Topnault half doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd expect to spend some time working the metal to resolve the issues. I've yet to inspect the half doors closely, but I've hit a number of issues with a replacement driver's door. The mirror and lower hinge bolt pattern for the capture nuts is off slightly, which means I'm going to be modifying the hinges and mirror to fit. The door catch area is wrong, so the catch doesn't sit right. The two sides don't align, so I'm going to be massaging the metal back. And the lower lip around the window the metal isn't bent to a true 90, which means the window won't slide in without bending it back somehow to 90.

Nothing insurmountable, but from my experience I wouldn't expect things to be like OEM.
Thanks for the feedback. As mentioned above, I am weighing options on my 78 FJ40 resto. I need to either get a new tub and cowl or get new quarter panels, new wheel wells, tub cross member, and patch holes in floorboards. I have a little time left but the body decision point will be here soon.

based on my experience of owning a ‘74 with the handles at the back of the door, I’d recommend having the inner door handle 3/4 of the way to the front. No one can figure out how to open the early doors… especially in the dark.

For inner panels, I’d highly recommend using 1/8” Baltic birch (or door skins) rather than factory hardboard. Thin plywood, a little foam, and some vinyl and they’ll look like a million $$$. Use short staples though… the vinyl will get hot enough in the sun to soften contact cement and have it come off. (Don’t ask me how I know) :(

@noconate
Unfortunately, they were packaged poorly and both were beat up and damaged when they arrived, every corner is damaged. My 40 gets stored for the winter here in Ohio so for the moment, I just stuck them in storage. I hope to get to work on a few things in the next couple of months, but my Dad was in the hospital this past month and I just bought a house to flip. I'm not sure why I keep adding things to my plate, lol. Fixing these doors was not on the plan or I would have just cut down some of my existing doors. I really hope Topnault survives and can bring us some quality tubs and replacement parts, so I hate to say anything negative so I didn't update. But... since you asked, I want to be honest about my experience with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom