Truck Trend 6 SUV comparision includes a LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys. The jd powers article I mentioned was about Vehicle Depenability Survey and covered 2002 vehicles over 3 years. Not the initial JD crap.

Also, the 100 has 112 inch wheelbase and so does the G500.

uzj100

I read somewhere the TAHOE had the best JD Power rating for large SUV models after three years. So go figure. It was for a year 2001 Tahoe. The reliability gap is definitely narrowing on Toyota vehicles. They still are tops, but slipping I think. I have a friend who manages a fleet of delivery vehicles. He says the newer Toyotas aren't as good as the older ones. So he looks for older used Toyotas instead of buying new now for his fleet. They put 100,000+ miles a year on them. He knows all the weak spots on every vehicle by now. What will break etc. I've heard the same about quality slipping with Honda. Lots of transmission issues with them. But everyone knows MB reliability sucks!

rule303 said:
I read somewhere the TAHOE had the best JD Power rating for large SUV models after three years. So go figure. It was for a year 2001 Tahoe. The reliability gap is definitely narrowing on Toyota vehicles. They still are tops, but slipping I think. I have a friend who manages a fleet of delivery vehicles. He says the newer Toyotas aren't as good as the older ones. So he looks for older used Toyotas instead of buying new now for his fleet. They put 100,000+ miles a year on them. He knows all the weak spots on every vehicle by now. What will break etc. I've heard the same about quality slipping with Honda. Lots of transmission issues with them. But everyone knows MB reliability sucks!

I think it depends on where the vehicle is built. Example - all of the Toyotas that are now build in the Tahara plant, which is the top rated automotive plant in the world and the most automated. They make the top quality Toyota/Lexus vehicles that are now produced. The other plant that is in Japan that is also high rated, builds LC's. I understand that some of the quality issues have come from the US built and parts sourced vehicles.

This thread is nearly the equivalent of a Civic owner and a Neon owner arguing over which car is better at the track. Answer is, neither. If you want a true race car, you don't buy a Civic or a Neon. That logic works in this scenario. If you want a TRUE, hardcore off-road vehicle, you don't buy a G500 or a 100 series. As far as I'm concerned, if you can count the amount of wheel travel you have using both hands (read this as 10 or less inches), then you are qualified for the mall parking lot and that is about it. Some of us just don't get excited by climbing over watermelon sized rocks and cruising down dirt roads. Cya ladies!

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Way to go Dog. :D

Thanks a bunch:flipoff2: If you post to me, I'm back in:doh:

"I doubt most Jeep owners (save the exception of the Wrangler) take their vehicles off road any more than an Lexus owner."

I agree. Most Liberty and Grand Cherokee's are 2wd, over 50% of those sales are NOT 4wd. Not only that, but these two vehicles are designed for road use, not trail use. Unibody has no business off road, I will believe that until the day I die after seeing my brother-in-law bend his Cherokee in half.

As far as Wranglers go, I went and looked at a dozen or so of them with a friend and only two had any scratches on the underbody. I wouldn't hardly say that most Wrangler owners wheel them.

Bottom line, most 4wd never see dirt. Makes for a ton of good parts vehicles and values in the used market.

DBS311 said:
This thread is nearly the equivalent of a Civic owner and a Neon owner arguing over which car is better at the track. Answer is, neither. If you want a true race car, you don't buy a Civic or a Neon. That logic works in this scenario. If you want a TRUE, hardcore off-road vehicle, you don't buy a G500 or a 100 series. As far as I'm concerned, if you can count the amount of wheel travel you have using both hands (read this as 10 or less inches), then you are qualified for the mall parking lot and that is about it. Some of us just don't get excited by climbing over watermelon sized rocks and cruising down dirt roads. Cya ladies!

I'm new to this off road stuff but this post makes sense. When I buy a 100 series LC, I doubt I would ever take something that fine and also something that is really a street SUV setup for bad weather and some bad roads and beat the crap out of it over tough off road courses. Guess it would also be a money thing, can't afford to beat up a $25K ++ vehicle that I have to drive every day. I think I would be more inclined to use the LC to tow an ATV to locations that would be challanging for the ATV and a lot more involved and fun on a ATV then sitting on my nice leather seats and boncing my expensive fenders off a bunch of rocks. I guess I'm wondering why you guys beat up your LC's, how is that fun? and I can't even imagine beating up a $70K++ G500. Doesn't it all just come down to using the right tool for the right job and I just don't see the LC or even the G500 as the right tool for extreme off road action or rock crawling. But maybe its because I'm just a "TOOL" when it comes to off roading a luxury SUV???

Kanab said:
I'm new to this off road stuff but this post makes sense. When I buy a 100 series LC, I doubt I would ever take something that fine and also something that is really a street SUV setup for bad weather and some bad roads and beat the crap out of it over tough off road courses.

Doesn't it all just come down to using the right tool for the right job and I just don't see the LC or even the G500 as the right tool for extreme off road action or rock crawling. But maybe its because I'm just a "TOOL" when it comes to off roading a luxury SUV???

Street SUV setup... go back to your jeeps and fords and chebbies...

LANDCRUISER is offroad setup.. ok so it's got IFS on your models :p but still... it isn't a street suv...

and right tool for the job... yeah that makes sense... lets buy a 4x4 and not offroad it... how is that the right tool for the job? it was designed and built to be wheeled... why shackle it to the blacktop it's whole life... and why not buy something more street orientated if that's your preference

bad_religion_au said:
Street SUV setup... go back to your jeeps and fords and chebbies...

LANDCRUISER is offroad setup.. ok so it's got IFS on your models :p but still... it isn't a street suv...

and right tool for the job... yeah that makes sense... lets buy a 4x4 and not offroad it... how is that the right tool for the job? it was designed and built to be wheeled... why shackle it to the blacktop it's whole life... and why not buy something more street orientated if that's your preference

I see the value of 4x4 and AWD with all the traction control stuff for every vehicle I would own. 24 inches of snow and freezing cold outside and I don't want to get stuck and freeze to death on some back road, plus the advantage of having a big safe 5400 lb SUV protecting my butt. But the 100 series is not the right tool for rock crawling and extreme off roading. Like I said I can drive a nail with a shovel, but its not the right tool for the job.

Kanab said:
I'm new to this off road stuff but this post makes sense. When I buy a 100 series LC, I doubt I would ever take something that fine and also something that is really a street SUV setup for bad weather and some bad roads and beat the crap out of it over tough off road courses. Guess it would also be a money thing, can't afford to beat up a $25K ++ vehicle that I have to drive every day. I think I would be more inclined to use the LC to tow an ATV to locations that would be challanging for the ATV and a lot more involved and fun on a ATV then sitting on my nice leather seats and boncing my expensive fenders off a bunch of rocks. I guess I'm wondering why you guys beat up your LC's, how is that fun? and I can't even imagine beating up a $70K++ G500. Doesn't it all just come down to using the right tool for the right job and I just don't see the LC or even the G500 as the right tool for extreme off road action or rock crawling. But maybe its because I'm just a "TOOL" when it comes to off roading a luxury SUV???

Buy a car. Seriously. If you think a 100 series is just a street vehicle, why did you buy one?

Come on. Your view of what offroading is--most likely tearing over the terrain like they do on the truck commercials--makes it overtly obvious that you've never been. You have no frame of reference. The 100 series Land Cruiser will never get "beat up" during moderate offroading. Other SUV's, yes. But the 100 series, especially if you remove the running boards, add some bumpers and sliders, will be just fine.

Tell you what, though. Find your local Cruiser club and go out on an outing with them. Once you go, you will be hooked. Guarantee it. Then, you can answer all the "why" questions yourself. If you've never been, though, there's nothing we can really say to convey the experience.

Thai said:
Here is the complete thread:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.php?threadid=11531&pagenumber=4

I did not want to post the whole thing because no would read it.:D TexGX knows about this...no deception at all. Read the WHOLE thing. Please.

Bulldog...nice try.

I would love to hear where TLC80 is superior to G500.

Assumptions...again.:D

Thai, i love the G's, i think they are awesome looking and very capable but i'd be careful with what you say about the 80's. To come and fight with the 100 owners in one thing, but to start the 80 vs. g500 discussion is another. I only wish i was as knowledgable as some older guys on here, go to the 80's section and start this thread, i'd love for some of the heavy hitters to chime in.

Cruiserhead05 said:
Thai, i love the G's, i think they are awesome looking and very capable but i'd be careful with what you say about the 80's. To come and fight with the 100 owners in one thing, but to start the 80 vs. g500 discussion is another. I only wish i was as knowledgable as some older guys on here, go to the 80's section and start this thread, i'd love for some of the heavy hitters to chime in.

Feel free to start one over there. Remember, i have never started a thread in this forum boasting my G500. I am answering false assumptions made by these amazingly blinded TLC100 owners against my G500.

I will be more than happy to particpate in any discussion between TLC80-100 vs. G500. :) Just PM me and show me where the thread is...and i will be there.

shocker said:
Buy a car. Seriously. If you think a 100 series is just a street vehicle, why did you buy one?

Come on. Your view of what offroading is--most likely tearing over the terrain like they do on the truck commercials--makes it overtly obvious that you've never been. You have no frame of reference. The 100 series Land Cruiser will never get "beat up" during moderate offroading. Other SUV's, yes. But the 100 series, especially if you remove the running boards, add some bumpers and sliders, will be just fine.

Tell you what, though. Find your local Cruiser club and go out on an outing with them. Once you go, you will be hooked. Guarantee it. Then, you can answer all the "why" questions yourself. If you've never been, though, there's nothing we can really say to convey the experience.

Ryan, your right I'm going from the pictures that are posted and the debates that go on between members when they discuss what they have done in their 100 series. Doesn't seem like anyone talks about going on nice easy outings, more like Moab or Rubicon, etc. Like on this thread when Thai showed his pic's which did not look like a easy no risk outing, he was ragged on about it being way too easy. I thiink that is why I came to the conclusion that a lot of you guys are using a shovel instead of a hammer to drive nails. Do you see where I might get that impression?

Thai said:
I will be more than happy to particpate in any discussion between TLC80-100 vs. G500. :) Just PM me and show me where the thread is...and i will be there.

Hold on....first off dont dare write TLC80-100. Everyone on this board loves all cruisers, IFS or not but please, please do not put the 80 and 100 in the same boat.

Also, there is no way i am going to go start a stupid 80 vs G thread...thats a waste, we had one a long time ago. Its like politics, no one will get anywhere. Everyone will just get mad.

This is where i wish i had more knowledge but in stock form, they both have boxed frame, live axles, and triple lockers. You may have better travel, i dont even know but with a $700 OME suspension an 80 would be right back up there....even if it lacked in that area.

Look Thai, the only point i will ever make in the G Vs. 80 thread that i know is true and will stand behind is this....Come back to this board and talk all you want when you G has aged and has clocked over 250k miles while still being a daily driver.

DBS311 said:

I don't believe anyone asked you what you consider "Hard Core". We don't come over to the 60 forum telling you your rig is old and ugly. Don't come over here talking smack about the 100, show a little respect please.

There are a lot of us here that find the 100 to be a great vehicle. It gives me the best of both worlds. I have a luxury SUV that I can drive my family around in, drive to work and haul clients around. I can drive my family to South Carolina for vacation with plenty of room and comfort. AND, I can take my son wheeling on the weekend for a day or two. I can cover a lot of challenging trails and at the end of the day, I can drive home with no failures! Then on Monday, I can drive it back to work again. That is why I bought my 100.

Don't hate the 100 because it is not like your 60, it's different and that's OK. I'm glad we have the choice to get different models for different reasons. As far as the G500 is concerned, I doubt you will find any posts that said the G500 sucks. Many might say that Thai is a PITA and is annoying as hell. The thing to keep in mind, for all of you that don't own a 100, is that YOU are coming to us talking smack about OUR vehicles. And you wonder why we step up to defend the 100?

Kanab said:
Ryan, your right I'm going from the pictures that are posted and the debates that go on between members when they discuss what they have done in their 100 series. Doesn't seem like anyone talks about going on nice easy outings, more like Moab or Rubicon, etc. Like on this thread when Thai showed his pic's which did not look like a easy no risk outing, he was ragged on about it being way too easy. I thiink that is why I came to the conclusion that a lot of you guys are using a shovel instead of a hammer to drive nails. Do you see where I might get that impression?

Well, yeah, I kinda understand.

But the trails he posted... if you saw them in real life, you'd know what I mean. If you've never been offroad, it's kind of hard to have perspective on what a vehicle can do easily or not. That trail looked pretty easy, at least in the pictures he posted here.

But most offroad driving happens in low range, less than 10mph. In tight spots you can still leave unharmed with a cautious foot and a good spotter.

shocker said:
Well, yeah, I kinda understand.

But the trails he posted... if you saw them in real life, you'd know what I mean. If you've never been offroad, it's kind of hard to have perspective on what a vehicle can do easily or not. That trail looked pretty easy, at least in the pictures he posted here.

But most offroad driving happens in low range, less than 10mph. In tight spots you can still leave unharmed with a cautious foot and a good spotter.

Well, IF you have been off-roading enough, then you will know that pictures don't do justice to the actual terrain. :rolleyes: And there were plenty of vehicles out there (lifted 4runners, GX, Hummers, etc.) that had a lot trouble. I guess that everyone on this forum is a professional off-roader. If so, then i bow to you guys.:)

So, before assuming things, maybe you should give people the benefit of the doubt.

And when did i talk bad about TLC?? When did i insult it?? I am defending the G500 against false assumptions.

Notice how this forum is so defensive when anyone even comes close to questioning TLC100's off-road prowess. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Kanab said:
I see the value of 4x4 and AWD with all the traction control stuff for every vehicle I would own. 24 inches of snow and freezing cold outside and I don't want to get stuck and freeze to death on some back road, plus the advantage of having a big safe 5400 lb SUV protecting my butt. But the 100 series is not the right tool for rock crawling and extreme off roading. Like I said I can drive a nail with a shovel, but its not the right tool for the job.

Extreme rock crawling....OK, give ya that.
Extreme off-roading....you're selling the 100 WAY TO SHORT.
100K and like new, just click on my website below:

Thai said:
Well, IF you have been off-roading enough, then you will know that pictures don't do justice to the actual terrain. :rolleyes: And there were plenty of vehicles out there (lifted 4runners, GX, Hummers, etc.) that had a lot trouble. I guess that everyone on this forum is a professional off-roader. If so, then i bow to you guys.:)

So, before assuming things, maybe you should give people the benefit of the doubt.

And when did i talk bad about TLC?? When did i insult it?? I am defending the G500 against false assumptions.

God, you are redundant...
loser.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom