Topless?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm faced with a dilemma that hopefully some of you can relate to. My 1973 FJ40 is a very modest lady.....she's never had her top off once in her whole life. So I'm coming to the forum to ask for advice and opinions on the topic of how much does "modesty" affect the value of an FJ40.

When I purchased her from Larry, the original owner that bought her off JOE REDFORD'S Toyota of Riverside lot on 2/28/73 he said "I think the top comes off, but I've never tried." Based on the condition of the bolts (and the fact there are none missing) around the top I have no reason to doubt his statement. I'm dying to see/drive this thing topless but I'm wondering if it would greatly affect the value to lose the "never had the top off" status. Does that really matter at all? I understand that I need to be careful while remove bolts and not damage anything in the process, but is there huge dollars associated with an FJ40 that never gone topless?

My situation is a little bit tricky in that Larry added a cheesy dome light in the center of the ceiling because he didn't think the stock one above the drivers door pillar was sufficient, and in doing so caused the headliner to fall. That being said, if I want to install a new correct headliner I'm going to have to remove AT LEAST the top fiberglass, at which point I will re-gelcoat the white top. That's really about the last thing I need to do to this completely stock, no rust, all original FJ40. It doesn't leak or require a new headliner or gelcoat to drive or enjoy, but I need to do it to make myself happy. When I perform that task, it will effectively mean the statement of "never had the top off" will technically not apply so should I even worry about it at all?

I realize that most of you will say "just do what you want and enjoy it" and I completely understand that. In fact, that is exactly what I will do UNLESS the consensus is that it would significantly reduce value by removing the top. I really think it will look cool with no top and no roll bar so we'll see what the response is. Thanks for any and all input. This site really is amazing.

Oh.....and I'm still looking for even ONE of the little clips that hold the engine crank handle behind the drivers seat on the fender well if anyone has one sitting around.

Last edited:
It's your 40, enjoy it however you see fit!

I pull my top off every summer. It is one of my favorite things about owning an FJ40. You haven't lived until the wind is in your hair driving down a bumpy dirt road. Value is a very subjective thing, worry less about it and do whatever you want with your cruiser. 👍

I don't believe that "never had the top off" has anything to add or subtract from the value.

No matter how careful you try to be, odds are you are going to damage one or more of the bolts and/or screws holding down the top.

As soon as you remove the top you're going to need to replace ALL the rubber seals.

You are going to have to decide; keep it as is so you can sell it later as original or fix and use it the way you want and enjoy it.

Ok I kinda figured the general opinion would be "do what you want and enjoy it," I just didn't want to lose $10k in value by taking it off for the first time in 50 years.

When I do....I'll post pictures.

+1 its yours, do what ever turns your crank.

I have a 72 FJ40 with a 76 hardtop that I got in 1982. I have never taken the top or doors off. I will say the top survived a low speed roll over - doubtful I'd be typing now if that top was off at the time.

Having a bad headliner and possible mystery rust under the windshield and top seals is a bigger downer than a 40 that has had its top off.

Don't be concerned about value, enjoy your 40. I haven't ran a top for decades. B4 that, it came off and on in 1 piece. It would be nice to figure out how the run some sort of bikini top if you dont hsve a roll bar. If your top is decent, my only recomendations is to remove it in 1 piece. Get a couple of friends and lift it off. Try to work the bolts back and forth so they dont break if you can. You might try soaking them with something like pb blaster b4 removing them . Work the bolts back and forth. Drilling out broken bolts can be a pain, but it happens.

Mine has never been off either as far as I can tell, but definitely planning on it soon now that it's in daily driver running condition. Plan to drive the heck out of it for awhile before diving into some lite bodywork in the fall.

i-JQffhZT-L.jpg

Let's see some pics of your never-topless-original-40!

I definitely don’t think there’s $10k in lost value from taking it off. Maybe if you ever sell it there’s 1 guy out there that would beat you up on price about why’d you take the top off. In general, I don’t think 99% could prove the top hasn’t been off even when they claim that. Take your top off, it’s freeing. And where you live, it’s too damn hot to not go topless. You, me and @KingAir Driver can meet up and have a topless blue parade.
IMG_6165.jpeg
IMG_4315.jpeg
IMG_4318.jpeg

I definitely don’t think there’s $10k in lost value from taking it off. Maybe if you ever sell it there’s 1 guy out there that would beat you up on price about why’d you take the top off. In general, I don’t think 99% could prove the top hasn’t been off even when they claim that. Take your top off, it’s freeing. And where you live, it’s too damn hot to not go topless. You, me and @KingAir Driver can meet up and have a topless blue parade. View attachment 3378183View attachment 3378184View attachment 3378185
In agreement with you. Seems like in taking the top off, verifying there is no hidden rust and/or fixing/treating what may be there, replacing the now crumbling weatherstripping and seals, and being able to communicate all that to a potential buyer - would actually add to the value, rather than detract from it. And the benefits of enjoying with the top off are a huge bonus!

IMG_5105.jpeg

Read through all the “regrets for selling 40” threads first, that should take care of the worries regarding top removal. Mine‘s been off for 10 years now, I leave the hard doors on and have a bikini. For me it’s the best of both worlds.

As others have said, have new rubber ready for when it goes back on. I’d cleanup under the windshield as well (lay it forward) and replace that rubber gasket before the top goes back on.

For me, taking the hardtop off was a way to get to know the vehicle better. Took it off in three pieces - I'm a one man operation. Ordered new bolts because I knew some would break. Replaced all the seals. There's no way this diminished value. Plus it's fun to drive it topless. Got a bikini top for a little shade. The top is designed to come off - take it off, put it back on. Why not.

I'm glad to hear that it shouldn't affect the value. I'm really excited to see it off....without a rollbar. But that brings up a completely new question. Is there any way to do some sort of bikini top without a rollbar? I imagine no but figured it ask.

I'm glad to hear that it shouldn't affect the value. I'm really excited to see it off....without a rollbar. But that brings up a completely new question. Is there any way to do some sort of bikini top without a rollbar? I imagine no but figured it ask.

Use a soft top bow. If you lived closer I'd give you one.

You might even discover these cool little paper production tags on the back of your jumpseats.

IMG_4864.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom