FJ40 Weber Carb starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought an FJ 40 as a retirement project, I have yet to figure out how to retire so I’m starting on it anyway.

Here is my issue. It has the stock F2, with a Weber carb on it. I added the Man a Fre adapter so I can run a stock air cleaner. Once it starts, it runs great! Problem is it takes multiple attempts to start cold. Warm boom! Cranks great! A spray of carb cleaner starts great. My question is should I replace the mech pump with a Carter 4 psi electric pump? Oh, problem was there before I added the man a fre adapter, so we can rule that out.

Ready, set….opine…..

I'm sure that you will get a multitude of opinions... Just my 2 cents: You may want to consider going back to a stock setup. You could acquire a used Aisin carb and a rebuild kit; or some folks have had good luck with the knock offs. I would stick with the mechanical fuel pump. Post up some pictures of your rig,.

First pic is before the adapter. I plan on dumping the bumpers and top(spare is already long gone). It’s un molested rust free, although the prior owner did repaint it….with a paint brush. I have a set of FJ Corp wheels and KM3 255 85r 16’s that will be on it by weekend. Pretty sure I’m going to stick with the Weber, I’ve used them on many of the J**ps I have owned.

IMG_3662.jpeg

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

You can put a diode electric pump in line for less than $20. Turn on key - listen to the electric pump clicking; when it stops - step on gas, set the choke take your foot off the gas, engage the starter and it will crank right up. Not a Webber fan either. Do love my Rochester 2 bbl tho and I only run a diode pump.

While I’m not in love with the fact that there is a Webber on my truck, it’s on there until I pony up for a sniper.

Baseline the carb, replace the mechanical fuel pump, replace your fuel filter, set your timing, check/change your plugs (and wires?) and the Webber is just fine.

It has taken some tweaking but it fires right up cold with one quick pump before starting.
I suspect fuel pump or filter.

Nice Rig, a fuel pump rebuild kit is cheap, and gave me some good practice. There was a fuel filter just before my pump that I replaced at the same time as the fuel pump rebuild. the fuel filter was definitely old and crusty.

Fuel pump has nothing to do with starting issues.

Check and make sure that the accelerator pump is functioning and giving you a good prime when you work the pedal. That is the very first thing I look at with the symptoms you mention.

And... throw that carb in the weeds and chuck holly and rochester 2 barrels at it. It makes a great party game for those Saturday afternoon shop gatherings (been there done that... seriously and for real)

Mark...

Fuel pump has nothing to do with starting issues.

Check and make sure that the accelerator pump is functioning and giving you a good prime when you work the pedal. That is the very first thing I look at with the symptoms you mention.

And... throw that carb in the weeds and chuck holly and rochester 2 barrels at it. It makes a great party game for those Saturday afternoon shop gatherings (been there done that... seriously and for real)

Mark...
Is the scoring something along the lines of horseshoes or is there more to it?

Is the scoring something along the lines of horseshoes or is there more to it?
I guess it depends on how many beers there are to go around and how many carbs. :) Having them in the weeds makes it bit more challenging to get a direct hit, but oh so satisfying. ;)

Mark...

I guess it depends on how many beers there are to go around and how many carbs. :) Having them in the weeds makes it bit more challenging to get a direct hit, but oh so satisfying. ;)

Mark...
So only ringers count

So only ringers count
Well, we did not really formalize the rules, But those definitely got the most cheers. :)

Mark...

And... throw that carb in the weeds
Mark did forget to mention some important points. You throw it as far as you can into not just weeds but weeds and undergrowth, or shrubberies. A briar patch is ideal if you have one within range. SHOUT BAD WORDS after it. Cuss like a sailor. If you know some Japanese cuss words, use those now. I will often also stamp my feet and shake my finger in the general direction of it's landing spot.
This should be in the FAQs

Nice machine!
Sniper FI is my vote.
I have never had luck with the weber carbs on the 2F. Too big.

Mark did forget to mention some important points. You throw it as far as you can into not just weeds but weeds and undergrowth, or shrubberies. A briar patch is ideal if you have one within range. SHOUT BAD WORDS after it. Cuss like a sailor. If you know some Japanese cuss words, use those now. I will often also stamp my feet and shake my finger in the general direction of it's landing spot.
This is all very important information, for those not previously initiated or even those that have not had a recent refresher course.

Except now all we know is that a weber is too big for a 2F, or it’s too small. Ambiguity doesn’t help much in scoring in horeshoes, either.

Except now all we know is that a weber is too big for a 2F, or it’s too small. Ambiguity doesn’t help much in scoring in horeshoes, either.
Even the weber 38/38 is corrctly sized for a 22R... not an F/2F

Mark...

Ya know, I think I have accumulated 2 or three webers and at least a couple of hollys on the shelf since the last time we had a Carb Throw here. Might have to host another one once the snow melts off.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom