Topnault half doors (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My doors arrived this morning, I am impressed
door -1-2.jpg
driver outside.jpg
driver.jpg
half door - passanger.jpg
driver inside.jpg
latch half door.jpg

Anyone know what if any diff there is between 70' & these doors ? Given its just the bottom 1/2 I see no reason they wouldn't fit a 70" ?

Anyone know what if any diff there is between 70' & these doors ? Given its just the bottom 1/2 I see no reason they wouldn't fit a 70" ?

Been running 79 hard doors on my 68 for forty years. Only had to deal with the catch on the B pillar to make them work.
IMG_20190822_190135850.jpg

FST the eyebolt on the dash need to come off. Might also have to loosen the straps on the fuel tank and move towards the center as much as possible. 1/75 when the one piece doors started in most markets the tank had around been reduced in size from the one before the 73 model.

So they clear the tank on pass & seat mount on driver down low ?
Looks like it would clear my cage legs too.
I am most excited to modify these to make a storage comp and I will probably use the vinyl door latches and modify door so they look og, any ideas for the storage comp ? I was thinking a cup holde in top flat with a pad for arm rest and then opening the interior all the way to the edges of that rectangle in the middle, lay some dynamat and indoor outdoor and done,.

Thoughts, I have many times been on the trail where the vinyl door swings open due to angle, attitude, or cant be opened or gets bent and its easy to fix, I feel like I'll trash these but its not resally bothering me that much more concerened with how heavy they are and if they will just be noise makers ?

So they clear the tank on pass & seat mount on driver down low ?
Looks like it would clear my cage legs too.
I am most excited to modify these to make a storage comp and I will probably use the vinyl door latches and modify door so they look og, any ideas for the storage comp ? I was thinking a cup holde in top flat with a pad for arm rest and then opening the interior all the way to the edges of that rectangle in the middle, lay some dynamat and indoor outdoor and done,.

Thoughts, I have many times been on the trail where the vinyl door swings open due to angle, attitude, or cant be opened or gets bent and its easy to fix, I feel like I'll trash these but its not resally bothering me that much more concerened with how heavy they are and if they will just be noise makers ?

Driver's seat is a non issue with a stock seat. Mine has 74 buckets installed and I moved the left front mount outside the tool box and still had room. Going on thirty years ago I added a H42 and used a later transmission cover for height and using the factory boots. Still has the eighteen and a half gallon fuel tank. It still works with later doors.

Using soft door paddle handle wouldn't guarantee it still would pop open flexing the frame. Not hard to modify the later catch to work on the pre 75 B pillar. That what I would do. As for weight I still won't be light. Window and window mechanize would be gone, window channel and some of the metal below the channel would be as well. Minus the window channel these would be less awkward to handle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic OP, thats perfect, I have aftermarketb seats but I put them on the stock mounting bars so I should be good. can you shoot a pic straight down the A pillar interior with door closed, like the tank pic ?

@Dianna my doors showed up yesterday, and they are different than yours. Mine include additional cut-outs and also have the door limiter attached:

View attachment 3454766

I'm going to try to take a quick look this weekend and see what I am able to do about the inner latch and door card.
Wow, guess I shouldn't have ordered early!

I'm wondering now if I received a pair of doors that were not intended for the final production. In addition to the access holes and the door limiter, I don't see all of the spot welds or the tabs bent over inside where the panels were connected in the pics of what you guys just received. I also wish mine would have been in black primer because I will have to paint them black as I could never match my patina.

IMG_1692.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

@Dianna
Tim at TP was really reasonable with me when I received the first run of floor pans (they were warped, really thin gauge metal and packaged terribly). With my feedback (and I’m sure other considerations) they retooled and made the floor pans 14 gauge. They sent me a new set at no cost to me that are really nice and were well packaged.

Can’t say you’ll get the same treatment but it is worth reaching out and expressing your thoughts.

HTH
Ian

Thanks Ian @RevISK , I sent an email last night to the account that I received emails from regarding the doors. Did you contact Tim directly on Mud? I'm not sure he will see my email.

We chatted here through PM and a phone call with him and the president of the company that he initiated.
Thanks Ian @RevISK , I sent an email last night to the account that I received emails from regarding the doors. Did you contact Tim directly on Mud? I'm not sure he will see my email.

Tim responded quickly to my message and asked for a couple days to look over the issue. I know they are getting prepared for SEMA, so grateful for how quickly he got back to me! I can't wait to see the tubs when they roll in (tomorrow I think). That will be the next thing on my list, but I'm waiting on that purchase for some of you to get them first!

I visited the factory in Jiangsu China a few weeks ago. It is a very nice factory, and the owner seems committed to the vintage car market in general. He loves hearing feedback on how to make things better and I think his Land Cruiser parts will continue to evolve and improve. One thing to note on the pre 1979 tubs, the attachment between the tub and body is in between the pre and post 79 tubs. It's probably a better connection, but not exactly OEM. It may be something they have to work on.
PXL_20230920_061817569.jpg
PXL_20230920_072122887.jpg
PXL_20230920_072139380.jpg
PXL_20230920_072402388.jpg
PXL_20230920_075149465.jpg

Awesome! Thank you for sharing the pics! I really hope they are here for the long haul and continue to make quality replacement parts. Did you talk them into making a soft top
and the hardware? ;):cool:

Tim responded quickly to my message and asked for a couple days to look over the issue. I know they are getting prepared for SEMA, so grateful for how quickly he got back to me! I can't wait to see the tubs when they roll in (tomorrow I think). That will be the next thing on my list, but I'm waiting on that purchase for some of you to get them first!
How'd you make out with the doors. I am looking at the 78 body, and would love to hear some more feed back.

How'd you make out with the doors. I am looking at the 78 body, and would love to hear some more feed back.
I'd expect to spend some time working the metal to resolve the issues. I've yet to inspect the half doors closely, but I've hit a number of issues with a replacement driver's door. The mirror and lower hinge bolt pattern for the capture nuts is off slightly, which means I'm going to be modifying the hinges and mirror to fit. The door catch area is wrong, so the catch doesn't sit right. The two sides don't align, so I'm going to be massaging the metal back. And the lower lip around the window the metal isn't bent to a true 90, which means the window won't slide in without bending it back somehow to 90.

Nothing insurmountable, but from my experience I wouldn't expect things to be like OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom