Weber Tuniing Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It is unlikely that two different carbs would both cause lean misfiring and backfiring through the carb. Rule out other fundamental sources, like valve adjustment, timing and stuck centrifugal advance.

It is unlikely that two different carbs would both cause lean misfiring and backfiring through the carb. Rule out other fundamental sources, like valve adjustment, timing and stuck centrifugal advance.

I Agree. Removed the distributor and advance is free, clean and moving. I pulled the plugs and found some fowled black soot on 2 and 5. I will adjust valve lash again (I had just re-assembled a few months ago and the valve lash was perfect. Doesn't mean that it didn't loosen). Will do that this weekend. It runs at Idle very quiet... Thanks.

Boaf

After my new pistons (.10 over), rings and valve seals I did not run a compression test. I will do that this weekend. Today, I'll warm it up and do a valve lash adjustment...

Hey @Pin_Head

Valve lash adjusted. Some sloppiness but not overly bad. Started and it's a bit quieter. Will go for a ride soon and see what happens. Compression this weekend.

Just came back from a ride. Again, same story. Not sure what to think anymore other than go back to the distributor. I know there was an "18 degree" stamped on the one side of the cam. Should I switch the cam in the other direction just to eliminate that as an issue (if that even matters)?

At a loss here.

Thanks

Boaf

Last edited:
@Pin_Head @Dizzy

• Attached are photos of my plugs 1 through 6. They are black, some tan.
  • I am running 45's in my Idle jets (did not look further down to the Main Jets)

Also went to confirm my timing. I know for a fact it was Spot on the BB. Yet when I started it, the BB was no where in site (with vacuum disconnected and connected . In fact, when I would rotate the Dizzy Clockwise to bring the BB back to the window, it would stall, no run. Push it towards the oil filter, Advances away from the BB. Hmmm backfire and a lot of play. Let me know what your thoughts are on that.

So lined up TDC., and my rotor is on Plug 1. Started and same thing. Something is not right in Dizzy town. There is alot of play. I tried to attach a movie but cannot. From Rotor positioned on #1, (12:00 O'Clock position), I can move the rotor to 2:00 O'clock or more (turning clockwise). Maybe jumped a tooth when my car lost fuel pump and backfired... But I re-set TDC and on 1.

So maybe tomorrow I will align the flywheel at BB and install the dizzy on 1.

Boaf

Plugs.jpg

I drove 15 miles after I had cleaned them and re-gapped. They were black when re-installed but no gunk on them, Left to right is 6 through 1 cylinder. This is not right...

Boaf

Well, your idle jet suggests that the carb isn't necessarily jetted properly for your 2F at Pennsylvania altitude.

The car came from Florida, to NY to PA...Should the Idle jets be larger? When the car is idling and I loosen the idle jets, the car smooths out significantly.

Jets get smaller at higher altitude, but, according to the table (not an O2 sensor) a 45 would be for my altitude or above. If nothing else, it suggests looking further. However, I'd have an air horn / bowl gasket ready in the event that it is stuck in place.

Jets get smaller at higher altitude, but, according to the table (not an O2 sensor) a 45 would be for my altitude or above. If nothing else, it suggests looking further. However, I'd have an air horn / bowl gasket ready in the event that it is stuck in place.
So a 60 Idle jet sounds about right for 194 foot above sea level...

If your timing is inconsistent, your centrifugal advance may be sticking. Clean and lube and try again.

Will do. Removing, lube and will re-install on the BB. Thanks. Will re-post tomorrow.

Boaf

Recently purchased my 1976 2F. It came with a 32/36 and ran poorly. Similar symptoms to yours. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb with marginal improvement. Plugs improved it a little more. Timing solved the problem to 95% perfect. Not on the BB but a little advanced when timing with vacuum disconnected and plugged. Turning the distributor (HEI) about 4* counter clockwise seemed to be the sweet spot. Don’t know why, but it solved the backfire & mid throttle stumble. It still doesn’t like me to totally mash the pedal, but a good moderate throttle press is tolerated nicely and the rig accelerates away.

Boaf, do you recall if the pistons used in the rebuilt 2F were domed or flat top? Also wondering if the head was open or closed chamber?

Also, I recalled FJ40Jim mention NGK BPR4EY is a hotter plug. He’s mentioned W14EXR-U is the ND equivalent. Might be worth a try at some point.

Plugs are carbon fouled. Could be normal w/ new engine break in and burning off assembly lube. Install new set of W14EXR-U or BPR4EY (hottest numbers available) and see how they look......

...........Focus on the important stuff: getting the cold BPR5's replaced with the correct BPR4s............
Then drive it hard for a while & re-check plugs.

Recently purchased my 1976 2F. It came with a 32/36 and ran poorly. Similar symptoms to yours. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb with marginal improvement. Plugs improved it a little more. Timing solved the problem to 95% perfect. Not on the BB but a little advanced when timing with vacuum disconnected and plugged. Turning the distributor (HEI) about 4* counter clockwise seemed to be the sweet spot. Don’t know why, but it solved the backfire & mid throttle stumble. It still doesn’t like me to totally mash the pedal, but a good moderate throttle press is tolerated nicely and the rig accelerates away.

You might want to pull some plugs and look for evidence of lean or rich condition as well. You will have a good baseline reading because they are new. Lean condition is hard on valves. These 32/36s are rarely the best out of the box.

Are you running vacuum from the carb to the HEI?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom