6/74 Clutch completely destroyed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Out at Anza Borrego 2 weeks ago, coming down a steep hill, I pushed in clutch towards bottom of hill and at the run out, my clutch pedal let go, clutxh tried to engage but ended up absolutely grenading. I was probably do 15mph and it was in 1st gear with Orion tcase in 4wd low. So the torque i assume just shattered the clutch plate. I will attach photos of what i found when I opened the inspection cover. I had the clutch done by a shop years ago as a rsult of clutch fork breaking in half and its never been right, slips some and stinks like hell when crawling... When I got in there today and looked it is a diaphragm PP not 3 finger. Is the the cause of all the engagement issues, smell, etc? As thread says its a June 74 FJ40 so should be 3 finger not diaphragm PP. I am assuming I will also need different fork, pivot, springs etc. Just curious for some feedback on if using a diaphragm PP could have caused this failure or if they just used a garbage clutch plate. Hopefully that gives a decent overview of my issue. Looking when I have someome press clutch pedal it looks like half the diaphragm is broken, for now I am Assuming that is why the clutch reengaged, not hydraulic issue but that remains to be seen. Any thoughts or help appreciated. I removed tranny and tcase 2 yrs ago to do orion tcase. Now hugely regret not doing clutch and eliminating being stuck in desert at night with my kids...

20240302_185911.jpg

20240302_154404.jpg

My 12/'74 FJ55 came with a 3 finger pressure plate. To run the diaphragm style I had to change out just about everything else in the clutch. If your shop used a diaphragm pressure plate and 3 finger throwout bearing, that might be bad, though I've never tried it.

Sad. A stinking clutch means an oily slipping clutch to me. Check/fix the rear main seal on the engine. Might be the input shaft seal of the tranny (could be fluid pumping up from the transfer?).

Thanks for responses. I do believe I had oil on clutch early on from a rear oil pan leak. Regardless once I get in there and determine which flywheelis on it, flat face or lip on it I will know which style PP it should have and will replace with all the correct parts. And might as well do rear main while in there too. Hopefully I can determine if it was a mix of parts or what ultimately caused the complete destruction of the clutch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom