Topnault (Chinese) half tub review and impressions… Plus half doors! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
It’s been a minute since I’ve done any restoration work but the time has come to get busy on my next project!

It’s a 77 40 series in 653 Olive! (What’s new? ;))

After long consideration, I’ve decided to press the “easy” button and purchase a 1/2 tub from Topnault @ 3k. About 3.5k with shipping. I did previously purchase all the panels to weld up myself but I “think” this will save me countless hours of labor.

The order said it should be delivered between Jan 26th and Jan 30, but there’s no sign of it yet. I emailed Topnault on the 28th to get an idea of the delivery date with no response so far.

So I figured I’d make this thread and let everyone know what my experience is/was with this company and its customer support as well as the quality of their products.

Screenshot of my receipt.

IMG_1754.jpeg

I hope my order # isn’t a bad omen!

others have found the full tub to have issues with the body mount locations on rear sill and the placement & orientation of the bed support ribs, have not seen any pics of where the mid mounts ( front of wheel well ) line up on these TP pieces. Curious how they finish the seams on yours, please post pics if you can.

FYI, I’m in it for that much, maybe more by way of separate panels from other vendors. I have to drill some of the body mounts but using frame as jig helped. Hoping you have better luck than their early runs of full tubs as posted above. Would be nice to see a decent evenly priced Al vs steel option out there.

Yes, I’m hoping they have remedied the issues some others have posted, especially the issue with the rear sill being welded “under” the rear floor. That mistake really tells of the lack of QC.

My hopes are:
1. All panels are installed in the correct order and manner.
2. Alignment to the frame mounting points.

I can deal with sloppy welds as long as they are holding things in the correct alignment!

I was dreaming (not sleeping) last night of snagging one of these or a 45 bed to make a trailer out of.
Solves the fitment issue.

Okay, I received the tub this morning.

Here's a link to a video unboxing and first impressions.

I'll add some more details soon.
20240405_110917.jpg
20240405_105424.jpg
20240405_105405.jpg

Last edited:
So the biggest issue this half tub has is that it's not an actual half tub!
I would expect that a half tub would include everything rear of the door jambs.
It's missing the entire mid bed support channel along with the "wings" which are located just in front of the wheel wells that cover the support channel on each end.
I'm thinking of buying those parts from CCOT at around 350ish.
But I'll wait and see if Topnault can remedy this situation.

I do want to say that the customer service I've received from them has been great so far.
They threw in a set of half doors for free for the delay in shipping. I thought that was awesome!!

Here's a couple pics of those half doors.

20240406_164002.jpg
20240406_162100.jpg
20240406_162043.jpg

So the biggest issue this half tub has is that it's not an actual half tub!
I would expect that a half tub would include everything rear of the door jambs.
It's missing the entire mid bed support channel along with the "wings" which are located just in front of the wheel wells that cover the support channel on each end.
I'm thinking of buying those parts from CCOT at around 350ish.
But I'll wait and see if Topnault can remedy this situation.

I do want to say that the customer service I've received from them has been great so far.
They threw in a set of half doors for free for the delay in shipping. I thought that was awesome!!

Here's a couple pics of those half doors.

View attachment 3600660View attachment 3600661View attachment 3600662
for like 7K more you could have gotten a full body and top with paint! Now that would be a crazy unboxing

for like 7K more you could have gotten a full body and top with paint! Now that would be a crazy unboxing
Yep, but now I’m thinking I may return the half tub and go with a 3/4 FJ43 Tub.
I just saw they are now making them and it’s what I’ve wanted all along.

Time will tell…

Thought I would provide a second video regarding the missing center channel for more clarity.

ccot makes all three pieces that you need.
True, but they don't sell them separately. The wings only come with the mid-bed.
I even asked about it.

I chatted with Topnault and provided the video links. They will be reviewed by the team in China to assist with further modifications to their manufacturing processes.
I was also promised a new replacement tub with the appropriate updates based on my feedback.
So far this company is demonstrating excellent customer service!

Quick update...
After reviewing my videos the Factory in China has agreed to build me another 1/2 tub with the corrections I noted.
I noticed they are now making FJ43 bodies so I asked if my replacement could be a 43 instead. They said NO PROBLEM!!! It may even be a 3,/4 tub, but that's still not for sure.

I've always wanted a 43 with the extra 14 inches. I will be extremely thankful if that can happen!

Like I said, this company has been great to work with!

Looking forward to the next update! I am hoping they just removed most of the 40 parts from their website until they can resolve the issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom