Builds TURBO KIT INSTALL 96 LX450 CXRACING and CUSTOM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@mario65 Could be to early to ask buy...
Using your numbers I come up with roughly $4350 including all the pre turbo work you did. Sounds like you upgraded where you felt the weak points were and put money into a nice turbo. Where do you feel you weak point is now if any going forward?

$350 for SS exhaust sounds like a steal

No I agree I think you have a great setup, but you can't really call it a CX Racing kit. The Precision Turbo alone makes it a much better setup.

I don't think that I saw it mentioned but yes you will definitely want to run plugs that are 2 steps colder since you can't pull ignition timing with boost on the stock computer.

I am not trying to be argumentative but like I mentioned earlier it sounds like you have some hookups and your costs are not comparable to what most would pay.

I know 10psi sounds like a pretty safe number but I would start low and work up especially with the smaller 58mm turbo you are using.

Excited to see how it all works out for you.

Stock to me is my setup, exhaust, fuel pump change, plugs, and shift kit. If I can't hit 10 psi safely ill be surprised. Anywhere close to that will be enough and will be where I stop. Im just trying to get the pig to move swiftly. I don't see it being fast and would never spend the money to make it fast.

Yep for sure the BW turbo's are really great for their price point and with the new CNC wheels are packing a lot of tech and performance. That is why I picked it for the kit. And yeah if someone has the ability to make their own manifold I would definitely go that way over CX as well. Not to mention I would use stock quality wastegates, hoses, lines, fittings, etc. But I guess if you don't really care about quality/longevity and the 80 is just something to play with like an 90's honda, the CX kit is built for exactly that customer and it is kind of how they got started.

The CW racing kit is a very good kit for someone not wanting to spend a lot of money. and doesn't want their truck down for 6 months wasting time trying to buy every pipe and piece to make it work. That Chinese turbo is more than enough for 10 psi and will last a long time at that psi. I didnt want it but that was more preference than need. The manifold, pipes, fittings, IC are all as good as any out there. Is the wastage and blow off valve cheap? Yea but who cares. Its 10 psi. It will do just fine.

What I did is the way to go. I recommend it to anyone. Very inexpensive, fast setup, no major changes to the truck, quality turbo and worst case Ill buy a better blow off valve and waste gate. I was down 2 weeks waiting for parts. 1 more week and im on the road and not writing theoretical posts.

Haha if you think those are as good as any out there, you and I obviously shop in very different places. lol

Their intercoolers have very low pressure drop but have been proven not to cool well.

The manifolds are 400 series stainless which is not recommended for turbo applications. It is much thicker than it used to be but still is not ideal.

Hoses and fittings well, did you use them?

The CW racing kit is a very good kit for someone not wanting to spend a lot of money. and doesn't want their truck down for 6 months wasting time trying to buy every pipe and piece to make it work. That Chinese turbo is more than enough for 10 psi and will last a long time at that psi. I didnt want it but that was more preference than need. The manifold, pipes, fittings, IC are all as good as any out there. Is the wastage and blow off valve cheap? Yea but who cares. Its 10 psi. It will do just fine.

What I did is the way to go. I recommend it to anyone. Very inexpensive, fast setup, no major changes to the truck, quality turbo and worst case Ill buy a better blow off valve and waste gate. I was down 2 weeks waiting for parts. 1 more week and im on the road and not writing theoretical posts.

@mario65 Could be to early to ask buy...
Using your numbers I come up with roughly $4350 including all the pre turbo work you did. Sounds like you upgraded where you felt the weak points were and put money into a nice turbo. Where do you feel you weak point is now if any going forward?

$350 for SS exhaust sounds like a steal
These guys doing the exhaust do a lot of work for us. He does do things as inexpensive as he can for me. Im thinking by the time he makes the DP, puts on 3 bungs, 2 VBands, a high flow CAT and muffler he may have to raise the price. Well see. He's starting on it tomorrow.
Reference changes, I can only say I have to see how the wastegate and BOV do their job. I like everything else so far.

I did the same thing with my 335. A shop called on3 sells a full kit with Chinese parts. I heard the same trash talking for their parts. now it seems after someone ran 9's with their hot parts, everyone is shutting their mouth. With the on3 I bought my own turbo, WG and BOV and the kits been awesome. Hopefully this will do the same.

These guys doing the exhaust do a lot of work for us. He does do things as inexpensive as he can for me. Im thinking by the time he makes the DP, puts on 3 bungs, 2 VBands, a high flow CAT and muffler he may have to raise the price. Well see. He's starting on it tomorrow.
Reference changes, I can only say I have to see how the wastegate and BOV do their job. I like everything else so far.

I did the same thing with my 335. A shop called on3 sells a full kit with Chinese parts. I heard the same trash talking for their parts. now it seems after someone ran 9's with their hot parts, everyone is shutting their mouth. With the on3 I bought my own turbo, WG and BOV and the kits been awesome. Hopefully this will do the same.

Thanks for sharing. :cool: Looking forward to the finished install.
Is this the same turbo you are using ►Precision 5858 DBB
Where are you located?

I’m in Jax fl
Yes that’s the turbo pte 5858
Coming together on the exhaust

1D644A59-8547-4436-ABCB-4BFF29CD3CAD.jpeg

4735BBE5-FA7D-40E2-A5CF-0A7C1430118B.jpeg

CBBA45E9-2F76-4452-A069-107CD0D376AF.jpeg

A few updates exhaust is done. I decided to go with a mandrel to the muffler then bent stainless. I also used a Borla Exhaust. After the extra bands, muffler etc price went up to 750. I thought it was still very fair. The work is very good. I decided to send out the DP and second pipe to get ceramic coated.
While Im waiting for the DP Im stumped with the intake and original air cleaner. It looks ike Id have to have pipes like Wits Ends set up to make it work. I ordered a 135 degree silicone and if it won't work ill go with the polished tub with 4" inlet and outlet I ordered. It does look a very nice piece. It looks like another week. Anxious to get it done but I won't cut corners.

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

Wired up Innovate wideband/boost controller
Figured out the original air cleaner just won't work without a long S pipe. I don't want to do it. The 4" inline air filter looks good and will work well. Ill also be able to put the 10 AN connector on the 90 degree pipe to draw from the catch can.
Still need catch can setup and waiting on hoses and fittings.
Still need 1 reducer 4" to 3" to connect the air cleaner to the safari snorkel.
Still waiting to get pipes back from powder coater.
I think intercooler location won't be a problem.
AC line is wrapped over factory wrap.

t5.jpg

t4.jpg

t3.jpg

t2.jpg

t1.jpg

Nice work.

The only valve I would splurge on is the wastegate. You don't want that to malfunction and give you boost creep.

Those 90 deg bends at the turbo inlet are going to hurt your flow. The air velocity is going to be pretty high too. You want a straight as possible run to the impeller so the air has time to settle down before hitting the 100k rpm blade.

Oh how I miss Florida's lack of care for air quality. I would just cut all the emissions off, swap whatever motor you want in.. good times

Took it for a ride on waste gate 3#. Gets into boost rather quick. Runs great and no leaks. Need to finish PCV and some minor stuff. Heat is a problem. I just drove around the neighborhood a couple of times. Even ceramic coated the MAF line, the silicone line to the waste gate, the cruise cable, and the air cleaner 90's got way too hot. I was hoping to not put a turbo blanket on it and cover the downpipe but it has to be done. Ill have to wrap the lines and cables as well.

I went for a bunch of rides around the neighborhood. Runs really good. Very happy I did it. Sounds awesome sucking through the snorkel. My sons have and have had 80s and 100s and were pretty impressed with the rig. I am looking at adding or changing the fpr to get more fuel in part throttle. I haven’t floored it yet but heavy throttle is much better in the afrs than part light throttle. It’s possible due to the fact the 5858 dbb spools very quick.

Took it for a ride on waste gate 3#. Gets into boost rather quick. Runs great and no leaks. Need to finish PCV and some minor stuff. Heat is a problem. I just drove around the neighborhood a couple of times. Even ceramic coated the MAF line, the silicone line to the waste gate, the cruise cable, and the air cleaner 90's got way too hot. I was hoping to not put a turbo blanket on it and cover the downpipe but it has to be done. Ill have to wrap the lines and cables as well.

Sorry to hear but not surprised local turbocharged guy in Az melted all kinds of parts under the hood. Turbo growing pains thanks for your honesty and info sharing. Consider fender vents, won’t stop the heat but it will get it out the quickest.

What is the reason for avoiding the blanket?

Sorry to hear but not surprised local turbocharged guy in Az melted all kinds of parts under the hood. Turbo growing pains thanks for your honesty and info sharing. Consider fender vents, won’t stop the heat but it will get it out the quickest.

What is the reason for avoiding the blanket?
Heat was just more than I liked. I thought that an expo rig would be running through some water an mud and I didn’t want to have the wrap get wet. There’s no way around it though. I won’t melt anything and heat won’t be a problem. I’m really careful. It’s wrapped and blanketted now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom