Truck Trend 6 SUV comparision includes a LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
From the MB G500 site:

"Suspension Front and rear rigid axles with longitudinal and transverse links, coil springs and gas-pressurized shock absorbers. Front stabilizer bar.

Wheel travel 8.0 in"

You hide behind the 8" spec being FRONT only. If it has more in the rear they'd say and publish the spec...it'd only help sales. It's quite clear.

Shotts...please, be more logical. I only have an anti-roll bar on the front axle. My rear axle does not have one. My RTI ramp clearly shows it.

But in the end, i don't really care much...RTI ramp picture is worth a million words. RTI ramp reflects real-word suspension flex, taking into account front and rear suspension travels.

Thai said:
Shotts...please, be more logical. I only have an anti-roll bar on the front axle. My rear axle does not have one. My RTI ramp clearly shows it.

But in the end, i don't really care much...RTI ramp picture is worth a million words. RTI ramp reflects real-word suspension flex, taking into account front and rear suspension travels.

I'm out of this discussion after seeing these G500 Moab pics:
http://homepage.mac.com/brentholm/PhotoAlbum9.html

Both the G and my 100 lifted a front wheel crossing the crack.
The G has a rear wheel way off the ground due to poor flex. My 100 never lifted a rear wheel.

http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/611082

Thai: Write for the other readers. I'm out and LMAO!

When I first mentioned the G-wagon I hardly meant to get the same old business with Thai started again. Only that the G is in the same class as the 100 unlike the Powerwagon which (although I think is awesome) is not a luxury SUV (neither is the H3 or a LC 40).

I do think that MB's recent slide (plummet) in overall reliability may not mean anything when talking about the G-wagon since it is a long established model and a hold-over from the dinosaur days when MB was a quality leader.

When I first started looking for a quality vehicle to replace my Suburban I looked at used G-wagons at what used to be the US's only G-wagon dealer in Santa Fe. They were some rugged machines but the ones I could afford were really old.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
I'm out of this discussion after seeing these G500 Moab pics:
http://homepage.mac.com/brentholm/PhotoAlbum9.html

Both the G and my 100 lifted a front wheel crossing the crack.
The G has a rear wheel way off the ground due to poor flex. My 100 never lifted a rear wheel.

http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/611082

Thai: Write for the other readers. I'm out and LMAO!

Sure...don't believe the CRYSTAL CLEAR RTI ramp picture....:D
30_1544942_7262005114235PM.jpg

30_1544942_7262005114520PM.jpg

NMuzj100 said:
When I first mentioned the G-wagon I hardly meant to get the same old business with Thai started again. Only that the G is in the same class as the 100 unlike the Powerwagon which (although I think is awesome) is not a luxury SUV (neither is the H3 or a LC 40).

I do think that MB's recent slide (plummet) in overall reliability may not mean anything when talking about the G-wagon since it is a long established model and a hold-over from the dinosaur days when MB was a quality leader.

When I first started looking for a quality vehicle to replace my Suburban I looked at used G-wagons at what used to be the US's only G-wagon dealer in Santa Fe. They were some rugged machines but the ones I could afford were really old.

Thank you. I will stop here in this thread. :beer:

Now that Thai is gone in this thread....and since he's stuck on his G with triple lockers and dual live axles.....don't ya think he should pose his comparison in the 80-Forum? Can you only imagine how he'd be slammed in there? :mad:
A G500 vs an FZJ80 off road? My god. :eek:

Thai said:
I love it. More assumptions. Hmmm, tell that to the lifted 4runner driver who could not make it up. Tell it to TEXGX in his GX470.

In fact, here is the first-hand account from TEXGX:

"Now I will say that the G500 was alsome. For pure off-road, it would spank the GX with no problem. The approach and departure angles are impressive. Having factory front, rear, and center diffs does not suck. The BF ATs worked great. I will be looking to put some on as soon as I can. I will say that a Hummer driver told us that no one could make it up this one spot and the G500 had no problem. Hummers suck. He told us that he had broke a tire rod last time out."

Seriously, you guys are just full of it...OPEN INVITATION to ANY TLC owner in TEXAS next time i am out. I promise to post on this forum. And if you don't want to bring your ride, then feel free to PM me...i will save some space on one of our rigs for you. :)

Next time please quote the full posting from a thread. Very different from your context now isn't it.

"Ok Thai,

Way to twist the information. In the picture of the GX on the ramp, you failed to mention that I did not have a spotter and my bumper had caved in so I stoped and looked at the damage. If I had a spotter like you did, I would have spanked you like a step child. And you hit your bumper on the ramp also. In the Truck Trend or Four Wheeler Magazine, the GX was only beaten by the Jeep Rubicon on the ramp test. It beat the G55. Now I expect a full write up next time you want to impress you MB friends.

Now I will say that the G500 was alsome. For pure off-road, it would spank the GX with no problem. The approach and departure angles are impressive. Having factory front, rear, and center diffs does not suck. The BF ATs worked great. I will be looking to put some on as soon as I can. I will say that a Hummer driver told us that no one could make it up this one spot and the G500 had no problem. Hummers suck. He told us that he had broke a tire rod last time out.

By the way, I have not recieved any love for saving the 4R that rolled. If not for my quick work with the fire extingisher, it might have been alot worse. I always carry one with me.

TexGX"

Thai.... seriously dude. You are like the guy who just walks into the locker room for the post-game shower and starts screaming at everyone that your dick aint that small, and "I'm a grower, not a shower!!!!", when everyone else was just talking about hooking up with the cheerleaders tonight.

No one said your rig wasn't capable, but you come over to a Land Cruiser board and start throwing some pity party about how you and your rig aren't respected. Then, attempting to walk the walk, you post pictures of it on a trail that I can only assume ANY Mercedes could make it down (G class, M class, C Class....).

Come on. We know G's are awesome rigs. We know they are capable. We know that, unlike the rest of Mercedes vehicles anymore, they have some good quality standards. But you aren't EVER going to convice a single one of us that their quality and durability are better than Toyota's. Sure, the military uses G's. They also use Hummers and Rovers. You arguing in favor of their quality?

So shut up, wrap the towl around your waist, and go home.

shocker said:
Thai.... seriously dude. You are like the guy who just walks into the locker room for the post-game shower and starts screaming at everyone that your dick aint that small, and "I'm a grower, not a shower!!!!", when everyone else was just talking about hooking up with the cheerleaders tonight.

No one said your rig wasn't capable, but you come over to a Land Cruiser board and start throwing some pity party about how you and your rig aren't respected. Then, attempting to walk the walk, you post pictures of it on a trail that I can only assume ANY Mercedes could make it down (G class, M class, C Class....).

Come on. We know G's are awesome rigs. We know they are capable. We know that, unlike the rest of Mercedes vehicles anymore, they have some good quality standards. But you aren't EVER going to convice a single one of us that their quality and durability are better than Toyota's. Sure, the military uses G's. They also use Hummers and Rovers. You arguing in favor of their quality?

So shut up, wrap the towl around your waist, and go home.

:D :D :D :D :D

I don't think the benz G and the LC 100 are the same class of vehicle. The Benz looks like a mid-wheelbase while the LC is a long-wheelbase. It would best be matched w/ the 4-door hardtop JDM HZJ76 w/ live front axle and diff locks, which was discontinued last year, but was only $28K w/ diff locks and 5spd manual 1HZ diesel. Toyota has been manufacturing this design, pretty much unchanged other than going to front coils around 2000, for the last 25 years or so. Now for under $30K straight out-of-the-box (2003 price), its offroad performance would be tough to beat.

How small are you- to going out wheeling with some "friends" and then post deceptive photos and chit-talk behind their backs to look good for complete strangers?

And the G is not in the same class as the 100 b/c the interior and fit/finish SUCK in comparison to the 100. Part of the attraction is wheeling in style, the other part is reliability, aftermarket support, overall cost of ownership, cargo room... and those 1970's VW Rabbit style door handles..ugh.

sfa & good angles alone don't make a $70,000 SUV. If it does, I have a $70K Jeep XJ to sell you.
The G Wagen would be great in the $30,000 range. The overall expectations are much lower and it doesn't need to be 9 out of 10 on all counts. Good stock offroad capability alone can carry the day at that price.

Locked FZJ80 w/ minor mods would kill the G with ease; and a used, 100K mile 80 would still be a vastly better buy than the G if you are going to actually do hard wheeling and the 100 or GX is vastly better if you're not.

shocker said:

I made it down that very trail in my SL class last weekend! Top down and rollbar up like a Wrangler Rubicon! Saw a black G500 high-centered, though, and had to strap him out with the little tow ring hidden behind my stock plastic bumper... Hehe... ;)

In my opinion you all are living in fantasy world. It's not the vehicle that makes it capable off road it's the balls of the person driving it. With a little knowledge and skill thrown in.

Tai, you are fishing for an argument and these numbnuts :flipoff2: fell for it. They fall for it every time. If you wouldn't have mentioned your G wagon then this would still be a conversation about those other vehicle not your crap.

Back on the subject. My comment is they never stated reliability. That's not what they were testing. If that were the case the Touareg would come in dead last. I thought the rankings were fair.

And as far as JD powers ranking on reliability. Most lexus drivers don't rag on there vehicles or take them off road like all or most of Jeeps are. Totally different class of people. Those who take them to the dealer to be serviced and those who go to jiffy lube.

dclee said:
I made it down that very trail in my SL class last weekend! Top down and rollbar up like a Wrangler Rubicon! Saw a black G500 high-centered, though, and had to strap him out with the little tow ring hidden behind my stock plastic bumper... Hehe... ;)

Now yer talkin'. I'd trade my 100 for an SL600. What a sweet ride! I'd drive it for a month, then sell it...buy my 100 back and a '97 80. :D

Sure...don't believe the CRYSTAL CLEAR RTI ramp picture....:D

Yeah that's not deceptive :rolleyes:

No one has a problem with the G Wagen (I guess shocker summed it up) they have a problem w/ you

I have to get away from these pointless comparisons b/c on the trails it never matters. People matter. However, knowing you own one makes me like it less. Maybe one day I'll come across a good G owner to balance things out in my mind.

Trollhole said:
And as far as JD powers ranking on reliability. Most lexus drivers don't rag on there vehicles or take them off road like all or most of Jeeps are. Totally different class of people. Those who take them to the dealer to be serviced and those who go to jiffy lube.

It's really an "initial" quality rating in that the data is only taken into consideration for the first year of ownership.

I doubt most Jeep owners (save the exception of the Wrangler) take their vehicles off road any more than an Lexus owner.

True but are we talking about all lexus vehicles compared to all jeeps? Maybe i read it wrong. If so your thowing sedans into the mix. Last time I checked jeep didn't have a sedan or a vehicle over 45 grand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom