Topnault complete 1978 tub-first impression (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just took delivery of the complete tub, front fenders, hood, and windshield frame. I thought I would share some pictures of the tub and first impressions. The tub arrived bolted to a welded frame with the other parts inside of it. It was wrapped in cardboard. No shipping damage. I looked over the tub and my first impression is that it’s not terrible but it’s not perfect either. The welds are pretty sloppy and they used a god awful white seam filler. The seams on the rear quarters aren’t great and will need some love. I don’t have the original here to compare but it looks pretty legit. The one thing I was a little disappointed in so far is there are no tapped holes to bolt the hard top to. I took out the windshield frame and it looks great. This of course will all come down to fitment. All in all, it is a thousand percent better starting point from the rust riddled original. Body guy will have it within a few weeks and we will see how it goes and his thoughts.

IMG_3386.jpeg

IMG_3387.jpeg

IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_3390.jpeg

IMG_3392.jpeg

Why is there a seam in that quarter panel behind the marker light opening?

Why did they even bother to half ass seal what they did, when 95% of the seams still need sealed?
I’m assuming the sealer was to hide some less than stellar welds. It’s all coming off, cleaned up, and prepped correctly for paint. Another 8 man hours would have done wonders for a better finished product. I would prefer no sealer at all since it’s clearly not “paint ready”.

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts!
Keep posting mate!

I'm not impressed with this area. That sealer looks like it's hiding a gap that is a 1/4" or more, and the gap of air where the quarter panel meets the sill?? Seems like everything I've seen from them is less than average. I get that aftermarket parts aren't perfect, but dang. Have you checked to see if the tub is square? I would bet its's not.

IMG_3391.jpeg

Are there spot welds along the floor/fender interface? If not, those few surface seam welds that are visible will in no way transfer any tub/roof loads into the floor, body mounts and frame. At least not for very long, unless the only loads are from the rig sitting in your driveway. Hope I’m mistaken, but if not, I agree with @CondeCruiser, “dang!”

i have questions also.
there at the A. is that a smear of something, or did the metal fail during the forming process?

at B, whats going on there? looks like someone got a little wild with a cutoff wheel?

and i agree, there were there is seam sealer, it looks like they are trying to hide the grand canyon.

IMG_3391.jpg

Last edited:
Also, what is this on the mid bed? Spot weld grindings? Not trying to pick it apart, just curious.

View attachment 3524231
It’s got quite a few spots that make you wonder how it is the way it is. In no way is this or should it be thought of as paint ready. I know there will be some work to do at the body shop. I would have paid more for better finish work and better craftsmanship. But it’s what I have to work with now, which is a ton better than what it would have taken for the original. See pictures for reference.

IMG_0009.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

I applaud your patience and attitude @Papa Rich. “Show me state” applies 😉

I went to college in the Watch me City in that state.

Thank you for posting this info. Maybe this has been answered and I missed it, but from the pics it looks like there aren't any threads for the spare tier carrier is that correct? If there is, is there the backer plate welded in place to support the load like on the OEM tub? If not I can just drill out my current and weld it in place. How about the support channels that go under the wheel well/roll bar? Captive nuts as/where they should be?

It’s got quite a few spots that make you wonder how it is the way it is. In no way is this or should it be thought of as paint ready. I know there will be some work to do at the body shop. I would have paid more for better finish work and better craftsmanship. But it’s what I have to work with now, which is a ton better than what it would have taken for the original. See pictures for reference.

View attachment 3524359

View attachment 3524360

View attachment 3524363
You say you would've paid more for a better finish work and craftsmanship?? I see on the website that these tubs are $8k. For that price I expect the finish work and craftsmanship to be right. I wouldn't settle for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom