Clutch Adjustment (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best "Friction Point" or Pedal height to engage the clutch on "71 FJ40?
(And How do you adjust it?).
Was Plowing Snow, accidentally in High range for a bit, and got some smelling and burning.
Seems to still work OK but would like to double check it.

The spec's and procedure are in the Chilton's book and other places. I'm a tall guy, so I set my engagement closer to the floor so my knee isn't in the steering wheel. Big difference between hi and low range you should be able to tell just by rpm's/speed in any gear.

This is fromthe FSM copyright 1974. Idk if earlier models are the same. Set pedal height, pedal freeplay, the adjust the adjustment rod at the slave.

20220711_211038.jpg

Play between the clutch fork and Push Rod Nut on Slave Cylinder at 1/8" (0.125").
Pedal Height adjusted at Master Cylinder Push Road for pedal at 8 1/2+ inch (8.50").

Snow was only 4" and very light. First thought the rig had too much power for light work and I had to ride clutch to slow her down.
We thought the smell was a mouse nest in the heater vent.
Grandson drove it last summer and must of put it in High.
Been Plowin with L. Cruisers on our 1,700 ft. drive + parking areas around the garages for 46 winters.
First plow for the season and was out of practice but I should have realized it right away..
I'm an Old guy (with short legs) so I will blame it on my memory.

Thank you, Plowed again yesterday with no smell. Seems the pedal height for engagement is higher off the floor than last year. Is that good?

I think that means you burnt off some clutch material. Start looking for a new disk and pressure plate. Change the pilot and throw out bearing at the same time. Your old stuff could be good for years.

Thank you, Plowed again yesterday with no smell. Seems the pedal height for engagement is higher off the floor than last year. Is that good?
No, it means that you're shorter this year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom