Very stiff clutch pedal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I have had my 74 FJ for a few months now. Since I purchased it I have been dealing with a very stiff clutch pedal. It was barely driven for a year or two before I purchased it so I hoped it would loosen up after driving it a while. That hasnt happened so Im wondering if there are common causes of this on an FJ.

I also experience some grinding when shifting to 3rd or 4th. Never 1st or 2nd tho. I can almost always avoid grinding in 3rd and 4th if I double clutch when shifting. Maybe that is related…

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like it's not fully disengaging for some reason. Maybe gunk in the pipes or a crushed pipe?
Try bleeding it and adjusting to FSM and see if that improves things.

New master and slave cylinders and a new soft line between the two is always a good investment when a rig sits for a long time. That might just solve the problem.

Take the inspection cover off and have someone work the pedal while you look inside the bellhousing.

I have seen a stiff clutch that turned out to be dried grease on the front bearing retainer of the transmission, and another that turned out to be a groove in the bearing retainer that the throwout bearing hub was catching on.

To all:if you find this post informative, consider hitting the like button.

Take the inspection cover off and have someone work the pedal while you look inside the bellhousing.

I have seen a stiff clutch that turned out to be dried grease on the front bearing retainer of the transmission, and another that turned out to be a groove in the bearing retainer that the throwout bearing hub was catching on.

Mark:
I believe that I speak for many when I say that we highly value and very much appreciate your tech wisdom. Thank you for all that you do.

We were all thanked in advance :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom