Soft top or Hardtop? Or maybe both (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 1975 has a refinished hardtop that sits in the garage. I had it on once just to fit everything. I run that rig topless. I picked up this 1970, sold the hardtop and bought a soft top. The top folds up nicely and the bows are easy to store. I have not spent anytime driving the soft top yet. Its a Troa tan top, painted bows tan.

IMG_1837.jpeg

IMG_1838.jpeg

My 1975 has a refinished hardtop that sits in the garage. I had it on once just to fit everything. I run that rig topless. I picked up this 1970, sold the hardtop and bought a soft top. The top folds up nicely and the bows are easy to store. I have not spent anytime driving the soft top yet. Its a Troa tan top, painted bows tan.

View attachment 3532997

View attachment 3532998
Looks good

I've thought about doing tube or no doors with a hardtop. Seems like it would bring at least some freedom without as much work (using quick hinges).

I miss my jeeps soft top for a summer evening around town or a day in the mountains, but everything else favors the hardtop imo.

I've thought about doing tube or no doors with a hardtop. Seems like it would bring at least some freedom without as much work (using quick hinges).

I have done that, in summers that I have not had access to my hard top lift system. Much cooler than with the doors on and the windows down.

IMG_1882.JPG

I have thought about leaving the lift gate up as well to get the air flowing or is that a bad idea?

Couldn't say - I have ambulance doors on mine, so not an option to leave them open. But I do have the tip-out rear vent windows in the sides of my hard top, and with these open the flow-through ventilation is pretty good.

Couldn't say - I have ambulance doors on mine, so not an option to leave them open. But I do have the tip-out rear vent windows in the sides of my hard top, and with these open the flow-through ventilation is pretty good.
I have to say I do love the look of the hardtop far more than the soft but getting the air flowing will be one of the main concerns. I believe leaving the gate open is fine. I do like the looks of the soft top when the windows are up but don’t care for it when down.

Your lift gate is heavy and leaving it up will be a problem with the lift arms. I’m not sure they will hold the lift gate up as you run down the road. Those springs get weak after 40+ years.

Your lift gate is heavy and leaving it up will be a problem with the lift arms. I’m not sure they will hold the lift gate up as you run down the road. Those springs get weak after 40+ years.
I have a 4plus carrier and will be running 35s so I could rest it on the spare tire.

IMG_0902.jpeg

I didn’t trust the liftgate struts when it was not in motion. I certainly wouldn’t trust him going down the road. While I’m sure the spare tire will hold the weight of the lift hatch, I’m pretty sure that you’re not gonna be happy with what it does to the hatch itself.

Last edited:
I didn’t trust the liftgate struts when it was not in motion. I certainly wouldn’t trust him going down the road. While I’m sure the spare tire will hold the weight of the lift hatch, I’m pretty sure that you’re not gonna be happy with what it does to the hatch itself.
Yeah I was thinking it’s going to bounce around. Maybe I could strap it down and put something between it.

Yeah I was thinking it’s going to bounce around. Maybe I could strap it down and put something between it.
Your highlift handle looks like it’s gonna be suspect as well for damaging the lift hatch

Between the spare tire and my cooler rack (similar to yours) you can’t really see my tailgate area. I built a toolbox that sits behind the rear seat and I do not have my barn doors on at this time (or for the last several years). If you were looking for airflow, you could achieve that by not having your barn doors in place, it wouldn’t be as secure, but with all the things you have on your bumper, it wouldn’t be totally obvious either. Not everyone’s way, but it works for me.
IMG_6238.jpeg

Your highlift handle looks like it’s gonna be suspect as well for damaging the lift hatch

Between the spare tire and my cooler rack (similar to yours) you can’t really see my tailgate area. I built a toolbox that sits behind the rear seat and I do not have my barn doors on at this time (or for the last several years). If you were looking for airflow, you could achieve that by not having your barn doors in place, it wouldn’t be as secure, but with all the things you have on your bumper, it wouldn’t be totally obvious either. Not everyone’s way, but it works for me.View attachment 3533934
Good point! I wasn’t thinking about the high lift

It sounds to me like you need to buy a soft top. I think you’d be surprised how much you would like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom