my Auberins EGT gauge into a blank I made for the radio din using leftover black HDPE.

Worked a little more on the bolt on sliders I'm building for my 73. I ran out of gas on a Saturday so I have to wait until Monday to buy more gas to finish welding.

Onur

GOLD Star

96DC980A-DCD3-4C2E-84F5-6A88D01F40BF.jpeg

New OEM harness clamps to keep things elegant.

11A3DBEC-847A-4078-9EA5-EADC4AB4044A.jpeg

New battery trays and brackets...

D9FB035E-E02B-4BF3-8E59-E7776E02A5E4.jpeg

Using a glow plug relay from later 24v trucks. A more compact form vs. the original. Mounts the same on the battery tray bracket, terminals the same but the connectors are different. Splice and away we go.

46BFC1E2-9FF4-4AC7-A8BA-85250EB63219.jpeg
EF5A4F98-8262-44FC-BFA5-51727E897787.jpeg

FJBen

SILVER Star

Dirty and some corrosion on sweet OEM chrome 16s, put a little steel wool and chrome polish and looks all shiny again.

75C5E18C-3E0D-459B-B9B3-CE2C4F68A86C.jpeg

BCA402EF-B2B0-48FD-A81C-3F8885141FF7.jpeg

Also put an amp and sub box in. We now have some thump.

Top Bottom