Part number check - belts for 1991 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have some OEM Toyota belts for my 1991 FJ80, but I am having a heck of a time getting the AC belt to work. None of the belt routing diagrams I have show the tensioner pulley for the air conditioner compressor. You can see the idler pulley in the diagram, but it totally leaves out the tensioner just beneath the compressor. How else would you tension the belt, since the compressor, crank, and idler pulley have no movement to them?! I am also having a difficult time getting my alternator belt to work. Someone who knows, please verify I have the correct belts for this application. A/C belt #99332-11180-83. Alternator belt # 90916-02141-77. Thanks for any help.

It looks like you have the right belts. Are they routed like this? (red furthest back on the crank pulley blue middle, Green first)

FJ80BELTS.gif

That diagram doesn't contain everything I have, and my belt just won't reach. It won't even go around what's shown in the picture, let alone the tensioner pulley. I have included a picture of my setup. My middle tensioner (lower IP in the above drawing) is currently missing a pulley. Why does mine have a lower tensioner for the A/C when none is shown in any diagram I can find?
IMG_3477.JPG

That diagram doesn't contain everything I have, and my belt just won't reach. It won't even go around what's shown in the picture, let alone the tensioner pulley. I have included a picture of my setup. My middle tensioner (lower IP in the above drawing) is currently missing a pulley. Why does mine have a lower tensioner for the A/C when none is shown in any diagram I can find?
View attachment 1083303
Exactly what do you mean by, "That diagram doesn't contain everything I have"? That diagram is from a Toyota FSM for a 3FE. What else is there on your motor? The belt routing should be exactly as pictured and there should be no issues, assuming you have the correct belts.
They took some illustrative liberties with the 2 idler pulley positions on the diagram, but the routing is the same.

The adjustment for the big, outer belt is the PS pump and PS idler pulley.
The adjustment for the alternator/water pump belt is the alternator.
The adjustment for the skinny AC belt is the AC idler pulley.

Okay, I understand when you say they "took liberties" with the omission of the A/C tensioner pulley. I must have the wrong belt. There is NO way on earth the belt I have for the A/C is going to go on there.

I am willing to admit when I am wrong, especially when it could help future people looking for information on this. The belt WAS correct, but is a very tight fit. The reason I couldn't get the belt on the pulleys is evident in my photo above. The extended bolt for the power steering idler was preventing the belt from sliding on correctly. I pushed the PS tensioner bolt in, and with some gentle persuasion the belt slipped into place. Now does anyone have any recommendations on properly tensioning the belts? I have always gone by the "feels tight enough" by hand method, but I am thinking maybe I should buy a belt gauge and go by the FSM recommendations. Any thoughts? Thanks for everyone that helped.

IIRC when I did this, I had to slip the belt on with the water pump pulley in the grove and stick it on the water pump. Or something similarly batty, and also remember thinking there is no way...

I am pretty sure tension should be no more than 1/2" deflection over the longest run (in the middle). The gurus can varify this. The power steering pump side, I had to use a pry bar to give me a little extra leverage; dont go crazy but it helps if your doing it yourself.

View attachment 1083303
Hi Izeloz, I have the same setup, can't figure which way the belts go on that small tensioner? Right now the tensioner runs on the inside of the belt, but I thought tensioners always rub on the outside of the belts. Could you post a pic of the belt on that AC tensioner please?
Cheers, Nicholas

Hi Izeloz, I have the same setup, can't figure which way the belts go on that small tensioner? Right now the tensioner runs on the inside of the belt, but I thought tensioners always rub on the outside of the belts. Could you post a pic of the belt on that AC tensioner please?
Cheers, Nicholas
Please look at the picture in post #2 of this thread. It shows the correct belt routing. NOTHING goes on the outside of the belts.
Current Toyota part numbers for the correct belts for the 3F-E engine:
90916-02141-77
90916-02193-77
99332-11180-83

Last edited:
Please look at the picture in post #2 of this thread. It shows the correct belt routing. NOTHING goes on the outside of the belts.
Current Toyota part numbers for the correct belts for the 3F-E engine:
90916-02141-77
90916-02193-77
99332-11180-83
Thanks for the reply Jonheld. I saw the sketch. The power steering belt has a grooved pulley tensioner. The AC tensioner has no groove, so currently my belt runs over the AC pulley and over the small round tensioner which means it comes in contact with the inside of the belt. Is that the way it is suppose to be routed?
Regards, Nicholas

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Jonheld. I saw the sketch. The power steering belt has a grooved pulley tensioner. The AC tensioner has no groove, so currently my belt runs over the AC pulley and over the small round tensioner which means it comes in contact with the inside of the belt. Is that the way it is suppose to be routed?
Regards, Nicholas
I don't know another way to explain this other than looking at the diagram. In the diagram no pulley, no tensioner, nothing, nada, zilch, zero rides on the outside of the belts.
If you have ANYTHING on the outside of ANY belt, then it is routed incorrectly.

I don't know another way to explain this other than looking at the diagram. In the diagram no pulley, no tensioner, nothing, nada, zilch, zero rides on the outside of the belts.
If you have ANYTHING on the outside of ANY belt, then it is routed incorrectly.
Thank you, issue sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom