Topnault fj40 - I ordered front doors! unboxing and review forthcoming. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just ordered a set of front doors for the 40. The original doors are rusted out and after attempting a Real Steel patch job, on one (not bad actually), I learned this sort of repair is beyond my expertise, patience, etc. I do have two doors, with patch panels if anyone is interested, I have them listed for $900 for the two, but open to offers.

Anyway, I'm going to post the unboxing and thoughts on these doors when they arrive. Tim gave me 15% off their price, and with free shipping, totaled about $1,500. Below are pics of the old doors.

Cheers everyone!

IMG_6996.jpg
IMG_7005.jpg
IMG_7003.jpg
IMG_6997.jpg

Morning everyone! I received the doors yesterday. They were packed quite well, each in their own separate box. While the passenger door came out unscathed, the driver door was pretty beat up. Both corners were bashed in, the seam on one side was pulled apart, the door was twisted and doesn’t lay flat and the two halves don’t line up. Overall it appears to be a mix of poor quality build and possible shipping damage.

In regards to the passenger door, the hinge holes are just slightly off, but I think this is a an issue specific to my situation; a combo of the aqualu tub hinge mount etc, which can be easily modified.

The build quality looks pretty decent and they are hefty, and look quite nice. One issue I noticed with both doors, which I had read about in other posts is that the bottom tack welds didn’t hold. I’ll either weld or throw some body panel adhesive in there.

I have reached out to Topnault, and from what I’ve read they’ve been very responsive with issues, and I will continue to post installation of all the guts, paint and install.

IMG_7086.jpeg

IMG_7085.jpeg

IMG_7083.jpeg

IMG_7087.jpeg

IMG_7088.jpeg

That thing is a wreck, as far as the bottom goes I believe they did not roll that edge of skin up because it will let door drain any water but the fitment is just, well, hum, not right. Curous if the half doors have same skin attachment at bottom cause IIRC they were much better from the get go so why would the full doors come out like nobody looked at them just stuffed in a box and shipped ?????

Did you ask them to view the fellas thread where they royaly fubared the tub assembly. $8K for wrongly assembled parts, dimensions wrong, locations wrong, s*** welds, I like their products just not their assembly.

Tell them to design and build a dedicated pre-paid reusable crate to ship doors in with out damage. One damaged door would pay for dozens of returned crates.

I am rooting for them too, It is awesome to see a manuf. get interested, they have been really positive with first run beta pieces and making improvements, however they need to get a factory 40 to look at when assembling the complete tub or 1/2 tub, it's as simple as that. don't make s*** up or guess, get a sample or specific dimensional detail and go to work. The mount locations being off front to rear by inches is odd as I do not believe that 40 tubs had different body mount locations but they may have. In restrospect, the $8K is not all that bad considering what people are asking for rusted out 40's these days. I would like to put a fj43 rear 1/2 tub on my 40 to stretch it but it is not in their line up yet.

People never apricate the chemical energy in a gallon of gasoline until they push their car around the block once. Same goes for fabricating something from scratch, while it's not rocket surgery it still requires tools, time, materials and talent - wonderful when it also done with pride in workmanship.

Modernizing a FJ40 is popular. With that in mind would be nice to see the latest improvements Toyota did towards the end of production of the 40 series. Just this little dimple would make it easier to have the room light work on the door. Doesn't interfere with fitment on the door openings without the switch.
D2D9DD46-5670-4878-B43A-668FB070FF3B.jpeg

Modifying the transmission hump to the 10/82+ style doesn't hurt either. This has the raised section at the front for the H55F.
P1050977.JPG

Believe City Racer sells a fiberglass inspection for the late transmission hump. Uncut version earlier boots. The insert dash they had on the 1/79 dash only the 10/82 dash was offered. That late version only works if you have the late insert which has been NLA for many years. The dash before 10/82 would have made more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom