TOPLESS!! Now for a "kill switch"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a bikini top and a Tuffy security console yesterday and am ready to go topless. That brings up questions of security. I was thinking of wiring in some type of ignition or starter kill switch and installing it inside the Tuffy console. I was thinking of just picking up a togle switch at Radio Shack for the job.

What do you folks recomend for this and how did you end up doing it? My rig may be a beater, but I love it dearly and drive it everyday. I sure would hate to loose it!

Or are you talking about somebody stealing it?

If they know how to hot wire it without a key then there is not much you can do to prevent them from stealing it. Unless you put a lock on your hood.

Best defense is to take the rotor button or coil wire.

What is a good way to lock the hood? I remember rigging some type of lock on my CJ but that was many beers ago.

Good idea, I have 2, one that kills the fuel pump and one that kills the ignition both in the tuffy console. Its not foolproof, but it will give the thief that wants a quick score second thoughts. The car will turn over but will not start.

I put a Painless brand wiring kit in my 40 and they have a 50 amp Maxi fuse between the ignition and the starter.Just open the hood and pull the fuse and the vehicle will not start.Do not misplace the fuse while having a beer or two.Also remember to put it back in when you get ready to go home.

you can also buy a on/off switch for battery cables.
buy a longer cables and run them to your console box.
TAYLOR CABLE PRODUCTS makes them
they call it a MASTER DISCONNECT SWITCH.

Is this what you are looking for. They came with the rig. Pretty nice, however whenever I take the red plug out my stereo loses it's presets so I need to wire it. Yeah they could bypass the plug if they opened up the hood but this prevents them from hotwiring it right at the column. The fuel shutoff is in the console under a hidden cover they'd never think of looking there and they wouldn't make it far without fuel. I don't use them unless I feel like it's a bad area or will be parked for long time. It's usually in the garage.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG

keep a pit bull in the passenger seat, or some explosives wired in so when a theif starts your truck it blows. :) try searching there was a big thread about this awhile ago maybe some useful info

All of this only keeps honest people honest....

Good luck though...

-Steve

you could run a ground wire from the switch to your coil and ground out the coil and it wont start. and for a hood lock i used one of those gun cable locks the police are always giving away and wrapped it around the corner brace in under the hood and the bib and fender, its a tight fit but is affective and as poser said it will only keep the honest people out or the thief without bolt cutters.

I pull a fuse or two out of my painful wiring harness since the switches are mounted on the front of my tuffy console. I know its mullet, but I dont think people that steal cars bring extra fuses just incase. BTW, Modesto was named the stolen car capitol of the world.

Poser said:
All of this only keeps honest people honest....

Good luck though...

-Steve

I agree, if someone really wants your rig they will tow it and worry about the "anti-theft" devices later.

/HIJACK ON
Thinking about getting a low-jack, my rig might not be worth that much but I spent alot of money and time on it. Hate to see it stolen, for $700 seems like pretty good insurance.
HIJACK OFF/

LoJack is great, if ya lived in WA, I could hook ya up for $420 for a LoJack.

I use Lojack and kill switchs. a few of my cruisers also have the LoJack early warning system, if they cruiser moves and I aint in it.....I get a call on my cell phone(and/or email) telling me its moved........if I think its been stolen, I call the cops, give em the VIN and Lojack is activated................cops get cruiser back FAST

fussy_cruiser said:
I agree, if someone really wants your rig they will tow it and worry about the "anti-theft" devices later.

/HIJACK ON
Thinking about getting a low-jack, my rig might not be worth that much but I spent alot of money and time on it. Hate to see it stolen, for $700 seems like pretty good insurance.
HIJACK OFF/

HawkDriver said:
Except for Cam's idea with explosives, that makes dishonest people dead. Unfortunately it means you need a new cruiser too :frown:

thats true but at least the bastard would be dead ;)

i had a buddy that put in a cheap "Kraco" stereo equalizer under the dash. It was gutted and only had one working switch. Putting the bass all the way to zero made the ignition switch. Also you can plumb a petcock into your fuel system. just switch it to off when you leave it. The truck will start and drive about a block before it dies out. No good thief is going to work on a broken truck to steal it.
The cool thing about the petcock is most theives cant get any real mony for a beater landcruiser, they are stealing it to get the rims and tires, maybe some engine parts, or they are stealing it to go joy riding. When it gets stuck or breaks down they are going to leave it in the woods and maybe fawk it up just for fun. With the petcock, they just bail. Now they are in public veiw, and out of gas. hopefully they wont be in a place where they can strip it.

I picked up a bikini top and a Tuffy security console yesterday and am ready to go topless. That brings up questions of security. I was thinking of wiring in some type of ignition or starter kill switch and installing it inside the Tuffy console. I was thinking of just picking up a togle switch at Radio Shack for the job.

I'm always thinking about this kinda think. I'm overly anel and hate the idea of somebody getting a one up on me so here's what I would do.

1) Bank of switches, run it so you're cutting power to either the coil or fuel pump. Run the wire through as many switches as you can one up two down one up or whatever so they need the right combo. 2 Switches gives you 4 options 3 gives you 8 and so on so the more you add the harder it would be.

2) Two switches two places, that would me more secure then option 1 I think.

3) If you already have a deck in there use the remote output on it to go to a latching relay then to your coil or fuel pump. This way somebody would need to put your face plate on and turn the deck on just to start it. After that it could be taken off if you had a latching relay or left on if you didn't....

GOOD LUCK!!

Wow, these are some great ideas!

I think that I will run an electrical toggle switch for the coil into the Tuffy box and install an inline fuel hose valve located in another place.

With those two, unless the thief tows it away, it will take far too long to figure out both devices.

Thanks for the help!

If you have a tow bar on your front bumper, you may make a thief's job easier! Find a way to disable it or remove it. Any ideas on securing tow bars other than locking the ball coupler closed? Keep 'em safe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom