What did you do on your 70 series today?

hoser

SILVER Star

Finished off the power side of the engine compartment electrical.

Final cable is from a 24v Dyna IIRC. Much nicer than the OEM 1985 unit.

View attachment 2246999
View attachment 2247003
View attachment 2247004
View attachment 2247005
One unsafe aspect of the stock 24v layout is the proximity of the positive terminal to the firewall. An accident or rollover could easily put the positive terminal in contact and cause a fire. At a minimum, I'd install a terminal cover and maybe take some rubber hose, slit it, and install over that protruding seam on the firewall.

Onur

GOLD Star

One unsafe aspect of the stock 24v layout is the proximity of the positive terminal to the firewall. An accident or rollover could easily put the positive terminal in contact and cause a fire. At a minimum, I'd install a terminal cover and maybe take some rubber hose, slit it, and install over that protruding seam on the firewall.
Way ahead of you Les.

Waiting for some fusible link connections and the + terminal at the firewall will be completed.

And protected.

877CC044-FF07-4654-B2CC-75841F4BF579.jpeg

hoser

SILVER Star

Right on! The rubber cover will definitely help but something similar to this could still happen. This was a failed mount but an accident could produce the same results. I have seen a lot of car fires in my time and a 24v, dual battery system would be much more likely to catch fire. I don't think any current production vehicle would have such a layout.

Bashed in a rear window a couple of weeks ago - not entirely a bad thing as on removing the window unit to put in a new pane I found some rust along the bottom of the frame that needed fixing. Years of dirt had collected under the drain holes along the bottom of the sliders & held water. Now I know to give them a blow out or a poke out with a zip-tie before washing the truck.

The great thing about using roof paint on your 'Cruiser is that it comes in a 10L pail, so you can do the whole truck & still have 8L left over for touch ups :cool:

All done. The 'string in the rubber groove' trick I had heard about for getting the window back in worked mint.

Cheers
Clint

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor

Right on! The rubber cover will definitely help but something similar to this could still happen. This was a failed mount but an accident could produce the same results. I have seen a lot of car fires in my time and a 24v, dual battery system would be much more likely to catch fire. I don't think any current production vehicle would have such a layout.
On this note, be careful who you have work on your Cruiser. I have had 24v Cruisers come to me from other shops that didn’t have the batteries locked down. Simple mistake that can have drastic results.

Cheers

Honger

Joel, TLCA #21509
SILVER Star

View attachment 2246118
New OEM harness clamps to keep things elegant.

View attachment 2246119

New battery trays and brackets...

View attachment 2246120

Using a glow plug relay from later 24v trucks. A more compact form vs. the original. Mounts the same on the battery tray bracket, terminals the same but the connectors are different. Splice and away we go.

View attachment 2246121View attachment 2246122
Really bringing the excellence to these improvements @Onur. Looks so well done. You're giving me aspirations for repairs on the Troopy.

Highly recommend Elliot tape for high heat, grease and abrasion areas...

Expensive but worth it. In combination with the OEM Yazaki tape. Pura vida.

View attachment 2246134View attachment 2246135View attachment 2246136View attachment 2246137
Is that Yazaki tape with or without adhesive? I've been using adhesive-less tape on intermediate sections with 3M adhesive tape at the ends to keep things buttoned up. Curious how you're working the Yazaki tape.

Onur

GOLD Star

Really bringing the excellence to these improvements @Onur. Looks so well done. You're giving me aspirations for repairs on the Troopy.

Is that Yazaki tape with or without adhesive? I've been using adhesive-less tape on intermediate sections with 3M adhesive tape at the ends to keep things buttoned up. Curious how you're working the Yazaki tape.
The Yazaki tape is adhesive-based. The Elliot tape is as well. I have some non-adhesive that only adheres to itself but I just don't like working with it in the cold (which it is here in NY).

Transmission on the bj 73 with shifting stiff especially first and second gears. Downshifts difficult requiring double clutch often.I haven't changed tranny gear oil yet so I thought I'd change it. Only 2 and 1/2 quarts drained out of the transmission. I refilled with six and a half quarts of 80w 90 and now shifting is much smoother and I'm happy that my synchronizers aren't shot.
Also found the freon leak in my AC install. Made in China universal line set bought on Amazon one of the fittings did not have deep enough ridges for the rubber tube to grip to underneath the crimp. Going to try to find a factory AC line at the part store tomorrow that has to correct thread. I'll cut the rubber use a brass fitting and four hose clamps to piece it together. .. want to get the bj73 and straight and get out of town to the country house for a little while before this coronavirus gets too bad in our area.
Checked fuel mileage the for the first time. 21mpg in town. Was hoping for a little bit better.

Top Bottom