Soft top or Hardtop? Or maybe both (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m currently working on a 74 fj40 and recently picked up real steel soft top bows and a hardtop roof cap from a local member. I already have the rest of the hardtop pieces. I’ve been going back and forth on whether to run a hardtop or soft top. I really like the look of the hardtop but like the functionality of the soft top.
Also I don’t have a place to store the hardtop once removed unless I completely disassemble it and I feel like once it’s on it’s not coming off. I live in Ga and can gets pretty hot here. Anyone that has gone through this or any insight on one or the other I would appreciate it. Thanks

I keep tools, parts and stuff in my hardtop 40. Yea a coat hanger or a brick and you are in but at least that
's some deterrent

I have a ‘74 FST and put a hard top on it. When I got it there were no soft doors or bows so either way I was starting from scratch. If I had to do it over I would go with the versatility of a soft top. I actually imported the Aussie sliding hard top side windows because my top has the fixed side windows (from a ‘71) and I was in desperate need of air flow here in TX. Not an issue with a soft top. If you have a garage and somewhere safe to park it out of the elements I’d do soft top.

Last edited:
I have a ‘74 FST and put a hard top on it. When I got it there were no soft doors or bows so either way I was starting from scratch. If I had to do it over I would go with the versatility of a soft top. I actually imported the Aussie sliding hard top side windows because my top has the fixed side windows (from a ‘71) and I was in desperate need of air flow here in TX. No issue with a soft top. If you have a garage and somewhere safe to park it out of the elements I’d do soft top.
It will be in the garage

It kind of depends on where you live. If its really hot or cold a hard top, with AC, makes more sense. If it’s temperate, a soft top is definitely better. It’s 9 degrees right now where I live but will be 110 degrees in August. I have both styles but swapping them is more of a pain than it sounds like.

It kind of depends on where you live. If its really hot or cold a hard top, with AC, makes more sense. If it’s temperate, a soft top is definitely better. It’s 9 degrees right now where I live but will be 110 degrees in August. I have both styles but swapping them is more of a pain than it sounds like.
Yeah it doesn’t get that cold here. Also I don’t have A/C and that’s where the soft top would come in handy. And yeah I can see it being a pain to swap it out.

To speak to the removal of the hard top it’s definitely do-able, but it’s a fair amount of work. And storage is an issue when it’s off. So much so that I knew I was going to Colorado in August last year so I never took the hard top off for the summer. And as a result didn’t drive it much because it was our hottest of record.

Also depends on if this is your daily driver or just a toy to run around in. You already have all the pieces for a hard top and the bows for the soft top so why not buy the soft top and run it while you restore the hard top. You will know pretty quickly if you like the soft top and these rigs are fantastic for driving with all the soft windows rolled up. You will likely end up keeping both, if you do prefer one over the other either one would sell very quickly and for a nice price.

To speak to the removal of the hard top it’s definitely do-able, but it’s a fair amount of work. And storage is an issue when it’s off. So much so that I knew I was going to Colorado in August last year so I never took the hard top off for the summer. And as a result didn’t drive it much because it was our hottest of record.
Good point about no driving it much during the summer with the heat.

I bought 2 bicycle storage hooks and could lift the top straight up after unbolting it. It was a small garage so had to store In the floor.
I would do it again but with beefier pulleys/rope.
With the pulleys, it became a one-man job.
But the biggest pain was lining up those posts in the pillars to get it back on.
I will never forget getting caught in a wicked hail storm above 9000' with just the bikini top and half doors😬🥶

Also depends on if this is your daily driver or just a toy to run around in. You already have all the pieces for a hard top and the bows for the soft top so why not buy the soft top and run it while you restore the hard top. You will know pretty quickly if you like the soft top and these rigs are fantastic for driving with all the soft windows rolled up. You will likely end up keeping both, if you do prefer one over the other either one would sell very quickly and for a nice price.
Yeah that’s what I like the most about the soft top to get the air flowing. I’ll definitely keep the hardtop regardless since they are so hard to come by.

I bought 2 bicycle storage hooks and could lift the top straight up after unbolting it. It was a small garage so had to store In the floor.
I would do it again but with beefier pulleys/rope.
With the pulleys, it became a one-man job.
But the biggest pain was lining up those posts in the pillars to get it back on.
I will never forget getting caught in a wicked hail storm above 9000' with just the bikini top and half doors😬🥶
I’m sure that was a very pleasant experience. Thanks for the reply

Just know it a soft top on after being topless for last 6-7 years (summer only, garaged). It’s worth the effort for the occasional time I need it, but I feel claustrophobic after being topless for so long. I imagine I’ll pull it when the weather warms up- June?

Something to keep in mind if planning on a OEM style top unless your planning of factory soft doors be sure the B pillar bow is angled for hard doors. Advantage of factory soft door with soft door hinges they are simple to remove. Run soft tops and hard top on my 68 over the years.
001029.jpg
001018.jpg
001011.jpg
IMG_20190822_190135850.jpg

Something to keep in mind if planning on a OEM style top unless your planning of factory soft doors be sure the B pillar bow is angled for hard doors. Advantage of factory soft door with soft door hinges they are simple to remove. Run soft tops and hard top on my 68 over the years.
View attachment 3532944View attachment 3532945View attachment 3532946View attachment 3532947
Thanks! I’ve seen posts about having to bend them. I ended up mounting the drivers side. The door shut all the way but had a good side gap in the middle.

IMG_1534.jpeg

IMG_1532.jpeg

IMG_1531.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom