What are your Soft Top repair solutions for securing window sections. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aloha,
My Factory Soft Top straps have deteriorated or broken off, that I have had for three years.
What are your solutions to repairing these straps, besides taking it to an Upholsterer.
Also, With the straps not lasting long in the sun, what are other options out there for rolling up the window portions and securing it.
F257AFE9-D49A-4464-A19B-7964BE131A5C_1_102_o.jpeg
A651E639-B155-4CC4-AE40-9E0C0E1EB458_1_102_o.jpeg
This is before it broke. I'm wondering if I should use snaps or velcro? Any Suggestions.
506781C4-08D4-4AC4-89C5-E109C49E1DF3_1_105_c.jpeg

UV light breaks down Nylon material and thread. Polyester might be a better choice, it is more resistant to UV. but will eventually break down. I think Sailrite might offer something better than bonded polyester thread and material. As for repair, you probably need to go an upholstery shop, or get a heavy duty sewing machine that can handle heavy thread and material or try to do it by hand.

UV light breaks down Nylon material and thread. Polyester might be a better choice, it is more resistant to UV. but will eventually break down. I think Sailrite might offer something better than bonded polyester thread and material. As for repair, you probably need to go an upholstery shop, or get a heavy duty sewing machine that can handle heavy thread and material or try to do it by hand.
Thank you for the response. I'll look into sailrite.
I was hoping or wondering if others on here had other solutions like using snaps or what ever it's called to secure the windows.

To put snaps in you need the tools and you only get one chance to do it right. To replace the strap you just need a needle & thread.

Have you consider leather strap. Stainless hardware and leather from say Tandy Leather. Crafty people work and shop there - I bet you could such a person if you have a local store.

Seam seal/thread lock a few stitches away from the strap on both sides. Let it dry at least overnight. Then just cut the stitches that hold the strap. Remove the broken strap section, put in your new strap with some glue like ShoeGoo and then: tape, binder clip, hemostat etc. the new strap in place with the fabric smoothed out, folded under and in place just like it was. Let the glue dry, now you can sew it in place. Speedy Stitcher or use the double needle technique. Two people can make easy depending on the location (one on the inside and one on the outside. Tandy artificial sinew is really strong stuff or 8 strands of dental floss (non waxed) is what I would use. Then treat the new stitching with seam sealer/thread locker. A very light coat of mink oil on the leather to feed it, then work in with some heat SnoSeal to protect it.

If you look close this was sewn with (Tandy artificial sinew) using a speedy stitcher but is a true locking stitch as produced by the double needle method because I rethread the needle at every stitch (my own technique). It is also back stitched at both ends. There is about 2 feet of harvestable sinew in that stitching - more than enough to have the makings of a bow drill for fire making when the lighter dies. Oh and the long seam is treated with jeweler's rouge so you strop your sharp knife and keep it that way.
lighter jacket 001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom