Under hood tool box/? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Prototype #1

It can be a tool box/whatever, with a waterproof latching lid . Or I suppose one could leave the lid off and use as a second battery box? A group 27 will fit with ease.

15.5x9”x8”d

.050 5056 or maybe sheet fibreglass 🤷‍♂️

D876396B-2F0D-42DC-AA6B-853AAA08564E.jpeg

C6EF1459-A709-4044-8B90-DAED327D907F.jpeg

image.jpg

^Impressive amount of RockAuto orders!
Lol, that’s my son, he works with one of the big 3 air cargo companies and he says the magnets constantly fall out of packages on the sorting tables and often finds them in belly baggage compartments and upper cargo deck floor🤦

He gets super excited when he finds the Datsun Zcar ones though!

likely story :D
The only thing I buy from RockAuto is the Phillips 9011 lamps.
Being in Canada shipping can be a killer!
I was shocked just Friday when I went to the dealer for price comparison from online and aftermarket.
All OEM parts for my 5th gen 4Runner was only about $100 more than online T dealers. About $150 more than top aftermarket.

Toyota it is!

Well, looks like this is going to be “not as easy” as I thought!

I’m picking up threaded holes but will be adding 3 nutserts also.
Then there will be hat sections with nutserts that the box bolts will engage.

Pattern needs just a touch up.

image.jpg

I’m too busy with life to play the way I want🤦‍♂️

With 5 vehicles in the driveway, sons, daughters, wife’s and my 2 Toyotas I’m pretty busy.

Anyways more progress

CD98D7E1-6222-4318-AF47-D4B3526890B3.jpeg

4CAA50DE-E089-4A2D-8940-E23F3D063BAE.jpeg

4FD12F89-9E8E-43DA-A3BE-FFE545405749.jpeg

I had something like that in my GM work truck years ago. Left all the spare fluids up front. Seemed like the best place for them.

The wifes 07 4runner (4.7 V8) has spare fluids tucked around things in there, its almost made to fit extra fluids in spaces up front.

I've got dual batteries in mine and a pacbrake air compressor up front, almost no room at all for fluids. Also 6BT and top mount IC, but I would prefer to leave spare fluids up that way and would build the same if I had space.

I like what your doing though, its a good use of space.

Last edited:
Nice work. How are you bending that sheet metal? Any chance of chafing those wires over time?
Thanks, I have sheet metal fabrication gear in my shop. I do aircraft sheet metal repairs as part of my trade.

Wires are not touching, just looks that way.

Good looking work but I am curious why not just use a battery tray. I got a 2nd battery tray in my rig and it holds fluids, a funnel, and rags really well.

Thanks, I have sheet metal fabrication gear in my shop. I do aircraft sheet metal repairs as part of my trade.

Wires are not touching, just looks that way.
Just for the hell of it, love to see what that gear looks like, if you get the chance. :)

Good looking work but I am curious why not just use a battery tray. I got a 2nd battery tray in my rig and it holds fluids, a funnel, and rags really well.
I know the fluids are designed to operate in hot environments, but wonder if there's any chance that long-term storage under hot conditions might (perhaps in combination with the intended (hotter) use) might somehow degrade the fluids? I mean, they could be there for a year or more--then add engine time...

I know the fluids are designed to operate in hot environments, but wonder if there's any chance that long-term storage under hot conditions might (perhaps in combination with the intended (hotter) use) might somehow degrade the fluids? I mean, they could be there for a year or more--then add engine time...
Will not be an issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom