Toyota Tools (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm actually getting close to having these available now! I'm working on two versions, one that is going to be as faithful a representation as I can make, which will be kind of spendy at $90-100 each, and I figure is really only for the sticklers & concourse resto guys, and then one that will be a more of a work roll, that will be affordable, and look the part, but one that people won't mind actually throwing into the truck & using. I'm almost ready to go on the nice one now.
Best,
Abe

Me too!!

I can't thank you guys enough for the information and detail in this thread. I obtained my 1983 FJ40 in September and she is in pretty darn good shape. She has her issues but none to large to conquer. Finding an original tool bag is on my list and I believe that I have finally sourced one with some tools. This will be such a great starting and finishing point for my quest.

Thanks again!!

I can't thank you guys enough for the information and detail in this thread. I obtained my 1983 FJ40 in September and she is in pretty darn good shape. She has her issues but none to large to conquer. Finding an original tool bag is on my list and I believe that I have finally sourced one with some tools. This will be such a great starting and finishing point for my quest.

Thanks again!!

You surely know this but If you have an 83 - The tool kit we're discussing here would not be correct, you want this
IMG_1200.jpg
IMG_4835.JPG

Tools /Tool Kits / Options & Accessories - Index

An objective of this thread is to provide useful reference information about the tools, tool kits and related items provided with early Land Cruisers. Use this index to help find specific topics of interest.

Future postings will cover tools and kits not yet addressed; the index will be updated as new information is added.

Tool Kits
Tools
Operation Manual / Owner's Manual
Options & Accessories
Other Reference

Last edited:
The set of keys for my 1976 FJ40 was a conglomeration of after-market items. A cheap, plastic tag, on a give-away ring, with a couple of hardware store keys.
View attachment 827353

How about an OEM set instead? The ignition key for 1973-82 FJ40s is Ilco TR33 or equivalent. There are 6 possibilities for the ambulance door key, mine is Dominion TA11. eBay sellers currently offer reproduction OEM ignition keys with the TEQ logo. The rear door key (90999-00011-04) is available from a dealer on eBay as well. These key blanks are slightly shorter than their after-market equivalents, but were not a problem for the lock shop to duplicate.

New keys deserve a new cover or ring. The OEM key cover (69555-20010) is available; MetricTLC offers a combination key ring/tool in the shape of a FJ40 bezel.

View attachment 827354

View attachment 827355

View attachment 827356

I made my key fob for the 40. here are some pics and the wallets I make.

fj key.jpg

Key Wallet Dark Brown.jpg

You surely know this but If you have an 83 - The tool kit we're discussing here would not be correct, you want this
Hi Overton. You are correct and thank you again for correcting me. I sometimes use the wrong words. I have a tool bag and currently have put together the nice beginnings of a time appropriate tool bag. My 14x17 spanner is the wrong one. My adjustable is 200mm and not 250mm (but I think I found one). I am missing the red plastic clip for the two spanners. Else I think I am in good shape. This is what I have (not complete picture as I took it before I amassed all of the other stuff). Would love to have your thoughts.

Thanks again for the detailed information!!!

photo.JPG

Not sure where we are on the tool kit roll. I am interested in most anything at or near $100. The cost is not as important as the quality. Let us know what we need to do. I would even front the $100. for tooling cost. Also I have a crappy original took kit from a 1969.

George

Zipper Bag (Toyota Motor) - Replica

Looking for a tool bag to hold all those OEM tools you've been collecting? Or maybe a new bag as a finishing touch to your frame-off restoration? Here's one you may want to consider.

This is a reproduction of the tool bag found in later FJ40's and FJ60s. It is made by, and available from Cruiser World, (no affiliation), a cruiser shop located in The Netherlands (and known as L&L Land Cruisers within the country). Additional photos are on the catalog page, cost is 29.95 Euros. Including shipping to the US, plus an extra 5% to cover PayPal fees, the total was 52.24 Euros, which is $69.84.

I purchased the bag in March of this year. According to the folks at L&L, they had been looking for reproduction bags, but were not able to find any, so decided to have them made. They said considerable research was done in order to make their bag as close to original as possible.

Results of my examination of the bag in comparison with an original bag follows. While there are some minor differences, overall this is a well-executed reproduction.

This bag has the same dimensions as the original. The fabric is a type of vinylized material. Same tan color as the original. One difference is that the original material appears to have a cloth backing, which is not used for the reproduction bag. As a result, the original material is slightly heavier than the reproduction material. Like the original, there is a small pocket between the ends of the handles on the front side.
IMG_1861.JPG

The construction of the reproduction bag appears to be the same as the original. One added feature on the reproduction bag are the protective loops over the zipper teeth, at the end opposite the zipper foot.
IMG_1864.JPG

The zipper is YKK, with what appears to be an aluminum slider, foot and pull, with nylon teeth. The original bag has a YKK zipper, with a brass-plated pull, and brass slider, foot, and teeth.
IMG_1866.JPG

The Toyota Motor marking on the side is clear and the lines are sharp. Compared to the original marking, the lines are slightly narrower.
IMG_1867.JPG

Here's a picture of the original and reproduction bags. The binding on the reproduction bag is a light tan color, this original is light olive drab. I've seen other original tool bags of this type with the tan binding. The color differences in original bindings may be from fading due to UV exposure. Both bindings are bias cut. The thread on the original bag is tan and matches the fabric, the reproduction thread is white. With the exception of the row of stitches at the bottom of the X at each handle end, the reproduction bag has the same stitch pattern as the original.
IMG_1868.JPG

Last edited:
Zipper Bag (Toyota Motor) - OEM

This post highlights the Zipper Bag tool kit, provided with 1983-84 FJ40s, marked with TOYOTA MOTOR and including the brown, stamped steel jack handle.

This tool kit is located on top of the passenger side wheel well, beneath the jump seat. The bag is secured by a tool bag retainer band, which is held by 2 small brackets. To hold the bag, the band is slipped over the latch bracket, which is bent in such a way as to hold the band in place. The metal hook, which had previously latched the band under the driver's set, is no longer used. The dark marks on the side of this tool bag are stains from the black rubber band. It is not uncommon to find these marks on the zipper bags.
P1020019.JPG

P1020021.JPG

While the assortment of tools provided is similar to the Zipper Bag (TEQ Yellow) kit posted above, there are new pieces, and notable changes from that kit. Some of these were introduced in the Zipper Bag (TEQ Brown) kit.

The zipper bag is the same as the earlier bag except that the TEQ logo is no longer present. With the logo absent, the TOYOTA MOTOR marking is moved up, and centered on the side of the bag.

The long rod with a flattened end is the wheel cap wrench, used to remove hubcaps. There are several versions of this tool that vary by the width of the flattened part. This one is 2 cm at the widest point.

This kit includes the brown, stamped steel jack handle, unmarked and approximately 30 cm long. This handle replaced the brown, cast handle sometime around 1982.
P1020023.JPG

The 200 mm pliers has a slotted screw, and is marked TOYOTA JAPAN, the back is not marked. Earlier pliers included the KTC PAT mark on the back. These pliers have a light, gold-tone finish, unlike the pliers in earlier kits. While earlier pliers are reinforced around the slip joint, that reinforcement is not present on these pliers.

The screwdriver has a yellow, plastic handle marked TOYOTA MOTOR. The shank can be removed from the handle and has a flat blade at one end, and cross-head at the other. This is the same screwdriver included with earlier zipper tool bag kits. The 2-piece screwdriver with a black, plastic handle, appears in the FJ60 version of this kit.

The 2-piece spark plug wrench has 4 holes, and is marked 20.6 TOYOTA MOTOR JAPAN. The wrench bar is highly polished; later versions have a dull finish.

The wheel cap replacer tool, used to install hubcaps, is metal coated with black plastic. This version is 3 cm wide, later versions are wider, and still later versions are coated with gray plastic instead.
P1020024.JPG

The 21 mm lug wrench is 2-piece. The handle is 27 cm, unmarked, and notched at one end. The wrench is 24 cm and marked TOYOTA MOTOR JAPAN.

Two wrenches (10 x 12, 14 x 17) are held with a red, plastic clip. They are marked TOYOTA MOTOR on the raised handle, with SPECIAL ALLOY on the back. Earlier wrenches are marked NICKEL CHROME VANADIUM on the back and come with a yellow, plastic clip.

The 250mm adjustable wrench is marked TOYOTA MOTOR. The adjustment gear is held with a pin; earlier wrenches with similar markings use a slotted screw instead. The wrench markings appear to indicate which type of attachment (screw or pin) is used. On the TOYOTA MOTOR side, at the end of the handle is a casting mark HITnn, where nn is a one or two digit number. Wrenches that use a pin, have either L or R appearing below the HIT mark. Wrenches without the L or R designation, use a screw attachment instead. This wrench is marked with an L.
P1020025.JPG

Last edited:
Zipper Bag (TEQ Brown) - OEM

This tool kit was provided as standard equipment for 1979-82 FJ40s. The kit includes tools that were included in both earlier (TEQ Yellow) and later (Toyota Motor) Zipper Bag kits; the only tool unique to this kit is the brown, cast jack handle. In a later version of this kit, around 1982, the brown, cast jack handle was replaced by the brown, stamped steel jack handle. Other tools in the kit were added or changed as well and are described below.

Earlier tool kits were stored on the floor beneath the drivers seat. As part of the extensive changes to the 1979 FJ40, the tool kit was relocated to the top of the passenger-side rear wheel well. The tool bag has the same TOYOTA TEQ MOTOR marking as the earlier Zipper Bag kit.

P1020041.JPG

P1020045.JPG

The brown, cast jack handle in the kit complements the brown, stamped steel jack (09110-60010) introduced in 1979 as well. The handle is unmarked, approximately 32 cm long; slightly longer than the yellow, cast jack handle (30 cm)

Not included initially, the wheel cap wrench and wheel cap replacer tools were added in 1981. The wheel cap wrench is the long rod with a flattened end, used to remove hubcaps. There are several versions of this tool that vary by the width of the flattened part. This one is 2 cm at the widest point. The wheel cap replacer, used to install hubcaps, is metal coated with black plastic. This version is 3 cm wide, later versions are wider, and still later versions are coated with gray plastic instead.

P1020046.JPG

New with this kit is the 2-piece, 21 mm lug wrench, which replaced the 1-piece version from earlier kits. The handle is 27 cm, unmarked and notched at one end. The wrench is 24 cm and marked TOYOTA MOTOR JAPAN.

The screwdriver has a yellow, plastic handle marked TOYOTA MOTOR, with MADE IN JAPAN on the back. The shank can be removed from the handle and has a flat blade at one end, and cross-head at the other.

The 2-piece spark plug wrench has 4 holes, and is marked 20.6 TOYOTA MOTOR JAPAN. The wrench bar is highly polished; later versions have a dull finish.

The 200 mm pliers has a slotted screw, is marked TOYOTA JAPAN, and has a silver finish. The back includes the KTC PAT mark and each jaw features a U-shaped reinforcing ridge. Pliers in a later version of this kit are unmarked on the back, do not have the reinforcing ridge, and are finished in a light gold-tone.

P1020047.JPG

Two wrenches (10 x 12, 14 x 17) are held with a red plastic clip. They are marked TOYOTA MOTOR on the raised handle, with SPECIAL ALLOY on the back. Earlier wrenches are marked NICKEL CHROME VANADIUM on the back and come with a yellow plastic clip.

The 250mm adjustable wrench is marked TOYOTA MOTOR. The adjustment gear is held with a pin; earlier wrenches with similar markings use a slotted screw instead. The wrench markings appear to indicate which type of attachment (screw or pin) is used. On the TOYOTA MOTOR side, at the end of the handle, is a casting mark HITnn, where nn is a one or two digit number. Wrenches that use a pin have either L or R appearing below the HIT mark. Wrenches without the L or R designation use a screw attachment instead. This wrench is marked with an L.

HIT is a brand of the Toho Koki Co. Toho Koki was established in 1938 and makes a variety of wrenches and cutters. In addition to contract manufacturing, they market their wrenches under the HIT and STRONG HIT brands.

P1020049.JPG

Although the earlier TEQ Yellow tool kit is pictured in Land Cruiser brochures in 1978 and 1979, this TEQ Brown kit does not appear in U.S. Land Cruiser brochures. The 1979-81 brochures do include "Tool Kit" as standard equipment in the Features List. The 1981 brochure advises prospective buyers "And because you can be a long way from a Toyota mechanic when you go off-road, there's even a tool kit for emergency fixes."

The 1982-83 brochures do not mention the tool kit and "Tool Kit" no longer appears in the Features List although it was still standard equipment. Perhaps mention of the tool kit was considered distracting from the reliability and dependability themes of the 1982 brochure.

Last edited:
I'm going to jump in here an ask the stupid question. Did the old style tool roll ever got finished and made available? I've been making fly fishing gear for a while so I have some industrial sewing machines to do my prototyping, as well as existing sources for Made in the USA industrial sewing in QTY, as well as an e-commerce site etc to actually make them easily available via credit card etc.

If anyone is still interested in the tool roll, I might be interested in working on it as a pet project. I'm working on a similar tool holster option for my musky fly fishing friends so it's actually right up my alley. I would need an old tool roll to get the pattern going for it.

See my fly fishing stuff at www.smithfly.net

I'm going to jump in here an ask the stupid question. Did the old style tool roll ever got finished and made available? I've been making fly fishing gear for a while so I have some industrial sewing machines to do my prototyping, as well as existing sources for Made in the USA industrial sewing in QTY, as well as an e-commerce site etc to actually make them easily available via credit card etc.

If anyone is still interested in the tool roll, I might be interested in working on it as a pet project. I'm working on a similar tool holster option for my musky fly fishing friends so it's actually right up my alley. I would need an old tool roll to get the pattern going for it.

See my fly fishing stuff at www.smithfly.net

Not aware of anyone currently offering old style tool roll replicas for sale. Why not start a separate thread to pursue your offer?

Hey Guys,
Sorry for being so absentee the last 7 or 8 months. Job problems sort of forced me to go on Cruiser Hiatus for a while. But now that I've been laid off, I've got plenty of time. Anyway, attached are pics of the replica tool roles that we've got working. These are waxed canvas like the originals, are really as authentic as we could make them. With one exception that you've probably already noticed... There are no number stamps, for the tools. We're still trying to figure out how to put a stamp on waxed canvas. The alternative is to stamp regular canvas & then wax it, but we don't have the equipment for that. We will keep working on solutions though. I'm going to bring these to the Rising Sun rally tomorrow, so hopefully some of the people there will post up honest opinions after they inspect them in person.
Thanks & sorry for being gone for so long.
Best,
Abe
(P.S. I'll also be bringing a ton of OEM replica soft tops too)

Tool Roll 1.jpg
Tool Roll 2.jpg
Tool Roll 3.jpg

Nice work, has an adjustable slide buckle like the original.

z_buckle.jpg

Last edited:
How do I clean up my tools, so of mine have some surface rust, especially the Toyota adjustable wrench-vinegar?

Where does one go about finding tools like that? Are they still available oem?
My 60 didn't come with any of that so I didn't even know it existed.
Those bags are sweet; when the funds free up I may buy a few of them.

Most excellent write up. Great, in depth, research. Lots of interesting avenues to pursue to complete original sets or to organize a new one. Thanks!

How do I clean up my tools, so of mine have some surface rust, especially the Toyota adjustable wrench-vinegar?

I use Simichrome Polish to remove light surface rust. It cleans and polishes metal surfaces, and according to the manufacturer leaves a protective coating.

For heavier cleaning and rust, I generally follow the Alloy Artifacts web site advice on cleaning and de-rusting tools. Usually start with 600 grit sandpaper (rather than 300-400 as they suggest), or for polished surfaces use 0000 steel wool.

Alloy Artifacts recommends electrolysis for removing rust and also suggests Evaporust. Have not used electrolysis, but have used Evaporust and was pleased with the result. There are several Mud threads discussing both of these.

The problem with vinegar is that although it does remove rust, it also removes metal and plating.

0000 steel wool is useful for cleaning hard plastic screwdriver handles and wood handles on hammers and screwdrivers. Renaissance Wax does a nice job polishing plastic and wood, and can also be used on metal as well.

I found both Simichrome Polish and Renaissance Wax on e-Bay. Both are applied sparingly, so the small tube/can are adequate.

Where does one go about finding tools like that? Are they still available oem?
My 60 didn't come with any of that so I didn't even know it existed.
Those bags are sweet; when the funds free up I may buy a few of them.

For vintage tools try local swap meets or Cruiser clubs in your area. Try Mud for-sale or wanted classifieds. They show up in yard sales, estate sales, Craigslist, e-Bay. Best prices will likely be found locally. Expect to pay premium prices on e-Bay, although bargains do show up occasionally. I got a Toyota grease gun last year for $10, but that is very unusual.

For example, there is a Toyota Motor zipper bag with 2-piece lug wrench, wheel cap wrench (bent), and spark plug wrench handle on e-Bay (no affiliation) now for $79 buy-it-now. Looks like a partial kit from a late FJ40 or early FJ60. The bag is dirty, but otherwise appears to be in good shape, and the tools appear oxidized, but should clean up nicely. I expect this will go quickly.

Toyota provided many different tool kits for their vehicles. It is not uncommon to see kits from other vehicles advertised as FJ40, FJ60 or Land Cruiser kits. If you want the year or period correct kit for your 60, check Mud posts for reference.

The OEM tool kit tools available today are generic, not marked TOYOTA. The pouch is marked TOYOTA but is not the zipper bag, it uses 2 velcro straps to close. You can order these from Toyota.
IMG_1710.JPG

The tools pictured below (except the wrench clip) are service tools available from Toyota in Japan. See the first post in this thread for part numbers and details on how to order. The tool roll in the photo is the rick_d replica, no longer available.
Toyota tools - 2.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom