Trying To Loosen Alt Belt - Alt Wont Move! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been on this forum for not so long now but its been my go to for any/all questions i have. On more than a few the posts you've made were the most insightful/helpful; answered the questions i didnt even know to ask.

Just got my very first baby a 91' 80. Since I could remember its been my dream. Grew up driving the sequoia, ever since I knew toyota was the way togo and the LandCruiser; I mean come on, not even fair. Which Ever One You Drive.I also should prolly mentioned by now im 23 and know absolutely nothing. Learning as I go, determined to do all the work on it myself. Which is why I find this forum in particular helpful.

Alt Belt's to loose, batteries working to hard and shes gettin to hot. Pop the hood; lets tighten the belt. Now I got the steering one nice and loose (btw decided to just replace it and dayco bent me over). Anyway I loosed up the Alt. and the thing just want move; I mean that thing just wont move.

Question:
Why isnt the Alt moving?

Been on this forum for not so long now but its been my go to for any/all questions i have. On more than a few the posts you've made were the most insightful/helpful; answered the questions i didnt even know to ask.

Just got my very first baby a 91' 80. Since I could remember its been my dream. Grew up driving the sequoia, ever since I knew toyota was the way togo and the LandCruiser; I mean come on, not even fair. Which Ever One You Drive.I also should prolly mentioned by now im 23 and know absolutely nothing. Learning as I go, determined to do all the work on it myself. Which is why I find this forum in particular helpful.

Alt Belt's to loose, batteries working to hard and shes gettin to hot. Pop the hood; lets tighten the belt. Now I got the steering one nice and loose (btw decided to just replace it and dayco bent me over). Anyway I loosed up the Alt. and the thing just want move; I mean that thing just wont move.

Question:
Why isnt the Alt moving?
Loosen pivot bolt underneath and don't forget to tighten when you put things back together.

Loosen pivot bolt underneath and don't forget to tighten when you put things back together.

This, plus loosen the top through bolt too.

Also add some copper or zinc never seize paste to the adjusting bolt before adjusting it.
Good chance its never been lubed, and they strip threads easy after years of adjusting.

Also add some copper or zinc never seize paste to the adjusting bolt before adjusting it.
Good chance its never been lubed, and they strip threads easy after years of adjusting.
Never-seize is your friend. Especially on these old beasts. You don't want to break parts, many of which are NLA.

Yeah saw those helped for the

Thats exactly what it was. Only took me about an hour to realize I should prolly lube her up.

Power went out yesterday so didnt see all these responses till morning. With I saw all yalls help yesterday woulda saved me an hour or too.

@CHOWDER Where in VA are you? A bunch of us CLCC folks are getting together tomorrow AM in Gainesville. Come join us if you're relatively local.

What is the pivot bolt and where is it? All instructions I can find (FSM strikes out again) say to loosen the “lock bolt” on the forward side of the bracket, and the adjustment bolt on the driver side of the alternator. Both are completely loose, alternator won’t budge.

What is the pivot bolt and where is it? All instructions I can find (FSM strikes out again) say to loosen the “lock bolt” on the forward side of the bracket, and the adjustment bolt on the driver side of the alternator. Both are completely loose, alternator won’t budge.
The pivot bolt is on the top left of the alternator. Loosen that and, if it still won't budge, give the alternator a few taps to get it going.

Last edited:
Tried what I think is that bolt. No dice. Block and screwdriver with leverage, no dice. Hammer and breaker bar (lightly) and no dice.

Tried what I think is that bolt. No dice. Block and screwdriver with leverage, no dice. Hammer and breaker bar (lightly) and no dice.

Hit it with some penetrant and let it sit. Probably rusted in place inside the holes. I had to give mine a pretty good whack with the pivot bolt completely removed the first time I took it off.

20211022_173136.jpg

- Slacken of the pivot bolt at the top of alternator.
- Slacken of the bolt going through the threaded adjustment block at the bottom of the alternator.
- Slacken of the adjustment screw/bolt accessed from side of the alternator.

You might need a pry bar against the frame to get the alternator to move.

Is a good idea to replace the adjustment bolt, and the threaded adjustment block.
The tend to get galled badly from being adjusted dry, and caked in dirt/grease paste. Dirty, along with a decent amount of tension on the thread trends to destroy these.

The two together would be >$10.

Apply copious amounts of copper anti-sieze to threads a you reinstall.

@NLXTACY I've thought a few times an ACME thread threaded block and adjuster bolt would work wonders here ;)

Or, I'll just spend the $10 for new OEM next time the threads are trashed :meh: :lol:

Got one of those new fancy adjustment bolt when I got the tune up kit and all other sorts of goodies from you-know-who 😉

But, that pivot bolt you picture is definitely not on my alternator. Some reference above to “below” the alternator. I think I have it solved. We’re about to find out. (Maybe you have a different truck?)

Got one of those new fancy adjustment bolt when I got the tune up kit and all other sorts of goodies from you-know-who 😉

But, that pivot bolt you picture is definitely not on my alternator. Some reference above to “below” the alternator. I think I have it solved. We’re about to find out. (Maybe you have a different truck?)

Yes, the picture is from the 1FZFE

Pics of your engine may help then.

Pic above is standard for 1fz-fe. It's a typical arrangement for other Toyota engines in cruisers too

Got it, managed to fish out where it’s located as referenced in the third-ish reply. Just couldn’t wrap my nugget around which bolt could possibly be holding it fast, just couldn’t see it.

(Engine bay is bone stock, same truck as originally posted)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom