Truck rocking when coming to a stop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
Got a weird one going, when slowing to a stop I can feel the truck gently rocking forward and back slightly as it slows down and you're applying the brake pedal. No vibration felt in the steering wheel or brake pedal, had the front rotors turned just in case, didn't resolve it. Checked the bearings by shaking the tire at 6 and 12, everything feels tight. Taking it in later this week to have the rears turned as well, also just in case. But, trying to think of what else it might be? Gotta be brake related as it's only felt when braking.

If the body moves back and forward when when you are near 0 MPH, I think it is brake related. Probably your rear brakes are not engaging, as a result when coming to a complete stop front locks up but rear rolls forward and backwards. How about if you pull the park brake when rocking, see whether that stops the rocking. When did you last did a brake flush? Front always take a larger force so it locks up and rear is bearly getting engaged.

I have experienced this with our Hilux with a faulty proportionating valve.

I have the same issue after flushing fluid and changing my brake pads. I’m wondering if I put too much grease on the caliper pins which is causing this issue??

Shocks? If you push down on the front and release does the truck rebound once or rock?

Check for a monkey in the trunk. 😜

I would drive it spirited and then check the rear brakes disc temperatures with in IR gun for a difference in temps. Also check the rear control arm bushings, upper and lower. Completely worn bushing could present some rear steer when braking.

I have the same issue after flushing fluid and changing my brake pads. I’m wondering if I put too much grease on the caliper pins which is causing this issue??
Adding grease may affect the return (release) but not while compressing (breaking). Pribabaly you got some air in the lines. For my 2000, key on, foot on brake and crack open the bleeder nipple until I get about 200 mL, then close the nipple, add fresh fluid to reservoir! Repeat other side.

My vote is brake / disc out of round related based on what you said. Suspension and steering parts would show their issues at other times, not just when braking.

I'm currently working on a tiny little RHD Mitsubishi with out of round rotors. It feels just like you described and is most notable when almost stopped. A sort of grabbing and releasing feel. The harder I brake the less I feel it, nice gentle braking at slow speeds and it just sort of rocks a bit as the vehicle slows and releases.

It was the rear rotors, somehow warped already within 30k miles. Replaced those, new pads, all good. Checked the calipers, nothing was hanging, totally even pad wear. Wondering if maybe one of the kids got them hot, went through a water crossing, dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom